brentvdg

Crusty Hubcaps - Tips on removal?

brentvdg

Hi All - I brought home a new horse last week, my first 314H.

The prior owners neglected it pretty bad, but I'm doing my best to bring her back to good health. Despite the lack of care, it actually had a set of hubcaps, that I'd love to refurbish, but I'm having a hard time getting them off the wheels. 

Do any of you have any advice on removal without much damage?

Thanks!

Brent

Ed Kennell

Did you try tapping this under the edges?

/Draper 30975 PB 355mm Pry Bar/Nail Puller | /Draper 30975 PB 355mm Pry Bar/Nail Puller ...

• Excellent 2

ri702bill

Are not the 12" ones held in with clips thru the 1/2" square holes??

peter lena

@brentvdg  , have any KROIL  PENETRATING OIL ?  pete

JCM
Posted (edited)

Go in from the back side through one of the holes for the wheel weights with something round and lightly tap it not to dent the outer side of the hubcap. @brentvdg Don't pry it from the front if they are in nice shape.

Edited by JCM

brentvdg

Hi All,

I got them off. I initially started with the toughest one earlier, so thought they were all on there really tight. The crowbar with a rubber mallet did the trick. I am still perplexed about how I found wasp nests, some sort of poop and tons of grime behind these things. Oh well, onto the elbow grease portion of the job. Thank you all for the suggestions!

Brent

brentvdg
2 minutes ago, JCM said:

Go in from the back side through one of the holes for the wheel weights with something round and lightly tap it not to dent the outer side of the hubcap. @brentvdg Don't pry it from the front if they are in nice shape.

Well, they weren't in nice shape, so went from the front. I got through it with minimal damage....nothing I can't fix up. Thanks!

• Like 1