WheelHorseVH

Deestone Ag fake size

WheelHorseVH

What is this garbage? I ordered these highly rated Deestone ags off amazon and got them delivered today. These are supposedly 23x10.5x12 but they look absurdly tiny in front of my currently installed Dico turf tires. They measure barely over 8” of tread width uninstalled. Even if the sidewall balloons out I dont see how these will look right on my 520 wide wheel. 

I am thinking of sending them back tomorrow and coughing up the (much) extra dough for Carlisle Tru Powers instead. I hate to base this too much on looks but I REALLY like the squared aggressive look of the ags some of you have posted vs the rounded ones. Do I just go with the Tru Powers or what?

IMG_2446.jpeg

• Sad 3

ri702bill

Deestones are notorious for running on the small side......

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

mrc

i'll second what  ri702bill said.   if you can afford it, send them back and get what looks good on there.   the reason is simple.  they will be on there for a loooooong time!

regards

mike

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

I have no real world experience with Deestone AG tires but we do have a set of the 8" wheel tri ribs. The tri ribs run fairly true to size. 

As stated above, the AGs unfortunately are infamous for being absolutely tiny in comparison to every other tire of the same written size. 

As to quality,  I can't say as I've read anything bad about the Deestones but it's important to note that they haven't been on the market long enough to compare to some others. 

Another thing important to note is that we here have aggressive terrain in sharp  rocks 🪨 and sticks 🌳🌲🪵 but NO tire poking thorns as I understand some regions do. 

You could go several ways. 

Return the wee bitty tires and attempt to find a written/ stamped size that matches the physical attributes of your current tires. There are websites that list the ACTUAL size of some tires. Not all. 

It may be worth your time to contact a few sellers like Simpletire.com to see what they list for ACTUAL sizes.

Note,  I capitalized again. 

Find a (mid-grade??) tire that'll be a compromise between the great pricing of the Deestone and the correct but expensive Carlisle. 

Was it me?

I know this isn't my money to spend but I'd get the Carlisle Tru Power tires and never look back. 

I "found" them because of my work. We've used them (and others)  on off-road forklifts. They're tough, they wear well, a good tire. 

I have a set here that's been on at least 4 of my own tractors as they switch chores. I think maybe 6 or 7 seasons of year round work combining forest and snow plowing duties. 

I bought mine heavy-duty on purpose. 6 ply Commercial grade. That's not the right decision for everyone. 

Mine were fluid filled when new. I've never added air. 

• Like 1

JoeM
Posted (edited)

image.png.9c4f2d2d4473093db5e3a9aff98a2b2d.png

The  Deestone 405 tires they are pretty tough 6 ply.

Yes, they run smaller to size and don't have that monster tire look. There probably is several threads here covering the smaller to size issue. The jungle site reviews can be dicy.

I have run them on a couple FEL machines with no issues. i have also ran the tru powers. I seen no difference in traction or durability other then the later is much more expensive for the look.

Really can't tell you what to do just what I know. 

These are the deestones on the loaders. Pretty sure I put them on 7 inch wide rims. 

image.png.553e6e9b889220106a6535834b1aabe8.png

image.png.121547121524344777c797590401a637.pngimage.png.cf3201eabbd878fba0c4c9ae64854aa1.png

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 3

Pullstart

They are indeed smaller, but we have covered this subject many times, enough that it shouldn’t be much a surprise to anyone any more.  I love the way my Deestones perform and have held up, but they are indeed smaller than they claim to be.

• Like 1

JoeM

Wonder if the 26x12-12 run small, those can be had for the price of one tru power. 

Plus I am not sure if all the tires are made off shore?? Ordered some Carlisle trailer tires that I had before made in us and they are now off shore. 

i know i have just about give up on the bearings made in us. I have ordered OE bearing and they are the same off shore ones I can get at a third of cost. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, JoeM said:

bearing

Not to venture too far :text-offtopic: 

I stopped using "new" bearings as much as possible. 

NOS whenever I can find them.  

23 minutes ago, JoeM said:

Ordered some Carlisle trailer tires that I had before made in us and they are now off shore

I've been told the Tru Power tires are imports as well. 

Can't confirm as I haven't bought any in years.  

Sparky

I had a set of the 8.5 Deestone AG’s …they were tough and wore well. They are smaller as we all know and I feel they are better suited, as far as looks go, on a 60’s short frame and not a 520/H (for example). 
  The folks who bought em off me installed them on a 60’s short frame and I think they look proportional and great.

WHX??

Ordering tires off the internet is like a box of chocolates. Unfortunately not many places other than TSC have them on hand for pre inspection. Even then they will only have one of and not on the desired size. 

No idea I was going to get these 23 10.5s monsters when I pulled the trigger. 

20180111_170602.jpg

20180111_170538.jpg

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
Posted (edited)

I second just about everything here. I too am looking at rear ag's to put on my Raider 12. I was looking at some different brands and I was wondering if anyone had tried these two for comparison? 

