Elwood

312-8 Brake Return Spring

Elwood

Yesterday I was on my 312-8 and noticed my brake pedal was flopped back towards me. I assume that there is a return spring broken. Can some of you experienced guys tell me if the spring part number is a 107677 Brake Spring, and exactly where it is and where and how it should be connected? Some pictures would be great if you have them. I would like to order the part and fix it. Thanks for your time and help.

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

I understand the 300 and 400 series can have a hydraulic shock assist with a spring. I haven't tried to change one over myself but I understand you may be able to just put a 108035 spring like what would be on an older model. Others will be along to chime in.

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca

The corner of the right footrest may be bent up so the pedal no longer contacts it.

• Like 3

Elwood

OK. Just looked under the shifter cover. The 107667 brake spring is attached to the parking leaver. It pulls the brake lever back. Still unable to find where a spring attaches to pull the pedal to the forward position.

Eric there is no hydraulic assist on mine.

Foot rest is not bent.

So somewhere there is something the returns the brake pedal forward? 

• Like 1

cleat

Brake return spring hooks to the brake bellcrank about half way up on the left side and hooks to the bottom of the reinforcement plate as shown.

2039204955_Brakerockshaftpinandspringinstalled1.JPG.435be8537c455a5f2604cea1a521f607.JPG

Parking brake spring hooks from the parking brake latch to the top of the reinforcement plate as shown.

1344143541_Parkingbrakeinstalled.JPG.1279538bed96fe6c1e9e4b02140d01ec.JPG

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Elwood

Cleat. Thanks for the great pictures. Looks brand new. Mine has both of the springs attached in the proper locations. The one long skinny spring is for the parking brake lever. (pulls forward)

The small spring on the bottom actually pulls the brake pedal back and not to the forward return position.

Neither of the springs will pull the pedal back its forward resting position. So somewhere some how something has to pull the pedal back after the brakes are applied and the foot is off the pedal. 

cleat

As you can see, pushing the brake pedal causes the rod above the brake pedal to move forward.

1692399294_Brakefrontrodinstalled4.JPG.98b43054e834651661c0c8bfb6fd1498.JPG

The other end of that rod connects to the bottom of the brake bellcrank on the right hand side causing it to rotate forward at the bottom.

That in turn pulls on the brake rod on the left side causing it to tighten the brake band.

1533242863_Brakerearrodinstalled2.JPG.a5f64a989a9ff63ae7e2feebc49d0799.JPG

The spring on the bellcrank is above the pivot so it pulls in the opposite direction releasing the brake and moving the brake pedal back to it's released position.

129329332_Tunnelreinforcementplatesinstalled1.JPG.d1456bc5c6b9fe2cbcbb1637064a284d.JPG

Here is an exploded parts diagram showing how everything connects.

Tractor 1990 520-8 41-20O801 Brake.pdf

• Excellent 1

Racinbob

Those small springs under the console are for the parking brake operation and have nothing to do with pulling the pedal forward. With the brake pedal 'flopped' back something is messed up with the linkage. The 108035 (on the traditional setup) does all the work and the linkage simply puts the pedal back in position. That small spring in the picture is to release the parking brake. To set it you push the brake pedal and pull the parking brake lever back. That blocks the linkage so the brake remains engaged, To release it you simple push the brake pedal again which allows the little spring to pull the parking brake lever back to release it. I don't see a 108035 spring on the pictured tractor which leads me to believe that tractor has the hydraulic strut and the parts drawing isn't for that tractor. The damper shown on the diagram (p/n 53) in one of their attempts to ease the clutch engagement and usually just causes headaches. 

• Like 1

cleat
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

Those small springs under the console are for the parking brake operation and have nothing to do with pulling the pedal forward. With the brake pedal 'flopped' back something is messed up with the linkage. The 108035 (on the traditional setup) does all the work and the linkage simply puts the pedal back in position. That small spring in the picture is to release the parking brake. To set it you push the brake pedal and pull the parking brake lever back. That blocks the linkage so the brake remains engaged, To release it you simple push the brake pedal again which allows the little spring to pull the parking brake lever back to release it. I don't see a 108035 spring on the pictured tractor which leads me to believe that tractor has the hydraulic strut and the parts drawing isn't for that tractor. The damper shown on the diagram (p/n 53) in one of their attempts to ease the clutch engagement and usually just causes headaches. 

If you are talking about this spring, it is for the clutch and has nothing to do with the brake.

734115453_Clutchspringinstalled.JPG.185a33622b075e50989f924a5f2a4a93.JPG

• Excellent 1

Racinbob
49 minutes ago, cleat said:

If you are talking about this spring, it is for the clutch and has nothing to do with the brake.

Correct. I didn't word that very well. I'll blame it on the model the op has, pictures of a different tractor and a download for yet another tractor. :wacko:

default_blink.png

peter lena

@Elwood  have any  lubrication on the related , linkage / mount points ?  very typical to have a sloppy / rusty  connection  that also restricts , wat its saposed to do . BTW  your not related to the  BLUES BROTHERS are you ?  pete  ,