RED-Z06

36" Tiller time.

RED-Z06

Last used it in 2015, pulled it out the shed and power washed it, I know the tines are worn but thats some $$ there.  I cant find a number on the belt but I remember it was slightly too short, anyone know the correct length to go on a 400series so i can compare it?  Is there a go-to tension spring, the one i had was not right and if there's a right one id like to do that.  Im going to change the oil, im assuming 90wt or 80w90 will work?

20240323_191052.jpg

20240323_191101.jpg

20240323_191123.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RED-Z06

I think..141" on the belt, being a Twin?

Spring is supposed to be 3.5" long "light tension"?

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I can check my "tiller stuff container" later today.  

• Like 1

Moparfanforever

I use a 141" belt on my C160. 

Are you asking about the helper spring for the tiller?? Not sure of the length off hand, but Lowell sells them. 

• Like 1

peter lena

@RED-Z06  , also the opportunity to improve that , idler pulley , typically , lubrication starved , rough , have had very good results with lucas , climbing gear oil , would recommend a fuel oil / kerosene flush , drive around on that unit , put some time on it , also lubricate the , idler pulley mount frame , no rust , the easier the frame moves that better the idler pulley works . have regularly stepped up idler pulley /  function  and made things better , that power wash , is not good in bearing areas , rather have an oil related movement point than rust /  frozen point , pete

• Like 1

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

@RED-Z06  , also the opportunity to improve that , idler pulley , typically , lubrication starved , rough , have had very good results with lucas , climbing gear oil , would recommend a fuel oil / kerosene flush , drive around on that unit , put some time on it , also lubricate the , idler pulley mount frame , no rust , the easier the frame moves that better the idler pulley works . have regularly stepped up idler pulley /  function  and made things better , that power wash , is not good in bearing areas , rather have an oil related movement point than rust /  frozen point , pete

The idler on the tiller itself?  Its a sealed ball bearing unit, it was missing entirely when i got it.  I haven't messed with the mid mount mule yet, both pulleys spin free though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, Moparfanforever said:

I use a 141" belt on my C160. 

Are you asking about the helper spring for the tiller?? Not sure of the length off hand, but Lowell sells them. 

The tensioner spring for the belt.  The hydro lift doesn't need a helper i dont believe.

• Like 1

Moparfanforever
30 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

The tensioner spring for the belt.  The hydro lift doesn't need a helper i dont believe.

Sorry, I missed the hydro part. No helper spring needed. 

Lowell sells that spring also I believe. I have a bunch of random springs that I went thru and found one that works well. It is pretty stiff.

I can see about pics/measurements if needed . May take a few days, windy and chilly right now .

• Like 1

RED-Z06

Old belt measures 139 so the 141 should be just the ticket.  I ordered a couple springs to try.  Got gear oil coming, have to figure out how to change it, i see a plug on top and on bottom..but nothing that would be a conventional side plug to check level.  Ill pull the upper and see if its a dipstick.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

Old belt measures 139 so the 141 should be just the ticket.  I ordered a couple springs to try.  Got gear oil coming, have to figure out how to change it, i see a plug on top and on bottom..but nothing that would be a conventional side plug to check level.  Ill pull the upper and see if its a dipstick.

I don't have a manual to look at but keep in mind that might be a capacity fill by the ounce. Not a check to dipstick type fill.

• Like 1

lynnmor

It takes one quart of 90-140 gear oil.  Get the manual here to see where and how to check the oil level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sailman

Just a question here...I was planning to change gear oil in my 70's model Troy Bilt tiller at some point but it seems I found information that indicated that tiller has brass components and therefore there is a specific gear oil that needs to be used to protect the brass. Many modern gear oils do not do that. Anyone know if this applies to the wheel horse tiller?? I need to change gear oil in it too.

• Like 1

kpinnc
17 minutes ago, Sailman said:

Anyone know if this applies to the wheel horse tiller?? I need to change gear oil in it too.

On a Wheel Horse tiller, all the shafts run on needle bearings, and the tines are chain driven. No bronze bushings to worry about. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brockport Bill

the tiller belt number for model 07-36TL03  listed is 141" @ 1/2 " -- the manual lists gear oil at SAE 90-140 at 1 qt volume

• Like 1

RED-Z06

I got the filler plug off, looked inside; had something in there as far as lube..not great looking but not milky.  I put some 20w50 in to curculate for a bit, ill drain it well when the gear oil gets here, i ordered a 5gallon bucket, going to do the 312-8, C100, 702 and Tiller all at once.

I did get the Tiller mounted though

• Like 3

ebinmaine
35 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

going to do the 312-8, C100, 702 and Tiller all at once.

Gonna flush the transmissions? 

• Like 1

RED-Z06
57 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Gonna flush the transmissions? 

C100 Shouldn't have to, oil is clean but its due, 702 should also be clean. 312-8 is alot of water, ill flush it as best I can...the boot is new, but the shifter is so badly rusted and pitted on both shifters that even with sealer on them they leak.

• Like 2

rick
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sailman said:

Just a question here...I was planning to change gear oil in my 70's model Troy Bilt tiller at some point but it seems I found information that indicated that tiller has brass components and therefore there is a specific gear oil that needs to be used to protect the brass. Many modern gear oils do not do that. Anyone know if this applies to the wheel horse tiller?? I need to change gear oil in it too.

Troy Bilt specs called for a GL4 gear oil, anywhere from 80W-90 to 85W-140.  I bought a 5 gallon bucket of Schaeffer GL4 85W-140 from my local NAPA store.  Troy Bilt tillers have a bronze drive gear for the tiller shaft, and the wheel shaft runs in bronze bushings.

Edited by rick
Added info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RED-Z06

141" belt on, spring on, massaged the rear idler into perfect alignment...gear oil drained and changed.  I tilled for a good 45 minutes with no drama at all.  The only drama came from my 5gallon bucket of 85w140 gear oil and the manual bucket pump...it had no hose clamp on the hose, and there wasn't one provided..so about the 3rd pump, i painted the shed wall with gear oil.  Tomorrow hopefully C100 gear oil swap, and 702 gear oil swap.  Saving the 312 for last because its going to make a mess.

20240328_181305.jpg

20240328_181317.jpg

20240328_181341.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

cod
21 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

141" belt on, spring on, massaged the rear idler into perfect alignment...gear oil drained and changed.  I tilled for a good 45 minutes with no drama at all.  The only drama came from my 5gallon bucket of 85w140 gear oil and the manual bucket pump...it had no hose clamp on the hose, and there wasn't one provided..so about the 3rd pump, i painted the shed wall with gear oil.  Tomorrow hopefully C100 gear oil swap, and 702 gear oil swap.  Saving the 312 for last because its going to make a mess.

20240328_181305.jpg

20240328_181317.jpg

20240328_181341.jpg

Looks great and I'm sure you'll get plenty of use from it.

Maybe you should use this rig to "mow" the back yard that eats your mower decks. At least the tines will hold up longer... ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

kpinnc
On 3/28/2024 at 7:38 PM, RED-Z06 said:

so about the 3rd pump, i painted the shed wall with gear oil. 

:lol: Yeah, I've never done that....

• Haha 4

Moparfanforever

Doesn't that gear oil smell wonderful, especially on the wall and floor!!

And cleaning it is sooo easy. 

• Haha 1

squonk

I had a pair of coveralls in HS that got gear oil on them. I still had them at 30 and there was still a whiff of it. finally burned them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I had a pair of coveralls in HS that got gear oil on them. I still had them at 30 and there was still a whiff of it. finally burned them.

Its awful stuff