I like this one simply because the brand is horseshoe and that seems ironic

https://www.amazon.com/HORSESHOE-23x10-50-12-Trencher-Tubeless-23x10-5-12/dp/B09XXGS9JJ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

These are fieldmaster off ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264333114580

Edited by Mike'sHorseBarn
  • Like 2

rmaynard

Interestingly, I had a set of Carlisle 23 x 9.5 x 12 tires on the rear of my 416-H. I had a set of snow chains that fit perfectly. When the time came to replace the tires, I did so with Deestone 23 x 9.5 x 12's. I could not get the show chains on because the Deestones were wider than the Carlisles. Go figure. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I have no real world experience with Deestone AG tires

29 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I had a set of the 8.5 Deestone AG’s …they were tough and wore well. They are smaller as we all know and I feel they are better suited, as far as looks go, on a 60’s short frame and not a 520/H (for example). 
  The folks who bought em off me installed them on a 60’s short frame and I think they look proportional and great.

Hey thanks for the reminder!!

I'd forgotten...  those were what's on Millie tractor right?

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

It's not just Deestones... 23x10.5x12 Carlisle's same size bought about 2 years apart... :confusion-confused: 

Right - made in USA...

Left - not made in USA...

:(

IMG_1056.jpeg

• Like 1

JoeM
3 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

It's not just Deestones... 23x10.5x12 Carlisle's same size bought about 2 years apart... :confusion-confused: 

Right - made in USA...

Left - not made in USA...

That is interesting. big difference. 

JoeM

I have pretty much settled on an all terrain tire now. I have not had to use chains since. 

A buck and a half a pair on the bay. 

I have them on my loader and one xi mower. They run close on size 

image.png.be185364dc1db03cacf11da644be54a4.png

• Like 1

Sparky
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Hey thanks for the reminder!!

I'd forgotten...  those were what's on Millie tractor right?

Correct! 

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Correct! 

Me n my memory.....

:ROTF:

So yeah.......

7 hours ago, Sparky said:

The

BBT

who bought em off me installed them on a 60’s short frame and I think they look proportional and great

Agreed.  

18 hours ago, WheelHorseVH said:

Deestone

For the record,  Trina does like the performance of these tires. 

But Mike's right. They look sized about right for a small 60s short frame rig. 

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, JoeM said:

I have pretty much settled on an all terrain tire now. I have not had to use chains since. 

A buck and a half a pair on the bay. 

I have them on my loader and one xi mower. They run close on size 

image.png.be185364dc1db03cacf11da644be54a4.png

I've looked at those too. 

Haven't needed new tires lately. 

If I did I'd be most likely to try something like these. 

My only concern would be performance in a greasy type mud or rotted leaves.  

WheelHorseVH

I decided to return the Deestones and get Carlisle tru powers. Fortunately they arrived before I got the Deestones sent back so I could truly compare. Heres a picture of them side by side. 

I guess I never knew that tire sizes had become “nominal sizing”. I always thought that it was exact. Like 235/45r15 was supposed to represent the exact amount of rubber used in the cross section, height, etc. If that is not the case, manufacturers should be required to put ACTUAL dimensions on every tire. 

@mrc Mike you are right, these are gonna be on there a very long time so I decided to bite the bullet instead of being unhappy every time I look at them installed. 

IMG_2456.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, WheelHorseVH said:

manufacturers should be required to put ACTUAL dimensions on every tire

Absolutely agreed 

4 hours ago, WheelHorseVH said:

235/45r15 was supposed to represent the exact amount of rubber used in the cross section, height, etc

Vehicle sizes have always been much closer but still vary some,  depending on tire type in particular, and manufacturer.

The cross section measurement is usable for the total outside width so an aggressive tread with squared edges can appear quite different than a more traditional All season. 

That same difference in tread design can affect the diameter as well. 

Certainly nothing like the obvious lack of reasoning behind this thread's subject. 

mrc

hi wheelhorseVH,

in the past i bought carlisles for two reasons:

#1....USA made

#2....ran true to size or very close.

not too long ago though i bought some carlisles and they were made offshore. carlisle put "made in XXX"  on the bead lip.  that way once mounted you could not tell where they were made.  pretty sneaky!  i did not like that.

you made the right decision.   over time as you look at your 520 you will say to yourself  'boy those ag's look good'  each time that happens the extra money will seem smaller and smaller.

BTW,  where were the carlisle ag's made?

regards

mike

• Like 1

WheelHorseVH

@mrc Mike, thankfully they say Made in USA on mine. I got Firestone to mount them for me today.

Let me tell you, putting those wheels back on is a chore! Definitely need a studded hub for sure. I am probably not the first person to do this but I got so fed up after trying for 5 min to line up the holes that i put one of the bolts in from the backside of the hub so it kinda stuck out like a stud, hung the wheel on it and threaded the other four bolts in before backing it out and putting it in the right way. Here are the beautiful results:

IMG_2474.jpeg

• Excellent 1