Sign in to follow this  
nick909

416-H

nick909

I have a 1995 416-H, when I mow the lawn grass always collects on the engine fan cooling screen. I stop cutting and remove the grass from the screen, to prevent the engine from getting hot and causing a problem with the valve seats. So how can I stop the grass from collecting on the engine cooling screen?

Jim_M

Quit mowing your grass.

Seriously though I don't think there's a way to prevent it. Mine does the same thing and it's never caused a problem. The P216 engine doesn't seem to have the same problem with valve seats as the P220 does.

Just keep an eye on it and make sure the fan doesn't get totally plugged and you'll be fine, a little bit of grass on the fan doesn't seem to block the airflow enough to impede cooling.

nylyon

I am curious, do you have a side discharge deck or rear. Reason I ask, I usually use my rear discharge deck sometimes with the recycler kit installed and there is very little grass on the engine, sometimes there's enough to remove but I can usually mow with little to no accumilation. I hooked up my 42" SD deck and holy cow, it took only a couple of minutes for the screen to get completely covered. Needless to say, I use the 416 with the RD deck and the 414 with the SD deck (and the Kohler screen gets loaded with clippings too, but not as bad as the Onan with the SD)

nick909

I have a 42 inch side discharge mower deck. I set the deck height so the blades are 3inches off the ground. When I mow there is a lot of cut grass flying around the mower housing and it seems some is coming out from the front of the housing. The cooling fan must draw a lot of air because the swirling cut grass just gets pulled to the fan screen. I have a 312-H that I have used with this same deck to cut grass and the Kohler cooling fan dosen't collect any grass on the screen.

perry

i was driving down the road one day and saw a lady mowinh her grass with a simuliar wheel horse as your 416. it looked as if she picked up a huge handfull of leaves and glued them on the cooling fan. not good. that'll kill the engine in due time.

i met a older fella that mowed 7 acres with his wheel horse and he had the same promblem. he built a tunnel ram on the side of the tractor out of sheet metal. it completely coved the cooling fan and ran up a few inches above the hood with a screened top. it looked good and seem to push alot of air threw the engine. is was like a snorkle for his engine. no more grass and leaves clogging up the fan.

wish i had taken a pic. the darn air scoop looked factory when i first saw it.

Sparky

I ended up selling my 48SD and getting a 42RD which took care of the problem on my 416.

Mike..........