TJN

Hey guys/gals, I'm restoring a 1973 tractor.  Need your thoughts on paint colors/manufacturers for body and wheels.  Prefer Rust-oleum as it's available locally. Many thanks, Tom.      tomnolan1941@gmail.com 

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

This topic comes up regularly... Check out this post:

kpinnc
2 hours ago, TJN said:

Prefer Rust-oleum as it's available locally.

Can't speak for longevity yet, but the IH red "Farm Implement" Rust-Oleum has higher gloss than regular rattle cans. It's a bit slower to fully cure, but worth the wait IMO. 

IMG_20240221_212551878.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

JoeM

One big question is are you using a spray gun or rattle cans.  Rattle cans work but take longer to dry and don't seem to get as hard. I like Regal Red for a WH

I used Rust-o-leum oil base with hardener in a spray gun and it produced good results. But even with the hardener it is soft. Plus it is not UV friendly. Just as the rattle cans.

My last couple jobs I used Single Stage Acrylic Enamel Auto Paint from PMI. (available on Ebay) Comes with reducer and hardener in a kit form. Much, much better to spray and work with. Lots of reds to choose from at $135 per gallon. One quart kit is $85. If you doing the entire machine in and out at least 2 quarts are needed. If just the outside of the hood fenders and sides 1 quart will work. 

Wheel some like silver some like almond etc. I rattle can wheels and top coat with Clear Enamel.

Ed Kennell
Posted (edited)

020066776589_1_723.jpgI like Regal Red and Almond.

Oh, :text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977
Posted (edited)

I used Rust-oleum IH Red  "farm Implementt" and Acetone, hardern. a Harbor Frieght gun on this Raider. It dries fast, put it back together a couple days later, I mixed 4 oz. paint, 2 oz, acetone,and 2 oz. harder. I couldn't fine the harder I wanted to use, found what i had for icheting primer, was ready to paint and used it, textured the paint and hid all the small imperfections,

SAM-1664.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

JoeM
11 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

textured the paiont

just curious about how you textured the paint?

On ones with a significant amount of pitting were I am not into the body bondo stuff. I have used bed liner paint and cover it with red gloss. It adds more expense to the job.

squonk
Posted (edited)

If your going to Rattle can it. Rust oleum Regal Red. When you spray the last coat of color immediately spray a coat of Rust oleum Chrystal clear. when the first coat of clear dries (15 min) spray a 2nd coat of clear. In an hour you will be able to touch it .

Rust-Oleum® Protective Enamel Spray Paint – For the Farmer Crystal Clear, Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Gloss Protective Enamel Spray  Paint-7701830, 12 oz - Walmart.com

IMG_20230806_102834561.jpg.6bf78a213fa92f4274a03a2b2c744dc7.jpg.5679b78beb3ca292adf7b7c201bfaace.jpg

NOTE: EVERYONE'S EYES SEE COLORS DIFFERENTLY!!! Regal red looks good to me. Other's like Sunrise Red. To me sunrise red makes a tractor look like a pumpkin!!

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
59 minutes ago, squonk said:

NOTE: EVERYONE'S EYES SEE COLORS DIFFERENTLY!!

Yep,   When I had my cataracts removed and left the office, I couldn't find my car.      It had changed from a gray to a tan color.    :unsure:

• Haha 3

JoeM
1 hour ago, squonk said:

When you spray the last coat of color immediately spray a coat of Rust oleum Chrystal clear

that works great. :text-yeahthat: It is unbelievable how much that stuff can improve a paint job. Like Mike says, got to put it on right after the color. 

And if you want, in couple weed it can be polished into a real nice shine.

image.png.bd506ed8ba9f036686c773eaa8e3837d.pngimage.png.d70939a620521ec5bcff495deb4d9ebd.png

• Like 1

Lee1977
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JoeM said:

just curious about how you textured the paint?

On ones with a significant amount of pitting were I am not into the body bondo stuff. I have used bed liner paint and cover it with red gloss. It adds more expense to the job.

I'm sure it was the hardener for the etchting primer "Omni 284 high temperature". It was some paint I bought when I painted my truck. I have had some of that paint for years that might have had some efect. I'll never paint another Wheel Horse with spray cans. That HF spray gun paints good. bought two at the same time, have never got the other one out of the box. 

SAM-0846.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

Wild Bill 633

FB_IMG_1708564758086.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Lee1977
58 minutes ago, Wild Bill 633 said:

FB_IMG_1708564758086.jpg

I'm supprized you can still see the windows!

kpinnc
Posted (edited)

@Wild Bill 633

That poor frikking dog! :lol:

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

JoeM
5 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

That HF spray gun paints good

Same here. And now I use brake clean to clean the gun out and if I use a disposable cup 3 minutes. So much better. 

I tend to use rattle cans it the jobs are smaller.