Rattlecan

Rj 58 mower deck

Rattlecan

Have not posted anything since y’all helped me out with Rj 58 I had just acquired. It’s still running fine, thanks to all the info I got here. I happened across a mower deck that I think fits it. (I learned the first time to post picture). Can anyone verify what deck this is and if it is for a Rj 58 and if it has all its parts. Also, does is there a schematic for it available. The spindles and gears appear to be in descent shape. One spindle has sone slop but haven’t taken it apart until I got some advice here. I don’t know if there are bearings or what under the flat gear on the spindle. I did not see anything in the manuals section here but I could have missed it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

B4F65A65-D05B-414E-9DCF-9947A9A0258D.jpeg

wallfish
Posted (edited)

Yes, that's an RJ deck

Maybe this will help

Edited by wallfish

Rattlecan

That’s perfect. Looks like I have most of the parts intact. Looks fairly straight forward.  You helped me out last time too. . Many thanks. 

• Like 1

wallfish

Glad to help and that's exactly why we're here.

The earlier RJ decks had square gear covers. So that one is a later model.

Now you only need to go out and find the other 21 attachments for your RJ! LOL  I have a RJ brochure. it has "22 Attaching Tools" listed

Rattlecan

Are you kidding 22 attachments?  Do you by any chance have the brochure electronically and be willing to share it?  I have only seen pics of  a mower a cultivator, plow, and a front sizzler mower. This deck is the only one I have been able to find in Virginia. 

wallfish
Posted (edited)

Yup, that'll certainly keep you busy huh? The hunt is most of the fun! It states 22 on it but there's 13 pics plus that mower deck.

Think there are better pics of one on here somewhere. I can take close ups for ya too. It opens up long and skinny so not the best scenario for posting pics. Maybe send full size to your email and you could zoom better.

IMG_0601.jpg.56a49c42b3ec7d826824b52dffef38ee.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg.9de32afac6be6ad2a940fdc8dac79cde.jpg

Edited by wallfish
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill
Posted (edited)

@wallfish - John - nice brochure, but it must be an early print. The 23rd option was the salve to ease the pain of roasting your goods.......:angry-screaming:

Edited by ri702bill
  • Haha 1

Rattlecan

Dug into the deck today. One of the spindles had some slop in it and the other one weld was broken at bottom of shaft where the blade is welded on. The spindle with the slop had a bad bearing and cut a groove in the spindle shaft about 1/16 deep and width of the bearing. On the same spindle the gears are worn a little due to the bad bearing but I think there is enough there for it to operate. Bearings on the cross shaft were good and no issues with it. I ground welds off bottom of blade to get the shafts out. I think I’m going to weld up the groove in the shaft and return it on the lathe to bearing ID. And then weld both spindle shafts to the blades again. I ordered 6 new bearings to replace all of them while it is in pieces. Bronze bushing in idler was shot. I think it should be 5/8 I’d and 7/8 old. Still looking for a bronze bushing.  Does any one know of a source for the gears.  Thanks again. 

Rattlecan

Welded up gouged out spindle today. Ground it back down to bearing ID on the lathe and welded spindle shafts to blades. Hung deck shell under the Rj and I think I figured out how it mounts. Went to tractor store and bought idler and made bushing for it, I’m going to use it until I can find bronze bushing for the original. One of the gears is not in great shape, any help with finding one would be much appreciated. I included some photos in case anyone is interested.  Thanks in advance for any help with gears. 

E2746E35-AED0-4C5E-98D7-5B3659754128.jpeg

A5CC1137-B02D-4A37-AD33-71221791B222.jpeg

A8F0836F-9E7B-42CD-922B-DBD14C4CBB2A.jpeg

EE645F31-D99D-4E1A-A2A5-EB9D942D81D7.jpeg

• Like 1

wallfish
Posted (edited)

How bad are the gears? Don't look too bad from the pic but...

They would typically wear off one side of the teeth rounding the engaged side of the teeth. Could it work by swapping the gears to the other side as that would put the "good side" of the teeth on the engaged power side of them. At least until you can find replacements. :twocents-02cents:

Just kind of think'n out loud again. Tend to do that a lot.

Those gears can be found on later Suburban decks too. Put a wanted ad in the classified section on here. Try calling AZ tractors from the vendor section.

Edited by wallfish

Rattlecan

First pic is the set I have concern with. Your thoughts

2708E42E-619E-43D1-853E-DF1847AACF92.jpeg

8DD7E740-DE35-49DE-BFE2-2C125743188C.jpeg

wallfish
Posted (edited)

Hmm. looks like it was tilted and digging in and wearing edges and skipping.

Flip'em and run'em until you can find replacements. They're already broke so see if it works.

Come to think of it, they might be same gears for any gear driven deck. I'll take a look and see if I have anything around but I give mower decks away since I don't use them.

AZ should have gear drive decks that the shell is wasted

Edited by wallfish

Rattlecan

Thanks for your thinking out loud and two cents worth. I talk to myself sometimes. I will look at AZ and see what I can find. Waiting for bearings to be delivered. You give decks away???  You don’t have grass where you live or you cut it something else.

thanks again. 

wallfish
16 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Thanks for your thinking out loud and two cents worth. I talk to myself sometimes. I will look at AZ and see what I can find. Waiting for bearings to be delivered. You give decks away???  You don’t have grass where you live or you cut it something else.

thanks again. 

The grandson cuts the grass now. I keep one deck on a 855 and do it once in a while. Still have one early deck for the RJs too but that thing hasn't seen daylight for 10 years. Used to have a bunch of RJ / Suburban attachments like the Lawn roller, sickle bar, mold board plow, dozer blade etc but only took them out to display at shows WAY back, so let them go for others to enjoy. Did have about 20+ tractors at one time but I haven't been buying tractors for a while now. Still have plenty of misc parts around to keep building custom stuff which is pretty much what i do with WH parts tractors.

Rattlecan

Got the deck back together today. New bearings old gears. Put it together the first time and forgot belt so I did it again. Mowed for about 30 min. Gears a little noisy but it cut pretty good, spindles did not heat up. I’ll go on the hunt for gears now.  Thanks again for the help. 

• Like 1