giant_g2

I just got a B-80. I was hoping to hear tips on any maintenance I should do to it. I plan on changing the oil. The air filter and spark plug are like new.

I would like to change the grease in the transmission, but haven't found any details on what it takes or how to get to it. I haven't seen any drain or fill plugs.

I would also like to grease the wheel and pulley bearings. If there are any tips on how to easily do that, or what type of grease to use (Mobil 1?, marine grade since it will see some snowblower use?, polyeurea?). 

I also seem to be missing the front bracket and pulley for the mid deck mower. Does anyone have information on where I could find one, or dimensions to fab one? Pic

Screenshot_20240317_140557_Chrome.jpg

rmaynard

First, I would change the engine oil. 30 weight is the best all-round oil. Drain the oil from the transmission. There is a plug in the bottom in front of and just to the left of the hitch. It's a plug that is flush with the bottom and is removed with a 1/4" Allen wrench. Be sure to clean all the crap out of the plug to get the Allen all the way in. Lift the front of the tractor about 12 to 14" to get all the old oil over the hump in the middle of the transmission. If the oil is mixed with water, flush the transmission with diesel fuel by putting in 2 qts and run it around for about 10 minutes. Drain and fill with 80/90w GL5 gear oil. 2 qts for 8-speeds, 1-1/2 for 4-speeds.

That should get your fluids resolved, then you can work on others things as needed.

Ed Kennell
Posted (edited)

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:  The front pulley bracket that you refer to is called the "MULE DRIVE".     They are common for all WH tractors with the front attach-o-matic system.      They can be found at yard sales, flea markets and on CL and FBMP.    One of our vendors (A to Z Tractors) could also supply a mule drive.   He is actually located about a 30 minute drive from Pottstown.

Intro (a-ztractor.com)

Edited by Ed Kennell

giant_g2

Thank you both for the info. I'm sure I'll have much better luck finding s mule drive now that I know the correct term. There's a guy selling parts on Facebook not too far from me, so I'm sure he'll have one.

I'll have to get under the tractor to look for the transmission drain plug. I do believe I found the fill plug. I'll get some 90w for it. Hopefully there's no water in it - it appears to be very well kept. But thats a great tip about getting the water out.

The engine was actually replaced with a Vanguard 10HP. I will be changing the oil on it, but they recommend 15W-50 or something like that  above 40F. I will probably run that weight in the summer and the recommended 10W-30 in the winter. 

giant_g2

Sorry, one other question. It seems the diff is part of the trans. Should the gear oil contain limited slip modifier or no modifier?

rjg854

90 WT gear oil is fine, there's no reason to add anything to it.

giant_g2

I'll have to check the store. I know when I tried to get 75W-90 for my truck they all had slip modifier included. I had to order some without it since the G80 is supposed to work better. Maybe the straight 90W will be easier to find without it.

giant_g2

It did have some water in the oil, but not terrible. I ran it with some diesel and drained that. Both times I jacked the front up about 12 inches. Seems like it's only taking about a quart though. I guess there's still a half quart of sludge or something stuck in there. 

rmaynard

Are you draining from the bottom?

504276040_Screenshot_20240327-183819-3742.png.e94f9f7a43f06b63104b11a322dc6d48.png

gwest_ca

The boot on the shifter (item 78 above) will crack and allow water into the transmission so good to check it's condition. Water will follow the shifter directly into the case. If you remove the shifter that is the best place to add oil.

giant_g2

I was draining from 65 and filling from 66. The boot looks like it's in good condition. There wasn't a ton of water in it (all suspended, nothing separated) but enough to make it look like chocolate milk. I think I'll run it around the yard again and check the level. If the level is good, then I'll give it a mow and change after that mow. If it's looking decent after that, I think it'll be fine.

rmaynard

Draining from 65 is correct, filling at 66 is wrong. You will be at least ten ounces short. Fill at dip stick hole or shifter hole. 8-speed will take 2 quarts.

giant_g2

That's odd. Why would they put a fill plug on it and how can you check the level without draining? I don't see a dipstick on my trans or in the diagram above. I don't knownif I'm missing 71 and 72 - it looks like my plug screws right into the body.

This is a 4 speed, so it should be 1.5 qt. I was able to add 1 qt through 66. I guess I can add another half a qt through the shifter, but that seems odd that I can't fill through the fill plug up to the full amount. 

20240328_084410.jpg

rmaynard

I forgot that you mentioned that it was a 4-speed. All mine were 8-speed. Earlier models had 71 & 72. I've not seen them on 1974, 75, 76, or 77 models.

• Like 1

giant_g2

Oh, ok. Thanks!

giant_g2

Thanks for all the help! I thought the least I could do is post a picture of it for you guys. 

20240331_095437.jpg

giant_g2

Oh, one other thing that I discovered is for the bearing that I couldn't pop off the cover, I was able to lube them with a syringe. For example, the idler pulleys on the snow blower.

I used a 14ga 10cc syringe filled with some polyurea grease. I tried to slip it down between the housing and the rubber so I wouldn't poke a hole in the rubber. The seals were already pretty sloppy, so in this case I soaked them in kerosene first to clean them out. It seems to have turned out pretty good.