YazellFarm

Older style axle bracket, 520H

YazellFarm

Hello everyone. This forum has been vital for me being getting an old tiller to work for my 1988 520H.

I have the newer style axle bracket that mounts top/bottom of axle. I also have an older style tiller (pre 73) that needs the axle bracket that mounts front/back.

Can anybody point me in the direction of the right axle bracket I need to make this tiller work? I already bought the mid-mount pulley and bracket after advice from this forum, but after searching the forum, I realized I need the older style axle bracket.

I attached a photo for reference. 

20240401_160018.jpg

YazellFarm

Nobody knows? 

sergeant
6 minutes ago, YazellFarm said:

Nobody knows? 

Contact Pull start he might know :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Moparfanforever

Will the tiller fit into the bracket on the tractor??

Looks like the cross shaft on the tiller may be to wide, can you cut some off of each side??

The older style blade/tiller bracket is basically the same. The older style bracket will mount the tiller closer to the tractor,you would need at least a shorter belt. 

Maybe Wheel Horse Parts & More makes an older style bracket that you can compare pics. 

Moparfanforever

image.png.f3f7e938eebf12f609b62f5b43c3be4d.png

• Like 1

Moparfanforever
Posted (edited)

Older style bracket pic. from parts and more. 

Edited by Moparfanforever

YazellFarm
26 minutes ago, Moparfanforever said:

Will the tiller fit into the bracket on the tractor??

Looks like the cross shaft on the tiller may be to wide, can you cut some off of each side??

The older style blade/tiller bracket is basically the same. The older style bracket will mount the tiller closer to the tractor,you would need at least a shorter belt. 

Maybe Wheel Horse Parts & More makes an older style bracket that you can compare pics. 

That is the issue I'm facing, the cross shaft is too wide. I saw the narrowed ends and thought that maybe the older bracket was wider and the narrowed ends of the cross shaft fit?

It sounds like my best bets are to either narrow the cross shaft, remount my current brackets to be wider, or buy the old style bracket and find a different belt. Part of me is thinking about taking the cross shaft entirely and inserting a narrower cross shaft. All things to consider, but thanks for the picture of the older style bracket. I found it on the website and will favorite it in case I go that route. 

Moparfanforever
Posted (edited)

Would like to see a picture of the tiller if possible, I personally do not know the difference in the older style tiller. I think it is just the brackets on the front of the tiller. 

Looks like maybe your axle brackets doesn't have the locating bar welded to them and you need to slide them out farther. 

You can pull your hubs out a little to space your tires out and get room for the cross shaft. Looks like the left hub is to close the transmission and it may start grinding into the transmission. 

And it looks like you need a new left side axle seal. The leaky seal should make it easier to pull the hub off and replace the seal. DO NOT use a puller with the arms on the hub if you decide to take the hub off. You may break the hub. 

No need for the tiller picture, I found your post with the pictures. 

Edited by Moparfanforever

Thor27

If I remember correctly (not always the case as I get older) the belt routing for the older style will be the problem on a newer tractor. It routes back next to the existing belt guard instead of under the tractor. That set up would use wider belt guard that will not fit your modern tractor. Though the early frame is nearly the same minus the rear support for the footrest, there is a lot more stuff on your 520.  I have a 68 raider that I put newer the tachamatic points on to use the newer style so I have the older bracket you can have, however I think you will still have belt routing problems. As a suggestion,  I would look to update the tiller instead of retrofitting the tractor.  

YazellFarm
28 minutes ago, Thor27 said:

If I remember correctly (not always the case as I get older) the belt routing for the older style will be the problem on a newer tractor. It routes back next to the existing belt guard instead of under the tractor. That set up would use wider belt guard that will not fit your modern tractor. Though the early frame is nearly the same minus the rear support for the footrest, there is a lot more stuff on your 520.  I have a 68 raider that I put newer the tachamatic points on to use the newer style so I have the older bracket you can have, however I think you will still have belt routing problems. As a suggestion,  I would look to update the tiller instead of retrofitting the tractor.  

I was going off the advice I received in a prior post for this tiller, which is that it should work with the older style axle bracket and a mid-mount pulley. I suppose I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work, look at other options. I have an older Kubota B6100D that I'd probably just buy a larger, more universal PTO driven tiller for if I can't get this one to work. Tillers for these Wheel Horses aren't cheap! I got this one for a steal so would like to make it work. 

• Like 1

JiminAda

Have you found a solution? I have the same problem.  I have the same tiller you have, that I use with a '79 C-161. The attachment bracket has bolts attached vertically on the rear axles.

The bracket barely fits on the 520H. However, the crossbar on the tiller and the rectangular bars that attach to the round crossbar hit the bottom of the transaxle case on trhe 520H, preventing me from fitting the crossbar ends up into the attachment bracket slots.

The bracket I use to attach a snow blade on the 520H has attachment points that are not spaced far-enough apart to fit the tiller round crossbar.