FreeBilly

312-8 Transmission Mount Holes Passive?

FreeBilly

Split my 312-8 to reinforce a cracked frame mounting plate and reinforce with angle iron. While it was split I tipped the transmission upside down to inspect the bottom and oil poured out of the threaded upper mounting holes? Are these supposed to be passive into the transmission or did someone use too long of a bolt at some point and crack the case? There were no leaks while the tractor was assembled and in use so I’m thinking either this is normal or not a big deal. Let me know what you think

ri702bill

Welcome!!

All Normal. Those holes do go thru - be careful if you chase them with a tap.....

Do you have a picture of the damaged "F" plate and the finished repair?? 

Hope it does NOT look like this 854 frame... Been plowing with this one?? Check the cast iron lower steering block for broken off mounting tabs - those 2 problems go hand-in-hand....

The second file is the way I do the repair AND the triangular braces to stop the frame flex for good.....

Damaged Frame.jpg

Long Frame Plate with Brace.JPG

• Excellent 2

FreeBilly
10 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Welcome!!

All Normal. Those holes do go thru - be careful if you chase them with a tap.....

Do you have a picture of the damaged "F" plate and the finished repair?? 

Hope it does NOT look like this 854 frame... Been plowing with this one?? Check the cast iron lower steering block for broken off mounting tabs - those 2 problems go hand-in-hand....

The second file is the way I do the repair AND the triangular braces to stop the frame flex for good.....

Damaged Frame.jpg

Long Frame Plate with Brace.JPG

Ouch, unfortunately mine was worse than this. It was cracked at around every hole and was starting to twist on the bottom. I wish I took some photos before. I managed to heat it and get it pretty flat. I drilled the ends of the cracks and welded them up. I think I need to do a repair similar to this one as I may of compromised the plate by welding it. My mounting plate on the frame is stamped steel and has two high ridges on the plate from the stamp. I may need to weld in some flat stock before adding that plate.

• Like 1

ri702bill
Posted (edited)

Some folks use 1/8" flatwashers - I weld two strips of flatstock to the back of the plate so you don't need to do the "Fishing Dance"!!! Been doing this type of fix for a while now - no issues. 

Best to strip the frame bare and gouge & weld BOTH sides at the cracks - ALL the welds need to be dressed flat do do the repair.

The absolute BEST repair is to then drill a series of holes in the frame plate and plug weld it to the plate from behind - a "forever" fix...

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

ri702bill
19 minutes ago, FreeBilly said:

My mounting plate on the frame is stamped steel and has two high ridges on the plate from the stamp. I may need to weld in some flat stock before adding that plate.

Yup - looks like this....

218728935_StockPlate.JPG.dd6394f1e227483d0af936abf07ef77e.JPG

Achto
Posted (edited)

:WRS: @FreeBilly

Broken F-plates happen, specially when using a dozer blade plow.

I'm in the process of building a pulling tractor and built this reinforcement to save my F-plate from the abuse.

IMG_20240121_145056456_HDR.jpg.069741204c5649b4824d7be8a642059b.jpgIMG_20240128_095550486.jpg.aa3be7570c19866a5d2eb31de67e3007.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 4

ri702bill
1 hour ago, FreeBilly said:

My mounting plate on the frame is stamped steel and has two high ridges on the plate from the stamp. I may need to weld in some flat stock before adding that plate.

Yup - looks like this....

218728935_StockPlate.JPG.dd6394f1e227483d0af936abf07ef77e.JPG

ri702bill

Looks like it grew there...

IMG_20240128_095550486.jpg.aa3be7570c19866a5d2eb31de67e3007.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, FreeBilly said:

reinforce a cracked frame mounting plate and reinforce

:text-welcomeconfetti:

If you're inclined to REPLACE the F plate I have a good one here. The other end of this frame is bad. 

You pay the freight costs I'd send the section.  

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

FreeBilly
19 hours ago, Achto said:

:WRS: @FreeBilly

Broken F-plates happen, specially when using a dozer blade plow.

Or in my case, when a 16 year old put an 8inch engine pulley on and used it as an ATV for a couple years. 

• Like 2

Lee1977

I grind a 1 1/2 x 1/4" steel bar to fit between the ridges then add 1 1/2" x 1/4" braces each side at the same angle as the belt guard, the holes are already there.

SAM-0903.jpg

SAM-0915-2.jpg

• Excellent 1