Brockport Bill

Weight of engine question??

Brockport Bill

approx what is the weight of a typical single cyl WH Kohler engine -- to remove it, is a hoist usually necessary, or can it be lifted and moved by one or two people? Thanks

oliver2-44

I have previously lifted complete 12-16 hp Kohlers by myself. Not the best idea as they are really to heavy for one person. I like to pull the flywheel and that sure seems to make them a little more manageable. A ceiling lifting trolley is in my shops future. 

• Like 3

Brockport Bill
7 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

I have previously lifted complete 12-16 hp Kohlers by myself. Not the best idea as they are really to heavy for one person. I like to pull the flywheel and that sure seems to make them a little more manageable. A ceiling lifting trolley is in my shops future. 

what's your guess ?? 75-100 lbs?

kpinnc

A big block kohler is well over 100lbs. Small blocks are over 70. 

K301 claimed weight is 118lbs. K341 claimed weight is 122lbs. Oil pan types, etc make quite a difference. 

If it has a starter/ generator, add about 30lbs...

There was a time that I could throw one around with ease. Those days are long gone. 

Removing the flywheel definitely makes a difference. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3

Brockport Bill
1 hour ago, kpinnc said:

A big block kohler is well over 100lbs. Small blocks are over 70. 

K301 claimed weight is 118lbs. K341 claimed weight is 122lbs. Oil pan types, etc make quite a difference. 

If it has a starter/ generator, add about 30lbs...

There was a time that I could throw one around with ease. Those days are long gone. 

Removing the flywheel definitely makes a difference. 

UGH !! - perhaps in my college wrestling days that was typical weight room practice workout - but no longer - my lumbar wouldn't like that !! ------ -- ( by the way, it would be a Kohler 12 Magnum on my 312-8 ) ---- Thanks for info - Bill

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, kpinnc said:

K341 claimed weight is 122lbs.

The one on my C160 Cinnamon Horse is 128 lbs with all sheet metal, carb, starter etc. 

Either Trina or I CAN  lift one but we don't anymore. 

We either team up or use the chain falls. 

• Like 1

c-series don

@Brockport Bill Funny you bring this up! Yesterday I was all set to remove the KT 17 from my C-175 and I was going to use my C-141 with the loader. However it was blocked in by another tractor out in my shed where I didn’t feel like dealing with that out in the cold. Then I started thinking that it can’t be that heavy, so I called my brother. I then ran some 5/16” chain to the lift points and made a loop out of it. Next I stuck a 2x4” through the loop, we got on either side of it and my brother and I bent down a little bit, put the 2x4 on our shoulders. We stood up and carried it to my rolling table. Making it easier was the fact that it was on my lift table so I rolled the other table right up to it and we only carried it a few feet and didn’t have to lift it high. Regardless, it was still heavy!! As soon as we set it down we started discussing how much we thought it weighed! When I install it I will definitely use the loader though!!  

Edited by c-series don
  • Like 4

squonk

Biggest thing with lifting these engines is the fact that the weight is not balanced and finding a good place to grab it. 

My HS shop teacher taught us that you have only so many lifts in your back. Don't play Superman with it. 

• Like 6

Racinbob

The big blocks are about 120# and the small blocks about 65#. I gave up on lifting a big one a long time ago. :)

1323405076_GarageHoist.thumb.jpg.6342cc36df1c283ab5d947a616dde939.jpg

• Like 3

pfrederi

M12 approx 129lbs

Or just pick up the whole tractor:P

m12.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

doc724

faced with this situation, I did the pulley option.  However, once you have it lifted, then what?  Reinstalling it is also a problem as the engine is unbalanced and will rotate.  my simple solution was to attach the other end of the rope to another tractor.  you may have to enlist your spouse to be the "lift operator" :-)

• Like 2

953 nut

I figured out years ago that lifting an engine or transaxle is out of the question for me. I bought a Harbor Freight Hydraulic Lift Table and just roll it up to the side of the tractor with the table top at the same height as the frame, strap the table to the frame so it won't roll away and slide the engine onto the table. Simple, safe and my back thanks me.

500 lbs.  Capacity Hydraulic Table Cart

• Like 8

squonk

I had back surgery in 2019. Because of Covid I had to wait and wait. Got to the point of where I could only sleep in a recliner and could only walk about 20 feet without stopping. Had to lean on railings and whatnot to even get anywhere. SAVE YOUR BACK! 

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse
23 minutes ago, squonk said:

I had back surgery in 2019. Because of Covid I had to wait and wait. Got to the point of where I could only sleep in a recliner and could only walk about 20 feet without stopping. Had to lean on railings and whatnot to even get anywhere. SAVE YOUR BACK! 

Did they work on your head or are they waiting for a robot melon to attach to your neck ?

• Haha 1

RED-Z06

I put my M12 on my 312-8 by myself, just the shortblock, no starter, no flywheel, no oil pan...i got it up there...solid 90lbs at that point, 125ish dressed.  Onan is about 125 with its aluminum block.

If you hate your back, lift a Kohler K-482-K-582.  Thats 200lbs of dead weight

• Like 1