Brockport Bill

Brain Freeze or Not ? Rear baggers??

Brockport Bill

this may be one of the silliest questions asked here - Anyone ever replaced their mower bagger system bags? It's not, what I've done with my WH today, but what I have NOT done because I can't solve a seemingly simple challenge???? I have a 37" SD deck that has a rear bagger system I have used since 1989 -- the bags are worn but usable -- However, I came across a new set of bags that as best I can tell is a compatible match -- However, I can not determine how to slide the existing bags off the steel rim frame brackets at the top of the bags?? I asked my wife who has better dimensional and spatial brain skills than I do to look at the bagger frames -- so i asked, " how do i slip these bags off" - - her answer was "cut them off" -- sure, simple solution -- but how would I slide/thread the new bags onto the bagger frames? Duh!!!! -- Could WH really have sewn the top of the bags onto the frame brackets? NAH !!! Then how would they be selling new bags if they can't be replaced onto the brackets??? Is it my aging brain -- or is there a solution I am just not seeing? Any ideas?????????????? thanks.

8ntruck
Posted (edited)

I'd guess that there is a small gap somewhere in the metal bag at frame that would allow the bag to be slipped on/off. 

I'd also guess that the metal frame might need to be bent a little bit to make that gap big enough to get the bag off/on.  If this is the case, my choice of direction to bend the frame would be vertically away from the opens of the bag - kind of like a one thread screw.  'Unscrew' the old bag, 'screw' the new bag on, bend the frame back to close it.

Disclaimer - I do not own one of these baggers, I have never worked on one, nor have I ever seen an exploded parts diagram.  I spent my 40 year career in product design and manufacturing in the automotive industry.  If I were to design a bagger system, the above would be where I'd start.

Oh, good luck and have fun with your project.

Edited by 8ntruck

Rick3478
1 hour ago, Brockport Bill said:

" how do i slip these bags off" - - her answer was "cut them off" -- sure, simple solution -- but how would I slide/thread the new bags onto the bagger frames? Duh!!!! -- Could WH really have sewn the top of the bags onto the frame brackets? NAH !!! Then how would they be selling new bags if they can't be replaced onto the brackets??? Is it my aging brain -- or is there a solution I am just not seeing? Any ideas?????????????? thanks.

If it's like mine, the part of the bag hoop that hangs on the tractor is also a clamp that holds the ends of the steel hoop rod together.  Remove two bolts and separate the clamping clamshell, and now the bag slips off and on the open hoop gap like a curtain on a rod.  Do them one at a time if it helps you to see how it goes back together.

Brockport Bill
5 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

that parts tree diagram image in the link you provided is the model tractor and bagger i have ---- the 312-8 - with that bags and hardware frame -- the problem is the two "tongues" pointing down on the front of the steel frame do not fit or slide through the cloth slots that go around in the top of the cloth bagger!!  As was mentioned earlier in the thread it should function to slide off as a shower curtain to slide the bags around and off the frame - - however, frame hardware at top of bagger does not fit through? See the photo with the length of the "tongues" with the smaller size of the slot openings? And the new bags I have are dimensionally the same slot size as old bags??? Too small for the tongues to go through --- Weird!! 

wh 312  bagger frame.jpg

Rick3478
41 minutes ago, Brockport Bill said:

that parts tree diagram image in the link you provided is the model tractor and bagger i have ---- the 312-8 - with that bags and hardware frame -- the problem is the two "tongues" pointing down on the front of the steel frame do not fit or slide through the cloth slots that go around in the top of the cloth bagger!!  As was mentioned earlier in the thread it should function to slide off as a shower curtain to slide the bags around and off the frame - - however, frame hardware at top of bagger does not fit through? See the photo with the length of the "tongues" with the smaller size of the slot openings? And the new bags I have are dimensionally the same slot size as old bags??? Too small for the tongues to go through --- Weird!! 

wh 312  bagger frame.jpg

They don't go through sideways.  Turn the corner.

John c

you need a die grinder, a mig welder, a few inches of flat stock steel.....and a garden hose

the flat stock to reinforce the butt joint where you weld the frame back together, wet the nylon bag good before you start and once you're done

Rick3478
1 hour ago, John c said:

you need a die grinder, a mig welder, a few inches of flat stock steel.....and a garden hose

the flat stock to reinforce the butt joint where you weld the frame back together, wet the nylon bag good before you start and once you're done

Or you could heat the rod up to bright orange and straighten it, then re-heat and bend it back once the new bag is on. :ychain: