clueless

1960 Suburban trans oil

clueless

What fluid does my 1960 burb use and how much and do I fill it through one of the seat spring holes?  I had it written down some where but I can't find it :dunno:.

Racinbob

1.5 qts. 80w90 gear oil or a weight thereabouts. 3 and 4 speeds all use 1.5 qts while 6 and 8 speeds call for 2 qts. :)

• Like 4

Pullstart

Best to pop the shifter out and fill through there :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 5

peter lena

@clueless  personally like a ATF FLUID  , refill and some road driving / shifting , for a trans clean up / out . use every gear , range , also lubricate related CLUTCH LINKAGE , for easier movement . use a razor blade to cut off old boot , like to lightly grease the INSIDE of new shift boot , at trans contact area , improves slide , and add a TYE  WRAP , ABOVE  THE BOOT ,  on the metal rod . so it can / will move with ease , reduce cracking / tearing . after some miles on that atf flush , drop that , and refill  89-90, like lucas CLIMBING  GEAR OIL , it works better , pete   

• Like 2

Achto
Posted (edited)

80 90wt oil. Filling through the shift hole works the best. Right below the axle on the right hand side is a pipe plug. Remove this plug and fill the oil until it starts to run out of the hole. Put the plug back & carry on. :thumbs2:

You can see the hole in this pic.

568b35c8ebf67_horsetranny.jpg.009594b530c987416e5ba1637a6b3493.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1