Wayne0

Plowing this last storm

Wayne0
Posted (edited)

We had 4" of heavy wet slushy snow from this latest fiasco. I didn't even attempt the blower as I knew it would constantly clog. Pulled out Ol' Rusty with the plow and she did fantastic as long I kept the blade less than 1/2 loaded.

Wondering how Eric made out. I hear York County got slammed.

Edited by Wayne0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Dude. 

It was RUGGED.  

• Like 1

JoeM

Crazy weather here, snowing one minute, then rain, then Sunny and repeat. 

Jacket on.....Jacket off.....Jacket on.....Jacket off. 

One minute looking for long underwear then looking for the speed-o. :D

Most folks here are pumping water out of their basements. Lot of rain. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

oliver2-44
48 minutes ago, JoeM said:

then looking for the speed-o. :D

:scared-eek:

• Haha 4

Pullstart
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

looking for the speed-o. :D

49 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Where’s @SylvanLakeWH when ya need to eye poke him!?!?  :lol:

• Haha 4

SylvanLakeWH

Sorry... :hide:

Slacking off...

• Haha 1

kpinnc
4 hours ago, JoeM said:

looking for the speed-o.

I always tell my son to never let things into his mind that he can't get back out.

... I didn't heed my own advice there. :P

• Haha 5

Retired Wrencher
13 hours ago, Wayne0 said:

We had 4" of heavy wet slushy snow from this latest fiasco. I didn't even attempt the blower as I knew it would constantly clog. Pulled out Ol' Rusty with the plow and she did fantastic as long I kept the blade less than 1/2 loaded.

Wayne: Eric and I have the same blower these are tanks meaning big and heavy duty 14hp. Rated at 50’ in powder.These are a young mans game not for old farts like me.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
14 hours ago, Wayne0 said:

We ended up with a 2 day total of 18 inches after it settled. Several Weather Stations in neighboring towns reported slightly higher amounts so it's likely ours was too. 

This was not a "snow" event. 

I'm fairly sure it's actually cement. 

34 minutes ago, Retired Wrencher said:

Wayne: Eric and I have the same blower these are tanks meaning big and heavy duty 14hp. Rated at 50’ in powder.These are a young mans game not for old farts like me.

The snowblower Gary's referring to is an Ariens Commercial walk behind model. 

Mine is a 24" cut with, as Ariens states, a "Super High Output" engine. 

This was to the best of my limited memory the most accumulation of the heaviest snow I've EVER seen. 

Even with our Beast of a snowblower we had to take ½ or even ¼ cuts!!

It would still throw out a good strong 20 to 30 ft. 

• Like 1

ri702bill

Not unlike finding that "happy gear" speed with a WH under full load. 

Met a retired Mobil oil tanker captain from Somerset Massachusetts back in the 70's. His story of riding out an empty ship in the channel for 2 days during the 1954 Hurricane Carol here was amazing.

Full throttle into the wind with all anchors down. Not enough fuel onboard to go for a third day. Ended up about a half mile back up the channel.... he & the crew lived to tell about it.

Bill

• Excellent 1

Darb1964

My plan was to just let mother nature talk care of the six inches of ice balls snow slushy mix the storm dropped in Peru Massachusetts and just drive over it until it melted. Everything was soft from earlier melting and warm temperatures, a good friend helped me out and plowed my lawn all up with his truck. Great guy with the best intentions, ends up like that most years anyway little work and grass seed by June like it never happened.

• Like 3

C-85

In Vermont, we've only plowed about 6 times and 4 of those times after the ground thawed out, so we've dug up the driveway very badly over the winter and now spring!  :angry-tappingfoot:As a result, this last storm we only used our walk behind Ariens snowblower and even that dug in (because the the ground was so soft, mud) and I broke 2 shear pins, which we rarely do!

Here's our fleet of snow equipment, which most of it is useless when the ground is soft! :(

C-85

1055053422_Picsasof2-02-20992.JPG.f82694ffa2669bb4dca12f1d62c727a0.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher
10 hours ago, C-85 said:

In Vermont, we've only plowed about 6 times and 4 of those times after the ground thawed out, so we've dug up the driveway very badly over the winter and now spring!  :angry-tappingfoot:As a result, this last storm we only used our walk behind Ariens snowblower and even that dug in (because the the ground was so soft, mud) and I broke 2 shear pins, which we rarely do!

Here's our fleet of snow equipment, which most of it is useless when the ground is soft! :(

C-85

1055053422_Picsasof2-02-20992.JPG.f82694ffa2669bb4dca12f1d62c727a0.JPG

@C-85 Nice looking line up of power equipment. Not the VT I grew up with the snow amounts. I remember six months of winter back then. 

• Like 1