953 nut

TRACTOR TRIVIA and other interesting stuff 2/25/2024

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

My father subscribed to several magazines

My paternal Grampa did as well. 

He was an absolutely voracious reader of many things mechanical. 

I remember perusing the pages as you did. 

Always something fascinating in there. 

• Like 1

ri702bill
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I remember perusing the pages as you did. 

Always something fascinating in there. 

AS did I - my Dad had a woodshop in the basement. He had about 100 back issues of Popular Machanics above the workbench....

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Sailman

My grandpa had an old metal cabinet in his shed back on the farm in Iowa filled with old popular mechanics magazines. Spent many an hour reading and imagining the possibilities. Kids today have tic toc and instagram....guess that's why so many of us old farts are here......:hide: 

• Like 4
  • Heart 3

953 nut

Glad this is restoring good memories for some of us.I have found several other "Build This Tractor" articles I will be posting from time to time.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

oldlineman

Yes I also remember those days when life was much simpler, and we had a lot to be thankful for but didn't know it at the time. Time really makes a person much smarter I guess. Thanks for the memories Richard .

• Like 1

ri702bill
8 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The price of machining of various parts has probably gone up too. I doubt that an old Ford axle could be shortened, threaded and a keyway cut for $ 10.50 anymore.

I could not buy even the fasteners for that price !! :confusion-shrug:

• Haha 1

Lee1977

Here is one I built, didn't go exacly like the plan. 70 Mercury Cougar shorting 8" rear end and steering box,71 Ford pickup transmission, fairlane front spindles, Not sure what Ford the drive shaft came from. Cut 5" out of one axle and 8" out of the other. Friend of mine drilled and pined them and we welded them back together.\

Then I cut the axle housing  and welded them beck together. One axle slid right in the other lacked a little bolting up.  Pulled it out ground about 1/16" off the end and then bolted it up. If my memory is still holding up the rear width is 56".it will fit on my 5' x 10' trailer.

SAM-0024.jpg

SAM-0576.jpg

SAM-0610.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Excellent 7

953 nut
10 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

one I built,

:text-coolphotos:                     Very cool, I see you used the parking brakes for stopping power too.              :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Lee1977

Cost for pulleys, sprockets, you joints, engine, bearings, new brake drums and shues was around six or seven hundred

Most of the car and truck parts came from my dads farm, the rest were given to me by friends or I aready had,

The frame was left over steel from from a trailer build.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1