Gary S Minnesota

Oil pressure light blinking faintly?

Gary S Minnesota

I noticed my 314-8 with the Command Pro OHV engine is showing a very faint blink on the oil pressure light.  It blinks very lightly about every 4 seconds.

The frequency remains constant from idle to wide open throttle.

10-30 wt oil which shows full on the dipstick.

Any way to check the oil pressure without replacing the sender unit.

Wiring on the sender appears good. ( I cleaned it).  Is the ground up next to the idiot light on the dash panel?

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The ground for the light is at the oil pressure switch.

Not running or no oil pressure the switch should close and ground the light which is powered with the ignition switch in the run position.

That ground wire from the oil lamp to the sender also powers the hour meter.

When the oil switch is open (no light) there is enough current flow through the bulb to the ground wire to power the hour meter and theoretically not enough to light the bulb.

If the oil switch closes this pulls the ground to 0 volts so light on and the hour meter is no longer powered.

Wheel Horse always used a flashing oil light but in this model I don't know how that is done.

If you remove the wire from the oil sender and with ignition in run position the hour meter should advance.

This is done to prevent adding hours when not running - key accidently getting left on.

Just click on the picture to enlarge it

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

gwest_ca

The 1998 operator manual claims the oil light blinks when activated but don't know what causes the flash.

If the light is an LED it likely has a flasher in the circuit and part of the idiot light module.

• Like 2

Gary S Minnesota

Rather than using the word “blink” I maybe should have said “flicker”.  When the ignition switch is turned on the oil light  glows bright red.  Following the engine starting, after about 4-5 seconds the light will flicker. It continues to flicker dimly about once every 3-4 seconds regardless of idle or full throttle. It does not flicker bright red but dimly on 1/2 of the light’s face.

My concern is possible lack of oil pressure ?

• Like 1

Tractorhead

When you said „Flicker“ that sounds for me for a clogged oil Filter.

That can result in low Oil pressure and causes the

i would give her an oilchange with filter and it should be fine.

depending on regular service a oilchange is allway‘s a good way to start an never a wasted money.

• Like 2

Wild Bill 633
13 hours ago, Gary S Minnesota said:

Any way to check the oil pressure without replacing the sender unit.

Can use a Kohler has an oil pressure test kit/mechanical oil pressure gauge, P/N 25 761 06-S or equivalent. Probably less expensive to replace the oil pressure switch. Switch activates at 2-5 PSI. Also, "some" Kohler engines are wired with the oil sentry, where the oil pressure switch will ground the ignition. During start mode, the engine will not start until the switch sees oil pressure.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Any mechanical oil pressure gauge can be used for testing. If the gauge can not be installed directly into the engine a grease whip hose can be used to connect. They are usually 1/8" pipe thread on both ends.

The parts list show 3 identical lights used so the flasher component may be part of the hour meter circuit. No mention in the manual about the pto or brake lights flashing.

Key ON and the engine not running.

What does the oil light do with the wire connected to the oil pressure switch and not connected to the pressure switch.

Now do the same test with the hour meter connected and not connected.

Tractor 314-8 idiot light operation SS.jpg

Hourmeter 94-4208 SS.jpg

• Like 2

Gary S Minnesota

Had 33 hours on the oil and filter since last changed.  I went ahead and dropped the oil and installed a new filter today.

I still have the slight flicker every 3-4 seconds, so I ordered a new oil pressure switch for abou $13.00.

Should arrive next week.  Hope that’s the issue and not the oil pump.  The Hobbs meter is showing only 312 hours.

I bought this 314-8 with theCommand Pro 14 from a lawn mower dealer in a none running conditions. Probably a trade in on an Arens? Not aware of how long it may have sat without ever running.

Cleaned the carb and repaired several safety switches and she fired right up.

I then changed oil and filter and ran it 10 hours and again changed oil and filter.

Doesn’t smoke or make any strange noises, so I’m hoping the hour meter is correct and she has a lot of life left in her!

• Like 2

Gary S Minnesota

So,  oil and filter change and a new oil pressure switch.  Still have the faint flick about every 3 seconds regardless of RPM.

Now I’m  wondering if that light intermittent flicker may be tied to the hour meter?   I’m assuming that the hour meter gets a shot of juice every few seconds until it actually registers the next 10th of an hour?  Responders here have mentioned the hour meter gets its power from the oil pressure switch so as to not record if there is no oil pressure.  Tomorrow i am going to pull the hour meter and check its’ ground wire?

• Like 1

Tractorhead
Posted (edited)

Maybe also check also the value of the oillight bulb itself if it’s not original and it‘s bulbsocket.

Not on wheelhorse, but i had such an issue on ancombined heat and Powerplant in the past.

Possibly a wrong value bulb ( too high or too low) can affected in such mystries.

you stated it‘s about every 3 sec. That can be definitely a cause with Hourmeter interferences.

The documentation tolds about a 1W bulb and inserted was a 3W or something different.

best Way - and maybe the cheapest is, if you have a pressure gauge 1-10Bar - or similar PSI

and a adapter to insert the pressure gauge instead of the Oilswitch, to see what happen on oilpressure.

If all is fine at least 0,3 Bar in idle and about 2 Bar in running the engine seem to have for safe running conditions. More is better, but i stated about „absolute minimum rating“.

The be in my experiences the absolute minimum Ratings a pressurized oilsystem should have.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1

Gary S Minnesota

I traced the “faintly flickering” oil pressure light to the hour meter.  When the hour meter is disconnected the flicker does not appear. I disconnected and reconnected the hour meter several times and the flicker appeared and disappeared predictably.

I’ve noticed the volt meter registers at the top of the green at 14V.  The explanation regarding the operation of the Hour Meter and its electrical coil charging and then discharging to operate the mechanical number counter at about 3 second intervals corresponds to the intervals I was seeing the flicker.

Any issue with the Volt meter registering 14V? It’s still in the green but maxed out.  This is after regularly being on a battery maintainer.

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my posts.

You guys are the best!

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, Gary S Minnesota said:

Any issue with the Volt meter registering 14V? 

After 20-30 mins of running, it might be slightly high. Right after cranking I would call it normal. 

In other words, if it charges that high after a while- your battery could be the culprit. 

• Like 1

Tractorhead

On 12V  Battery system being charge voltages up to 14,4V normal.

Everything above like 14,6V is just with some AGM Battery types needed

and will fry your normal 12V Battery, more above becomes a damage on battery charging system.

not the battery was the suspect.

Check the voltage regulator, that limits the voltage while charging.

Damaged batteries will drop voltage but it will never increasing regulator‘s Limits.

Typically when regulator is shot, Voltage can raise above 15V and will shot the batterie.

Batteries have a nominal expecting worktime of 4 Years, everything beyond is gift time.

in perfect charging cycles they will stay 6-7 years but mostly not on Gardentractas.

Here is 2-3 years the reality.