ebinmaine

Tire chain actual size chart?

ebinmaine

Can anybody point me towards a chart or maybe take measurements from a set of chains that should fit a 23 x 10.5 x 12 or slightly larger tire?

• Excellent 1

ri702bill

Not really - not all chain links of one "common" size are all the same from one Manufacturer to another. Particuly the 1/0 twist link used on the cross links. And the linking hooks vary.in style and length..... The same set of chains  will also "fit" various diameter and width tires. I have always had to either lengthen or shorten new chains.

Did you use the ice chain cross links yet???

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Did you use the ice chain cross links yet

I'm hoping to do just that but I may have to just use those to build a whole new set so I can keep the length even.

20240318_165759.jpg

• Like 3

JCM

When I bought my 89  312-8 new 1 year later decided on a 48''plow, weights and chains. Those chains have been the only ones that have ever fit correctly without the aid of chain tensioners or bungees on all of my other WH tractors. Good topic.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, JCM said:

When I bought my 89  312-8 new 1 year later decided on a 48''plow, weights and chains. Those chains have been the only ones that have ever fit correctly without the aid of chain tensioners or bungees on all of my other WH tractors. Good topic.

I've definitely noticed that chains seem to have a personality of their own.

They also sometimes cause my personality to create new words.

:lol:

I have a set here that I'm fairly sure used to fit my AG tires that are wider than the Turfs I want to install them on but they are very short in circumference.

What I would really like is to find a way to note what these should fit and hang them back up on the wall but with a tag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ri702bill

Another factor to consider is tread wear on the tires. New tires will require a slightly longer side chain length than well worn tires to get the chains to "sit" correctly. And if you add cross links to make a 4 link set into a 2 link set - the side chains will be too short....

I have yet to encounter a set that did not require length adjustments to give that desired "Honeymoon Fit" ....!!

P1010177.JPG.6290b31e77feb48fe9d3c89a780606d7.JPG

• Like 2

Racinbob
Posted (edited)

I don't think a chart exists for that Eric. There are so many variances in tire size even within the same brand. Carlisle Turf Savers vary from Carlisle Turf Tracs. That is probably why the chains are oversize when new. A couple sets even came with 'free' tensioners but those are sitting on the shelf unused. All the chains I have, steel of rubber, are fit specifically to one tire. The first time I install them I fiddle around getting them tight and worked into the tread and ultimately remove excess links. In the spring when I remove them they get tagged to that particular tire, even right/left. Then they get hung on a wall with no twists in them. In the fall it's a snap getting them back on. I have never needed to use any sort of tensioner. 

That being said if someone with that size could give you the measurements you'd be off to a good start. Just go a bit bigger and then fit to the tire. Start with the number of cross links you want. It would only be time consuming the first time. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

JCM
35 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What I would really like is to find a way to note what these should fit and hang them back up on the wall but with a tag.

I have HD hooks in the shop where I hang all my chains labeled for each tractor. Still doesn't mean they all fit right   :confusion-confused:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, JCM said:

I have HD hooks in the shop where I hang all my chains labeled for each tractor. Still doesn't mean they all fit right   :confusion-confused:

Yeah.....

Me too.  

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

time consuming the first time

Advantage there is these will be permanently mounted on Trina's 867 Pigpen. She leaves chains on all year.

• Like 4

ri702bill

I, for one do not have to deal with that. Dedicated fluid filled rear tires that the chains stay on. Put them on in the fall, switch to summer tires in the spring.....

• Like 3

ri702bill
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

That being said if someone with that size could give you the measurements you'd be off to a good start.

My picture above has the 23-8.50-12 rears on the left. You can count the sidelinks and the number of cross links...

Edited by ri702bill
  • Thanks 1

Brockport Bill

seems like with other life tasks there are those that just aren't worth the frustration and aggrivation - Doing chains since starting plowing with my 312 in 1989 has been hassle --  thus, rather than fighting certain battles I look for more alternatives - so this past fall upon wrestling with snow chains I have made the choice to leave the chains on a set of tires and simply deal with the relative ease of lugs -- so next fall a jack along with my Makita one set of wheels will be removed from the tractor and the other set of tires with chains to be swapped on -- Yippee, less stress and fewer bad words -- and oh yeah -- easier on my back

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Retired Wrencher
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

:lol:

I have a set here that I'm fairly sure used to fit my AG tires that are wider than the Turfs I want to install them on but they are very short in circumference.

No Not you Eric! Mr nice guy!

• Haha 2

johnnymag3
Posted (edited)

removed from the tractor and the other set of tires with chains to be swapped on

Bill ......        

Hopefully you have also went to studs to make transition effortless !!!

Edited by johnnymag3
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Brockport Bill
3 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

removed from the tractor and the other set of tires with chains to be swapped on

Bill ......        

Hopefully you have also went to studs to make transition effortless !!!

for years i used weights and chains - however, some winters i have used only the turf tires with no weights or chains -- my WH  tractors usually do fine -- Actually the downside of the chains are the scars the chains leave on the blacktop asphalt driveway - being patient and using angles and plowing smart the turf tires can usually get the job done ok for me - - but obviously depending on peoples geography and snow conditions, or their driveway circumstance will dictate what is best solution for their situation

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

studs to make transition effortless

Absolutely one of the best modifications somebody can make to their tractor if they ever even THINK they may remove a rear wheel again.

Every tractor we touch gets a set of rear wheel studs and proper lug nuts. 

squonk

Leave the chains on my fluid filled C160 winter tires. Then use a Horror Fright car dolly to roll the wheel into the studs. Still a saddle burr enhancer and when you don't get any snow you start to wonder why bother

Usually scrape things down with the 857 without chains but the one snow we got was like cement and I ended up having to fit a set of knarly chains I've had hanging in the shed 

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

saddle burr enhancer

:ROTF:

Lee1977

A chain chart can't be done because there isn't a an actucal tire size.  To get the same size tires on the back of your horse you have to buy them together, next week they may be smaller or narrower.

• Like 1