JCMLDB

Help Please! Belt Guard 1961 Suburban 551

JCMLDB

Hello!  Hoping someone might be able to help me.  I have largely completed a restoration of my 1961 Suburban 551 that was bought new and has sat in a shed for 50 years, but I’m missing a belt guard.  There is one for sale on e-bay, but it’s expensive and I want to be sure I’m buying the right one for my tractor.  I think it’s correct after going through the past posts.  I think I need the one with the cross raised ridges.  The eBay listing is at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/126316588705. Mine has the 5.5hp engine.  If a member could confirm I would be much appreciative!

8ntruck

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the forum.

I'm not a Suburban guy, but one will probably be by shortly. 

Good bunch of people here.  Collectivally, I think we've probably broken and fixed everything on a Wheel Horse that can be broken and fixed.  The majority of are willing to offer advice.  A surprising amount will be helpful - but, there are always those jokers out there.....

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Jake is a pretty smart fella.  I don’t know about the value, but if he says it’s correct it probably is.

• Like 1

evanloock
Posted (edited)

It is the correct one.  It is the thin belt guard used on the 551.  Just checked the parts book and my early 551 with the Suburban metal tag serial #; that is the correct guard.   Mine has the extra hole as well.   Apparently all the 3999 guards had the extra hole so they could be used on both the 3 piece and 2 piece transmissions when they ran out of the earlier guards

Edited by evanloock
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

clueless

If it's Jakes small engine site and he says it's the right one, you can take that to the bank:handgestures-thumbupright:.

• Like 1

wallfish

Whew, parts costs are shooting through the roof.

I've bought whole Suburban tractors with a belt guard on them for close to that.

• Like 2

JCMLDB

Thanks very much everyone!  Evanloock: I appreciate you helping me out.  The last part is purchased!

I have had the tractor restored by a fellow near where I live. He rebored the original engine which we thought was a Tecumseh but is a Lausen, replaced piston and rings (one bought in Texas and the other in Pennsylvania) sandblasted/repainted, new rubber, new decals, rebuilt starter +++ and exactly 14 months to complete.  The guy keeps asking me why I want to put so much $ into a “garden tractor” as he mostly restores larger farm tractors.  I say to him that it was the tractor I grew up riding on as a kid and has been with us for 60+ years and…it’s beautiful!  It was parked in a shed 50 years ago and was going to be “recycled” before I saved it.  Can’t wait to pick it up.  

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 3

oliver2-44
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, JCMLDB said:

He rebored the original engine which we thought was a Tecumseh but is a Lausen,

Lauson became Tecumseh, so parts are interchangeable 

Edited by oliver2-44

JCMLDB

If I could ask one follow-up question…I received the belt guard from Jake’s. There are three bolts required to affix it to the tractor. Could someone direct me to where I might find out what size those bolts might be. Again, thank you.