mike avad

tiller

mike avad
Posted (edited)

I have a wheel horse tiller and its linking gear oil in 2 spots I hate to have to take the gear case apart. how hard is it to replace the gasket? and am new to this wheel horse. There not tag on this so am not sure the year of this. is there a site that will show me step by step to repair this?

Edited by mike avad
mis spelling
  • Like 1

kpinnc

I'd be willing to bet you $10 that one or more of the seals is leaking, and it only appears to be the gasket. 

But, replacing the gasket is easy. Removing the tines, and getting the case apart without breaking it can be the tough part. 

• Like 3

c-series don

Having done this before I can tell you that it’s a pretty simple process. If you’re going to replace the gasket and you have it apart you might as well replace the seals on the tine shaft. The gasket and seal kit is available through Wheel Horse Parts and More. The hardest part may be getting the tines off of the shafts. I fought with mine and ended up heating them up with a torch where they slid onto the shafts then IMMEDIATELY putting it to work in hard ground. That was the only way I could get them to break free of the shafts. If you don’t have a torch I’d try removing the bolts that hold the tines on and then using it for a while to break them free.There’s really not that lot going on in the gear box, so taking it apart and laying out the pieces step by step is easy. If you can post pictures of your tiller we can help you figure out what kit you need and probably get you the schematic for it. 

• Like 3

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, mike avad said:

is there a site that will show me step by step to repair this?

You are at the BEST site/ forum to get all the help you need…

• Like 3

Brockport Bill
10 hours ago, mike avad said:

I have a wheel horse tiller and its linking gear oil in 2 spots I hate to have to take the gear case apart. how hard is it to replace the gasket? and am new to this wheel horse. There not tag on this so am not sure the year of this. is there a site that will show me step by step to repair this?

i have seen a You Tube of guy taking apart the tiller and doing maintenance on gear box -- gasket etc -- try You Tube search

• Like 1

mike avad

Thank you all for your reply's.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Noticed a service note on this parts illustration that I have never seen before.

Item #28 retaining ring 

These are made by a stamping process that leaves the edges of one side of the ring rounded and the other side sharp. The sharp edge holds better than the rounded edge.

Never seen that instruction before but was always aware of it.

Started out looking to see if all tillers used double seals on the tine shafts. The outer goes in backwards to keep dirt out and the inner goes in normally to keep the oil in. Good idea to add a bit of grease between the seals so the outer has some lubrication.

Tiller 07-36TL02 tine seals.jpg

• Like 2