Ed Kennell

First Mowing

Tuneup
Posted (edited)

Time to scalp the Bermuda grass here in West Jasper GA! A good 3/4 acre of it. Brought out the C125 just to cut it roughly before pushing the old 80s Snapper through it. The deck would slow and clog. It's the tension on the deck itself - old belt? Fine. Went to the 516 with its 48"and pumped the bulb to start it - gas everywhere. Bulb lasted one year - cracking. Blast that eBay. Can you say, "China?" It's a thing with me, not that just about everything you get other than OEM is just trash today. Went to the old '77 with its rarely used bulb and, same cracking. All tractors stored indoors. Routed a direct line to the 516 and ran around the yard on the first cut. The 48" is only 1 year from its full restoration. Added the trailer and pulled the recent tree scrap from the back. Finished that and 516 hunting a bit. Adjusted the idle on it according to @lynnmor procedure - much better. These Onans are so sensitive to their air filters and mixture adjustment. Will mow the back fescue today with it. C125 will get its throttle cable fixed - slips in the clamp at the lever. Onan 20 is on the bench for rings after the old Ranger gets its 4.56 gears. 520H in pieces in the garage. It's always something, but retirement approaches (company just needs to give me an excuse) and I'll at least have plenty to keep me busy.

IMG_0244.jpg

Edited by Tuneup
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

retirement approaches (company just needs to give me an excuse) and I'll at least have plenty to keep me busy.

Busy is good!!

Be thankful for the physical ability to accomplish your tasks and keep on truckin'!

37 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

pumped the bulb to start it - gas everywhere. Bulb lasted one year - cracking. Blast that

Same thing happened to us. 

My 75 C160 Automatic was completed LESS than a year and the primer bulb was leaking all over the barn floor. 

Fine. 

I stopped the leak, immediately threw out the other 2 or 3 bulbs I bad in the Parts Department and ordered a new BRAND NAME bulb. 

I found several references to "Attwood" so we'll try that. 

Blasterdad
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I found several references to "Attwood" so we'll try that. 

Attwood makes marine products, (which means it should be Coast Guard rated) so about as good as you're going to get.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-Marine-Boat-Fuel-Line-Kit-with-Universal-Sprayless-Fuel-Connector-6-Foot-x-3-8-Inch-Universal/19767378

• Like 1

pfrederi
54 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

Attwood makes marine products, (which means it should be Coast Guard rated) so about as good as you're going to get.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-Marine-Boat-Fuel-Line-Kit-with-Universal-Sprayless-Fuel-Connector-6-Foot-x-3-8-Inch-Universal/19767378

For that kind of money buy a Facet made in USA electric pump and solve the issue permanently and no worries about the pump membrane failing and adding gas to the crankcase......

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Blasterdad
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

For that kind of money buy a Facet made in USA electric pump and solve the issue permanently and no worries about the pump membrane failing and adding gas to the crankcase......

That's what I do to all my :wh:'s, instant starts+prefilter comes on the pump, they fire on the second crank. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

If you search the part number they can be found for a bit less.

Yep.  

I bought "bulb only" for about $20 ish shipped to my door.   

Anybody know if the USA made pumps can be had for less than $50 to $70 nowadays? 

I don't have a part number to search.  

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yep.  

I bought "bulb only" for about $20 ish shipped to my door.   

Anybody know if the USA made pumps can be had for less than $50 to $70 nowadays? 

I don't have a part number to search.  

I use the kit (has barb fittings included) 4.0-1.5 psi   Facet  60245

• Thanks 1