fourwheelhorseman

Chinese junk parts!

fourwheelhorseman

I’ve been redoing a 1974 wheel horse  C160 all winter.  Anyhow, I put new belts on it, fuel petcock, wheel bearings, rewired it, rebuilt carb and new fuel line ect… you get the picture… anyhow, I blew a little snow with it, not enough to really prove its reliability. Today I decided to roll the yard with it and mow at the same time. Well the first thing I noticed is my “ new “ wheel bearings on the right hand wheel are junk, I got them from Amazon, then the fuel petcock wasn’t allowing fuel into the see through fuel filter, I ran out of fuel once and kept a watchful eye on it the rest of the rolling/ mowing time.  noticed when I installed the petcock it was really tight to turn the fuel on and off. I got that from Amazon as well. No more Amazon for me.. I had some good used wheel bearings that I kept and installed those, the petcock was replaced do to leakage, so I havnt tackled that issue yet. Anyhow, I got through rolling and mowing my two acres with the mower running out of fuel one time and two crappy wheelbearings later. That was my day.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Blasterdad

I "rebuild" my petcocks, take them apart, clean them, replace the O rings with ones from the hardware store, costs less than a dollar. 

I buy the tank bushings usually 4 at a time on fleabay to have them on hand, around 5-10 bucks. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

fourwheelhorseman
4 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

You definitely get what you pay for.  Did you by chance check how much grease was in the bearings to begin with?

Very true you get what you pay for, I did check the bearings for grease and they had quite a bit in them. However, the bearings were a little loose going in the hub, realizing that shouldn’t make a difference in the life of the bearings I  trudged on. The petcock came with the rubber tank bushing, so I never gave it a thought and installed both together. 

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
9 hours ago, Pullstart said:

You definitely get what you pay for.  Did you by chance check how much grease was in the bearings to begin with?

Can’t believe they would sell them that way. I go to a bearing company in my area. Been around for 50 to 75 years.

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@fourwheelhorseman  been doing , bearing RE GREASING FOR YEARS , personally like the lucas green X TRA HEAVY DUTY , been bombproof for me , BTW  always buy a bearing with wide side shields for easy removal . another thing on those wheels , have always added wide flat washers to firm up side wheel , SHUCKING , horizontal back / forth play , thats what tears things up , regularly look at a problem area , for functional operation . thats where you find the failure  / cure , also have center bushed up a larger bearing , in an existing hole , like a 5/8 o/d  to a 3/8 i/d , and a re grease , on failure pulleys . great spot for  the fix , pete

Brockport Bill

I often buy my WH parts from long time local small business engine shop owner in business for many yrs as a prior WH Dealer -- its usually higher cost but if not much higher i give them my $$ - I like supporting local workers who are our "neighbors" and small business owners who donate to youth sports leagues, local library etc ( versus Amazon billionaires ) --- I also buy frequently from the Toro parts site to get OEM parts -- but also very frequently rely on the vendors here on Red Square - ( Wheel HorsePartsandMore -- or K&B or A-Z)  etc

• Like 1

D_Mac

I have gotten parts online from Isavetractors.  Never had any issues with the parts or customer service. I know when I get stuff from ebay or Amazon chances are 50 - 50 whether it will work or not.

Brockport Bill
26 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

I have gotten parts online from Isavetractors.  Never had any issues with the parts or customer service. I know when I get stuff from ebay or Amazon chances are 50 - 50 whether it will work or not.

i also purchase from ISAVETRACTORS -- very good results so far -- just bought another item --- however, for me as a modest "fixer" of my tractors i find NormsYoutube videos extremely informative and helpful - he has a excellent manner and skill of communication - - plus, he knows his tractors - especially his WH's and Kohlers - if you have not watched his videos i suggest you give them a visit

• Like 1

ranger

I noticed the other day whilst searching ‘ Wheelhorse’, on the bay, I came across a number of sellers offering the pto clutch plate, also made in China!

Wild Bill 633
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ranger said:

I came across a number of sellers offering the pto clutch plate, also made in China!

I had Brake Materials & Parts Inc. in Ft. Wayne, IN reline a Simplicity PTO cone clutch ($35) and brake ($30) plus shipping. Total cost ended up being about $50 each. Call before hand. Scott is a very nice man to deal with. Another is Industrial Brake & Clutch in Seminole, FL.

PTO Clutch & Brake.jpg

Edited by Wild Bill 633

squonk
12 minutes ago, Wild Bill 633 said:

I had Brake Materials & Parts Inc. in Ft. Wayne, IN reline a Simplicity PTO cone clutch ($35) and brake ($30) plus shipping. Total cost ended up being about $50 each. Call before hand. Scott is a very nice man to deal with.

PTO Clutch & Brake.jpg

Rochester Clutch and Brake is another good one. 

https://www.rochesterclutch.com/

ohiofarmer
Posted (edited)

I think it's sort of the same thing for carburetor diaphragms. Maybe Carter still has the parts. 

I just rebuilt some tilliotson chain saw stuff and dicarbs.com gets the stuff OEM whenever possible. The kits cost about the same as a china carb, but no way is the rubber gonna last as long.

It's a complete kit including needle and seat and the mounting thick gasket. Good stuff

Edited by ohiofarmer