fourwheelhorseman

Looking at this 854.. thoughts? With photos…

fourwheelhorseman

I know the steering wheel isn’t correct or could possibly be a model change over thing? But is there any other things you guys see besides the missing guards, that would confirm that this is an 854? 

IMG_2053.png

IMG_2052.png

IMG_2051.png

• Excellent 2

Sparky

That double pulley setup on the engine and starter/gen was unique to the 1961 model 701. 
  But it’s not a 701 going by the slotted grill, newer style footrests and the type of tie-rods. 
  Plenty of guys here that are better at identifying these older models than me…hopefully they chime in soon. 

• Like 2

ri702bill

Plus - later than 1962 frame and front axle.

Check the length of the hood in the middle from the notch at the gas tank forward to the joint where the grill meets the hood body. OFF THE TOP of my head - 854 IS 1" longer than other round hoods - that dim would be 16-1/4, not 15-1/4"

fourwheelhorseman

Great.. it’s a mutt! Lol so I’m gong. To be in search of a SG belt guard.. would a standard 854 guard fit this set up?

• Haha 1

ri702bill

NO - as mentioned, the 701 is a one-year-wonder. the ONLY model to use double pulleys - a regular S/G guard will not fit.....

fourwheelhorseman
Posted (edited)

So another question, what steering wheel would that be from ? The fella I’m getting this from had it “ restored” several years ago.. I’m guessing they had no idea what they were doing and simply threw parts at it, I’ll know more when I get it home I spose.

Edited by fourwheelhorseman
  • Like 1

ri702bill

That is neither an 854 2-spoke wheel, nor a 701 3-exposed spoke wheel. Looks to be from a 1962 or 1963 tractor. (502, 552, 702, or 753.....

ri702bill
13 minutes ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

So another question, what steering wheel would that be from ? The fella I’m getting this from had it “ restored” several years ago.. I’m guessing they had no idea what they were doing and simply threw parts at it, I’ll know more when I get it home I spose.

Yup, another "Frankenmutt". MOST parts do interchange readily from 1961 to 1964.

fourwheelhorseman

I was thinking it could be a 753 rather than an 854. My main concern is that belt guard for the S/G… will that be terribly hard to find? Or would it be easier to find single pulley for the crank and generator?

• Like 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

I was thinking it could be a 753 rather than an 854. My main concern is that belt guard for the S/G… will that be terribly hard to find? Or would it be easier to find single pulley for the crank and generator?

Yes, a guard and single pulley would be your best bet.  That’s for any s/g K-141, 161 or 181.  Not an 854 part.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

ri702bill

Agreed. The 701 is one year, one model only - there are no known reproductions.. Depends on the engine - the 7 HP 701 had NO ACR, that's why the 2 belts. 1962 and later did have the Automatic Compression Release ( that gives it that wonderful "putt-putt" sound at low idle.....) Got a later engine?? Go with the single belt setup.

fourwheelhorseman
Posted (edited)

Well i got it home, the length from the hood seam to gas tank is 15-1/4inches. I’m not sure what hp engine it has on it as the tag is gone. For now I’ll refer to it as a 753,  The fuel pump wasn’t being used the last time it ran, the previous owner was just using gravity to feed the carb. Both cables are junk, and it has a push button starter in the middle of the gear shift decal. However, It appears that all the bolts have been replaced, according to the owner it had been “ restored” 7 years ago… his idea of restored and mine are two different ideas it would seem.. lol. The tractor has good bones and is a start, it needs new front tires and a few other small things.. but it’s not a rusty pile of junk for sure! 

Edited by fourwheelhorseman
  • Like 1