fourwheelhorseman

New Wheelhorse… need help identifying

fourwheelhorseman
Posted (edited)

This is supposed to be an 854, however, I doubt it is, some one painstakingly went through it and replaced every bolt and nut after they painted it. I beleive they put the wrong model decal on it. Anyhow, here is the serial number.. any idea? Push button starter switch in the middle of the gear pattern sticker… sticker looks to be original

image.jpg

Edited by fourwheelhorseman
I can’t spell.. 🙄

ri702bill

OK - need MORE pictures. Steering, battery box, front axle, wheels, AND a measurement of the hood from the gas tank to the joint at the grill - 854 is longer by 1" than 7HP models..... Also a side view of the air cleaner.

Momentary starter push button is NOT what an 854 had originally. Keyswitch - 2 or 3 positions????

953 nut

Pictures of the rest of the tractor would be better than a serial number tag you don't know for sure is the correct one frt that tractor.

fourwheelhorseman

Ok here’s a couple more..

image.jpg

image.jpg

fourwheelhorseman
13 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

OK - need MORE pictures. Steering, battery box, front axle, wheels, AND a measurement of the hood from the gas tank to the joint at the grill - 854 is longer by 1" than 7HP models..... Also a side view of the air cleaner.

Momentary starter push button is NOT what an 854 had originally. Keyswitch - 2 or 3 positions????

Hood to gas tank is 15-1/4 inches, it has a toggle instead of a key switch.. someone decided that was better I spose… the batter box has no bottom on it. The serial decal looks to be original as does the push button for the starter. Two piece gas tank as well.

gwest_ca

27137 looks like a 1963 serial number.

fourwheelhorseman
1 minute ago, gwest_ca said:

27137 looks like a 1963 serial number.

Thanks! I was thinking it was a 753.

gwest_ca

Maybe a model 633?

ri702bill

I'm leaning towards a 753. Definitely 1963 or later. Engine is not all red - service replacement?? The oil drainplug is in front, not on the back as usually found. 

The 15-1/4" dimension is not correct for an 854. The 854 measured 16-1/4 to clear the taller (thicker) air cleaner. Is there a tag or decal on the fltwheel housing??

fourwheelhorseman
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

I'm leaning towards a 753. Definitely 1963 or later. Engine is not all red - service replacement?? The oil drainplug is in front, not on the back as usually found. 

The 15-1/4" dimension is not correct for an 854. The 854 measured 16-1/4 to clear the taller (thicker) air cleaner. Is there a tag or decal on the fltwheel housing??

I havnt found any engine identification at all. Is there a way to identify visually between an 8 and 7 hp? 

squonk
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

I havnt found any engine identification at all. Is there a way to identify visually between an 8 and 7 hp? 

Measure bore and stroke. Blocks and tinwork are identical. 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

fourwheelhorseman
27 minutes ago, squonk said:

Measure bore and stroke. Blocks and tinwork are identical. 

Ok, I figured bore and stroke would tell me, but was curious as to if there was a tell tale without tearing it down. I’ll just have suppose for now that it’s a 7Hp. Thanks guys!

squonk
27 minutes ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

Ok, I figured bore and stroke would tell me, but was curious as to if there was a tell tale without tearing it down. I’ll just have suppose for now that it’s a 7Hp. Thanks guys!

Bores are the same but the stroke on a 7 is 2.5 " whilst the 8 is 2.75" 

fourwheelhorseman

Man that’s not much of a difference at all… are the valves the same? I imagine the carbs are interchangeable as well?

squonk
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

Man that’s not much of a difference at all… are the valves the same? I imagine the carbs are interchangeable as well?

Yes all the same. As long as you dealing with compression release engines. The exhaust tappets are different between the compression release engines and the older spark advance engines. I believe the only internal differences are the tappet and the cams themselves. Everything else interchanges

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

ri702bill

Internally on the carburetors, I believe there is a difference between the two. My 854 has a #20 carb, the 702 is a smaller bore and is a #16(??) The #20 flows more air.

That is a common gripe about the Off-shore units - one size fits most - better suited for a K91 or K161, not great for a K181 as the bore is small.....

squonk

161 uses a #20 and 181 uses a # 22. In most applications it won't matter. Only if you're pulling would you might see a difference.

fourwheelhorseman
21 minutes ago, squonk said:

161 uses a #20 and 181 uses a # 22. In most applications it won't matter. Only if you're pulling would you might see a difference.

I doubt I ever pull with it.. now to start gathering the parts I need, throttle c cable and choke cable, two way ignition switch, front tire, battery and that should do it. The throttle cables plastic that’s on it currently got melted by the exhaust, I’m not sure how to keep that from happening.  Does someone have a picture of what the routing should look like for the throttle cable? If not I’ll figure it out… thanks!

kary

Moparfanforever

This is how I did the exhaust on a 702 and 854.

No pics of the throttle cable, but they both run under the crank and up the front of the engine. 

20220305_081631.jpg.49e1de91259ee61ace1049eae1499b8a.jpg20220305_081613.jpg.25cad165a0088313a2972b916f9589d2.jpg

DeezEazy

That looks like a 753 all day. That’s mine in my photo. I took it completely apart and rebuilt it. On the front of your hood are the “wheel horse” letters “bubbled out” to the touch with white stickers on them? I can upload pictures of mine taken apart if it help you? Just let me know. 

fourwheelhorseman
9 minutes ago, DeezEazy said:

That looks like a 753 all day. That’s mine in my photo. I took it completely apart and rebuilt it. On the front of your hood are the “wheel horse” letters “bubbled out” to the touch with white stickers on them? I can upload pictures of mine taken apart if it help you? Just let me know. 

I’d like to see that!

fourwheelhorseman

The wheel horse letters are indeed raised, there are no stickers however, except for in the side of the hood and belt guard. 

IMG_2052.png

• Like 1

DeezEazy
6 minutes ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

The wheel horse letters are indeed raised, there are no stickers however, except for in the side of the hood and belt guard. 

IMG_2052.png

Yessir! That’s a 753. Now that I think about it I had to order the white “wheel horse” and 753 stickers when I finished painting mine. 👍🏾 

fourwheelhorseman

Hey did you swap your engine out? Also what did you use for spacers for your fuel wheels? I’ve got an extra set of ags and thought about duel wheels.