snowhound

1987416-8 won't turn off

snowhound

My 1987 416-8 model 31-16K803 doesn't turn off.  The ground to the ignition switch is provided by the switch grounding against the dashboard and when the switch is in the off mode the ground, mag, and accessories are all active, I've checked and all are active.  When running with the seat raised the seat light comes on but it keeps running and when I turn the switch to off the seat light go out and the amp meter goes to zero but the it keeps running.  Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Thanks

Snowhound

Achto
34 minutes ago, snowhound said:

Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Bad connection between the switch and the coil. Wire maybe came off at the coil.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Download this file. The ignition has it's own diagram

953 nut

There is a dark blue wire (or a black wire with a dark blue line on it) that goes to a plug heading to the engine. That plug has wires for the charging system and low oil switch. Check the condition of the dark blue wire going both ways from the plug, probably have a broken spot on it.

If you don't find a bad spot then you may want to test the "M" terminal on the switch by grounding it with a small jumper connected to ground.

• Excellent 2

953 nut

There is a blue wire that connects the magneto to the ignition switch and the PTO switch. If it is broken or not connected to the magneto it will not shut the engine off.

140633307_Screenshot(346).png.11848a3963fe43cc13e7323d55a3b507.png