DEMO812

Start of an addiction?

DEMO812

Hello everyone! And thanks for the wealth of knowledge here! I hope it continues for years to come, as I am just about to purchase my first horse.  I had planned to buy a B 80 that I came across on Craigslist, since I am not on fb ( where everyone seems to sell everything now...) so I had plans to pick up the B80 8 h.p Koehler this weekend after doing lots of research which always led me here, so I finally decided to join... I was told though, if I wanted to do much tilling to try n find at least a 12 horse so I browsed marker place on the wife's account and came across a beautiful C160 16 h.p Koehler for about the same money... so I changed my plans and made a deal to pick it up this weekend.... I don't know a lot of ppl with knowledge or history of wheel horses, so any opinions would be cool to have.... lmk if I am making the right choice... and I will update when I officially become a newbie Sunday! Looking forward to it.... I just plan to mow some... plow a garden eventually.. when I get the attachments.. but for now, I will enjoy pulling the kids around in a wagon.... just maintain a "mini farm"... 5 acres... thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.. I know you like pics and im not sure if these sellers are already on here so I apologize for posting your horse if you are....the first pic is the 8 h.p. B 80 and second is the C160 

Screenshot_20240317_113903_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240319_231752_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

Pullstart
Posted (edited)

:text-welcomeconfetti:  You might find a gear drive is best for farm chores, plowing, etc.  It’s not easy to rototill with only 8 hp, but the low range would be a benefit.

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 3

87 416-8 horse

:text-welcomewave:to :rs:

• Like 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, DEMO812 said:

I am just about to purchase my first horse.

:WRS:

The C-160 is a very desirable :wh: and a great first tractor. Both of the pictures look like great, let us know if we can help with any specific information.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

• Like 1

Horsin'round

The C-160 was my first,  and still my favorite.  Been hauling that tractor around for 25 years now. Welcome and good luck!

• Like 1

ri702bill

And I see Mr. McMullet, wearing his Safety-approved Flippity-Flops in the video.....:laughing-rolling:

videoframe_851016.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

DEMO812

Thank you everyone!

rjg854

:WRS:  you've found the right place for questions, and solutions.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS:

13 hours ago, DEMO812 said:

since I am not on fb

Endeavor to keep it that way. Best and friendliest  advice is right here. 

Yes beware of dinguses sporting mohawks and tilling in flip flops tho... :auto-ambulance: :ychain::lol:

A C-160 in hydro or gear jammer is a bucket list tractor around here. You can till with a hydro once you get the feel for it. 

B-80 great for chore work. We are all amazed what a eight can do! I field plow with mine. 

In other words get both! 

20230203_162523.jpg

20231019_132022.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

• Like 1

DEMO812

WHX?? Hopefully I will be able to get both... someday.. I think for this go around I will stick with the C 160... although I can definitely see the benefit of the gear drive.. seems like a great reason to need another tractor.. I'll keep that under my hat for a couple months at least.... :clap: haven't even picked up my first one yet and already need another.. I like it 👌 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

moe1965

My suggestion is to start building a addition on any of you buildings or put up another one.   I thought I could stop at just one or two.  I'm up to 7 currently 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DEMO812

Well... its official.. I bought my first wheel horse.. I went a day early and got home with it last night.. 5 hour round trip.. took it straight to my parents to mow their yard I was eager to try it out.. it seems to cut very well and I was impressed with the power it has... although it does cut lower than i am used to... I now know that's pretty typical for these tractors... I took it a trip around my yard when I got home after dark... (lights don't work yet...) but when I got back up to the house I realized the deck was dragging.. so I already have my first repair.. although it should be an easy one... the manual deck adjustment broke.. it is a newer 42 inch deck I believe around 1995... and the guy said that he only used it to mulch leaves, and never used the hyd. Lift only the manual... so I'm not sure it was even hooked up right.. the hydraulic lift never seemed to raise or lower the deck.. sorry for the long post but just wanted to update... I will post pics if anyone has any input I'll take it.. 

20240324_153357.jpg

20240324_153418.jpg

20240324_153726.jpg

• Excellent 3

DEMO812

The lift cylinder leaks are they able to be rebuilt?

DEMO812

20240324_153514.jpg

DEMO812

What holds this arm up when the deck isn't attached?

20240324_153549.jpg

20240324_153537.jpg

DEMO812

What's the deal with this panel were they just the same on gear drive and hydro units? Or has it been retro fitted.. the parking brake lever does nothing and .. the other lever isn't even there..... sorry for all the questions just want to get to know my tractor better .. lol .. and I will be able to pass info on someday.... thanks from a newbie

20240324_153433.jpg

DEMO812

20240324_153916.jpg

20240324_153911.jpg

DEMO812

20240324_153654.jpg

20240324_153646.jpg

20240324_153636.jpg

DEMO812

20240324_153613.jpg

Blasterdad
2 hours ago, DEMO812 said:

What holds this arm up when the deck isn't attached?

20240324_153549.jpg

20240324_153537.jpg

This is the trunnion and chain you will need for the lift arm, the trunnion goes in the rear hole on the rock shaft & the chain hooks into the rear hole on the lift arm.

IMG_1238.JPG.1a21307f3b0ce2c0980232112ed7138f.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Maxwell-8
Posted (edited)

The parking brake lever works like this: first press the brakepedal, then pull the brake lever and then let go of the brake pedal.

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Thanks 1

Blasterdad

What's the deal with this panel were they just the same on gear drive and hydro units? Or has it been retro fitted.. the parking brake lever does nothing and .. the other lever isn't even there..... sorry for all the questions just want to get to know my tractor better .. lol .. and I will be able to pass info on someday.... thanks from a newbie

20240324_153433.jpg

The "parking brake" lever engages/disengages the hydro unit, lifting it up disengages the belt to the pump, DO NOT lift up lever when the tractor is in motion, it WILL damage the transmission.

There's not a missing lever, there should be a little metal tab under the forward reverse neutral slot that moves back & forth, just an indicator of of the motion control lever :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1