fourwheelhorseman

753 small oversight

fourwheelhorseman

I was just looking at my fine new tractor  reassembling the starter generator and noticed somthing I’ve not ever noticed till now… I’m missing g the points cover as well as the small screws to hold it on! Anyone have an extra that they would let go of? 

image.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine

What's the distance between the bolt holes?

squonk

All K series Kohler points covers are the same. I have a cover but no grommet or screws

• Like 1

fourwheelhorseman

I can probably find one locally,the screws are probably going to be the hardest thing to find. I can’t beleive I didn’t see that! 

ebinmaine
53 minutes ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

the screws are probably going to be the hardest thing to find. 

I'd bet if you borrowed a screw from another Kohler and took it to a good hardware store they'd have a few. 

Alternatively,  I could get you the size and head type and you could get some from K. L. Jack or Bolt Depot or McMaster Carr.  

ri702bill

New aftermarket cover and seperate gasket available on the "Jungle" site - not exactly cheap. No screws. (Same size screw as the 2 that mount the points...)

Look on the wire going to the points - the grommet MAY still be there.

• Like 1

Achto
5 hours ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

I’m missing g the points cover as well as the small screws to hold it on!

Those screws are 10-24 x 3/8". Phillips or Allen head, either one will work. Available at any hardware store.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
5 hours ago, squonk said:

All K series Kohler points covers are the same. I have a cover but no grommet or screws

There ya go ... grommets on flea bay & Kohler shops. 

12 minutes ago, Achto said:

Those screws are 10-24 x 3/8". Phillips or Allen head, either one will work. Available at any hardware store.

:text-yeahthat:

Not that it makes any difference you may have a service motor ther. Horizontal coil mount is a tell tale.  

JimSraj

Looking to learn something here. What’s a service motor?

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

WHX??
Posted (edited)

A dealer replacement motor Jim.  Most likely doesn't have WH specs and different in other aspects but designed to be a "universal" replacement to cover most applications. Often required specific parts from OEM motor for OEM function. Sometimes sold as a "short block" just requiring more parts from motor being replaced. Sheet metal, ignition components, starters etc. 

Another tell tale is a service motor (Kohlers) are painted in a light gray primer looking color. Sometimes painted OEM color by the dealer. An upcharge customers often declined. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, JimSraj said:

Looking to learn something here. What’s a service motor?

Thanks in advance. 

5 hours ago, WHX?? said:

A dealer replacement motor Jim

Appreciate that definition Jim. 

I've also seen a few black engines. 

Some refer to them as "Counter Engines".

Same basic idea in universality but a Counter engine was built to be sold complete and installed in whatever machine it was needed. 

Here in Portland Maine there's a Toro dealer and Kohler dealer almost across the street from each other. Both have used them. Lots of car manufacturers do similar. 

• Like 1