D_Mac

One Ugly Tractor

D_Mac

So the other day I stumbled upon this ad for a free tractor. I called the number and the gentleman I spoke with said it runs but has deck issues and needs a battery. I asked where he was and turns out he is not far from my mom's house. So I hopped in the truck and drove over. As I pulled into the driveway I saw it and my first thought was to turn around and leave. I parked and got out of the truck and walked over to it. Omg, has this thing been in a fire ? I asked my self. The man came out and told me he had it since new. He was to old to monkey with the deck so he bought a new JD. I asked about the hood and he said its plastic and broke and thats how he fixed it.Then he asked.... want to hear it run? It had no battery in it and I was trying to back out of it nicely. I said nooo I don't want to have you get a battery out. He said no trouble. So he pointed out a battery in the garage and I put it in. Didn't the thing just fire right up and sound so smooth. I jumped on it... forward... backward yup. So I told him I would drive it to my mother's house and be back with his battery and my truck. So I drove it all the way to my mom's and she drove me back in her car. Gave him his battery ,thanked him. Soooo now what ? Are there any ugly tractors I can enter? The Briggs 22hp purrrrs like a kitten I really like the hydro foot pedals. All the deck needs is a simple weld. It's broke at one side of the front hanger. It is a Craftsman DLT2000. Wonder what other hood would fit it. I'll get the deck off maybe this weekend and my buddy will weld it up........ then what I don't know.... any ideas?

20240331_145930.jpg

20240331_145935.jpg

20240331_145940.jpg

20240331_145954.jpg

20240331_150010.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Heart 1

squonk

Give these guys a call and see if they know of any salvage yards that have a mower area. Chances are a hood will be cracked but it would be better than that. Taking the hood off and leaving it off would be better too! :helmet:

https://www.brightonmower.com/

• Haha 5

D_Mac

See how he covered up the head lights? Kinda like NASCAR. I also like how he glued the towel over the seat.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

JoeM

take an angle grinder and smooth it out.....just maybe......maybe not 

nothing to loose.

• Haha 1

wallfish

Make the rest of the tractor look like the hood and it won't look so bad anymore. Symmetry ! LOL

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

SylvanLakeWH

Just run it... free... :twocents-twocents:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

D_Mac
41 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Make the rest of the tractor look like the hood and it won't look so bad anymore. Symmetry ! LOL

Lol it does already. Notice the seat. Tires don't match. Runs so good though. Guess you can't judge a book by its cover !

• Like 2

rjg854

Ask greasy Pete how he'd bring that hood back.  :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 6

Sailman

:jaw:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill
39 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Guess you can't judge a book by its cover !

That there book Don't have a cover!! Just treat it like the proverbial "Redheaded Stepchild", no more!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut

Just make your own Wood Hood.                                                        :ROTF:

• Excellent 3
  • Haha 1

Achto

Pretty sure a good buff job would fix that hood right up. :handgestures-thumbupright: :lol:

• Haha 5

8ntruck
Posted (edited)

I dunno.  That hood gives the tractor a certain amount of character.  I'm just rolling my mental rolodex trying to come up with the right horror movie monster character.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell

Cut back on the hardener and trowel on a few more layers of Bondo.    She'll smooth right out.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

87 416-8 horse
Posted (edited)

Rattle can the hood and paint or make  an eye patch over the bad spot. Then throw it on Craigslist or marketplace.:twocents-02cents:

Edited by 87 416-8 horse
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac
8 hours ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

Rattle can the hood and paint or make  an eye patch over the bad spot. Then throw it on Craigslist or marketplace.:twocents-02cents:

The whole thing is a bad spot !

• Haha 2

D_Mac
9 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

I dunno.  That hood gives the tractor a certain amount of character.  I'm just rolling my mental rolodex trying to come up with the right horror movie monster.

To me it looks like Freddy. Red and black sweater with a scarey face !

Freddy_Krueger_(Robert_Englund).jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

squonk
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

To me it looks like Freddy. Red and black sweater with a scarey face !

Freddy_Krueger_(Robert_Englund).jpg

There you go. Paint it up all scary looking, attach one of your trailers and give hayrides up and down the street for the kiddies on Halloween! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2