Brooklyn581

1969 Sunstrand Hydro leak

Brooklyn581

I have a steady leak that I think might be an o ring so I've purchased a replacement. Started breaking things down and it seems to be a growing project.

It looks like there is a pin holding the hydro adjustment arm to the pump but no easy way to get to it.

Can someone tell me if there is an easy way to get this assembly off and regasket & replace the o ring?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree here and it's leaking somewhere else? Not sure if this is common but it no longer seems like a quick fix. There is a steady drip into the box from directly below this plastic assembly.

20240226_161808.jpg

Screenshot_20240203_202449_All PDF Reader.jpg

Brooklyn581

20240226_143114.jpg

daveoman1966

There is, in fact, a ROLL PIN holding the motion control arm to the pump side shaft.  You MAY be able to get at it without removing the entire pump, but I doubt it.  In any case, use only a Roll Pin Punch to drive out the roll pin. I've repaired a bunch of these, but always out of the tractor...on the bench.  

218 (2).JPG

218 (3).JPG

218 (4).JPG

218 (5).JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

pfrederi

You will need to replace the rings in the motion control unit #52 and #55. Some say that you can do it with out splitting the tractor..  i have  not found that to be the case. but maybe I may have fat fingers...

daveoman1966

I'll include another pic of the motion control apparatus.  

218 (6).JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto
16 hours ago, Brooklyn581 said:

Can someone tell me if there is an easy way to get this assembly off and regasket & replace the o ring?

The easiest way to change these seals is to remove the tranny from the tractor. Once you do this you will be able to access the hole to remove the roll pin from the motion arm. You will not need to remove the pump from the tranny. I've done a couple of them, should be about a 60min job providing the roll pin drives out easy. One tip to make life a bit easier - put some grease on the O=rings to help hold them in place while bolting things back together.

Edited by Achto

pfrederi

Also you will need a  1/4" 12pt socket.

I have the o rings  I use a square profile for the large one makes it easier to get it in place and with a bit of grease keep it there during reassembly  PM your address i will mail the two rings

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Brooklyn581

Well I've got it more apart than I wanted but it's a good opertunity foe a deep clean. Just waiting on parts now. Thanks pfrederi !

20240228_174724.jpg

• Like 1

Brooklyn581

Update.

New seals arrived and installed.

Took all afternoon because I'm not a mechanic but the repair stopped the leak after a test run!

Thanks again to Pfrederi!

Brooklyn581
On 2/26/2024 at 7:07 PM, daveoman1966 said:

There is, in fact, a ROLL PIN holding the motion control arm to the pump side shaft.  You MAY be able to get at it without removing the entire pump, but I doubt it.  In any case, use only a Roll Pin Punch to drive out the roll pin. I've repaired a bunch of these, but always out of the tractor...on the bench.  

218 (2).JPG

218 (3).JPG

218 (4).JPG

218 (5).JPG

Thanks for the great photos. They helped!