Ex wh1257

New wheel horse c195

Ex wh1257

Hello, I recently bought this Wheel Horse C195, unfortunately it no longer has the original engine. Now I have to find an original engine for it. This is going to be a tough search.

569F4084-9263-4FCF-998F-A3C2E3471987.jpeg

69F1250A-8EEA-462B-817F-9FAAF4B810AB.jpeg

ABD32081-3D74-45B8-ABB0-FD94E1BF7086.jpeg

B3A6AF9C-73B3-473A-A135-E34733CB688A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Ex wh1257 said:

Hello, I recently bought this Wheel Horse C195, unfortunately it no longer has the original engine. Now I have to find an original engine for it. This is going to be a tough search

Nice find!

If you're genuinely interested in making that a factory correct restoration then of course only the original type engine will do. 

However....

If what you want is a great worker...

That V engine is a popular repower  option over here. 

Likely superior to the original engine in several ways. 

• Excellent 1

leabassett@sbcglobal.net

Is she a runner? If so I would use it while you look for the motor.

• Like 1

Ex wh1257
2 hours ago, leabassett@sbcglobal.net said:

Is she a runner? If so I would use it while you look for the motor.

yes, it is a runner, of course it will stay that way for a while until I find a motor, but I would still like to make it original again, and I am still looking for the original clutch complete with the switch-on part, we will see hopefully. we find something

• Like 2

8ntruck

You will want to locate a Kohler KT 19.  Both series I and series II KT 19's were used in the C-195.  The Series II is preferred, because it has an improved full pressure oiling system.  The Series I engines were said to run into oiling issues when operated on sloping ground.  

The hour meter in my C-195 is a little over 1200 hours.  The original Series I engine runs fairly well, smokes a little, and has an oil leak.  I'm pretty sure it is a crank seal.  Going to chase that down this summer.

Koehler lists the KT 19 as obsolete.  Parts support is limited.

Good looking tractor.  That 3 point hitch is interesting.

• Like 1

Ex wh1257
55 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

You will want to locate a Kohler KT 19.  Both series I and series II KT 19's were used in the C-195.  The Series II is preferred, because it has an improved full pressure oiling system.  The Series I engines were said to run into oiling issues when operated on sloping ground.  

The hour meter in my C-195 is a little over 1200 hours.  The original Series I engine runs fairly well, smokes a little, and has an oil leak.  I'm pretty sure it is a crank seal.  Going to chase that down this summer.

Koehler lists the KT 19 as obsolete.  Parts support is limited.

Good looking tractor.  That 3 point hitch is interesting.

It will be difficult for parts, yes, I would be happy if I could find a completely running engine

• Like 2

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Ex wh1257 said:

I would be happy if I could find a completely running engine

Is there such a thing as a tractor/ machinery salvage yard or used parts operation over there?

I'm NO expert on engine swaps or parts exchanges but it's possible your machine already has been modified in the wiring harness to accept the more modern (magneto?) powerplant. 

Maybe you could find a Kohler K-series but also keep your eyes open for a Magnum engine. 

Very similar in physical attributes but Magnum uses a different ignition. No points. 

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: Good point Eric.  I think that the opposed twin Magnums have the updated full pressure oil system as the KT Series II engines.

I'm keeping an eye out for a replacement/upgrade engine for my C-195.  I'll add a Magnum to my look for list.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

There is a member @Skipper in Denmark that has a C195. He had done a number of testing and upgrades to it.  You can do a search by “author” and all his post will come up. He also may be a source for an engine as I seem to recall he imports a a container of WH from the states now and then. 

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Nice find!

If you're genuinely interested in making that a factory correct restoration then of course only the original type engine will do. 

However....

If what you want is a great worker...

That V engine is a popular repower  option over here. 

Likely superior to the original engine in several ways. 

As much as I like the Kohler Twins I have to agree wit Eric, that V engine is a winner,      :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

case442

Very nice find and a later 83-84 model with the hydraulic levers up on the fender. I would also look for a magnum twin if it was me.

• Like 1

kpinnc
43 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

As much as I like the Kohler Twins I have to agree wit Eric, that V engine is a winner, 

I agree. I can't speak for Predator engines personally, but lots of folks have repowered with them. 

I have two tractors repowered with Vanguard V-twins, and will be adding a third very soon. They are outstanding engines. It will be years before I can speak on longevity, but so far awesome. 

Personally, I wouldn't go back to the opposed twins on that C195 unless it's a very low hour or recently rebuilt Magnum. Your current engine is relatively new, and can be replaced in one piece for less than what a Magnum and rebuild parts would be. 

But nothing wrong with looking. You might find what you're looking for. In the meantime, enjoy the tractor like it is. Happy tractors are workers! :thumbs:

• Excellent 2

WHX??

Yes what you have there is a 1984... last year made and yes KT-19 series 1. 

The really bad news is finding one without needing a ton of love and $$. You'll find plenty of carcasses and school of thought is they are not worth rebuilding. Not Kohler's best motor and although the series II supposedly had the oiling bug worked out the bad rap stuck. 

That said and having graduated from the school of orginal myself all is not lost. 

Best bet is look for the red Cubs or IHs as they used KTs both 1 and 2. I recently passed on a IH 782 that had a good KT in it. They seemed to hold up better for some odd reason. They were a different spec of course but could be adapted. 

I sold my Super C to a member here who repoed it. KT in it ran ok but was a smoker for sure and most likely bad rings. He may have that motor yet if interested in rebuilding one. 

20200606_122816.jpg

• Excellent 1

bds1984
On 4/7/2024 at 9:15 PM, WHX?? said:

Best bet is look for the red Cubs or IHs as they used KTs both 1 and 2. I recently passed on a IH 782 that had a good KT in it. They seemed to hold up better for some odd reason. They were a different spec of course but could be adapted. 

I sold my Super C to a member here who repoed it. KT in it ran ok but was a smoker for sure and most likely bad rings. He may have that motor yet if interested in rebuilding one. 

I've seen quite a few Cubs and JDs with KT19s, but they will not work because of the WH style clutch and the need for an internal thrust bearing.  However, every KT19 I've seen in a JD or Cub had a ventilated block so it couldn't be used anyways! 
I had a really nice 1984 C195 that I still regret selling nearly a decade later.