AJ Desalvo

Fuel pump

AJ Desalvo

Hello again :greetings-waveyellow:

My 657 has the k181 engine.

The fuel supply is straight from the fuel tank.

There is not a fuel pump installed on the engine.

The engine runs nice with the current system.

Should I make new fuel lines and install a fuel pump or leave it be?

I have started to research a new pump but not sure if the aftermarket pumps are worth the effort.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks again!!

• Like 1

kpinnc

Since your tractor is gravity fed, and so long as it's working well, I would say leave it as is. If you replace the fuel line, just route it exactly as it is now. 

• Like 8

Lee1977

If it isn't broke don't fix it.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Leave it if it's working fine. Keep the tank on the half full side. 

1 hour ago, AJ Desalvo said:

new pump but not sure if the aftermarket pumps are worth the effort 

Not... you get a 50/50 shot at getting one that works. 

• Like 5

kpinnc

@BillD made this one on his Kohler. Far better than rebuilding one IMO, and these are reliable pulse setups. There are kits on Ebay for similar setup, but they are $85! Just seach "Kohler fuel pump mod".

But Bill's looks better...

KIMG0869.JPG.65ad6d29c7539a6fcdbb35e5bcb56c5b.jpeg

• Like 3

pfrederi

Gravity has been working for millions of years

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

JoeM
4 hours ago, AJ Desalvo said:

The fuel supply is straight from the fuel tank.

And if you add or replace the filter be careful some fine filters will restrict flow. I believe 40 micron and larger for gravity feed. 

• Like 2

WHX??

Me thinks kp is hosing us! ... :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

kpinnc
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Me thinks kp is hosing us! ... 

images (9).jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Excuse me kp @BillD has got me confused all those hoses running around... did I mention I'm a purist and a orginal freak? :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Excuse me kp @BillD has got me confused all those hoses running around... did I mention I'm a purist and a orginal freak? :lol:

I like an original as well. That being said, down here in NC we're lucky to find a tractor at all. Original machines are extremely rare. Absolutely none of my tractors would even be usable if I didn't implement a few mods. Several of my tractors that are very good machines are at best Frankenstein monsters. Of course I have a tendency to "upgrade" where I think it deserves improvement. 

Short version: I prefer original tractors, and am jealous of the folks up north in that respect. But when my choice is running and working vs originality- I'm gonna lean towards the former. I think they were meant to be enjoyed, and am open to whatever it takes to keep them going. :thumbs:

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

ICE
On 2/22/2024 at 11:20 PM, kpinnc said:

I like an original as well. That being said, down here in NC we're lucky to find a tractor at all. Original machines are extremely rare. Absolutely none of my tractors would even be usable if I didn't implement a few mods. Several of my tractors that are very good machines are at best Frankenstein monsters. Of course I have a tendency to "upgrade" where I think it deserves improvement. 

Short version: I prefer original tractors, and am jealous of the folks up north in that respect. But when my choice is running and working vs originality- I'm gonna lean towards the former. I think they were meant to be enjoyed, and am open to whatever it takes to keep them going. :thumbs:

This is so true about the scarcity of quality older garden tractors in NC.  Mostly just budget big box lightweight machines.

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, ICE said:

This is so true about the scarcity of quality older garden tractors in NC.  Mostly just budget big box lightweight machines.

10-15 years ago, they were fairly common. You might even find an occasional round hood. 

Now? They are few and far between. Either scrapped or sold on Craigslist, but pretty much gone. 

• Like 1

Bill D
Posted (edited)
On 2/22/2024 at 1:58 PM, kpinnc said:

@BillD made this one on his Kohler. Far better than rebuilding one IMO, and these are reliable pulse setups. There are kits on Ebay for similar setup, but they are $85! Just seach "Kohler fuel pump mod".

But Bill's looks better...

KIMG0869.JPG.65ad6d29c7539a6fcdbb35e5bcb56c5b.jpeg

Thanks for the compliment.  I have three of these in service now.  The plate is made of 1/4" stainless steel.  All are working well.

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 1

Bill D
On 2/22/2024 at 9:10 PM, WHX?? said:

I needed a fuel pump for my Dad's tractor.  Changing to an impulse pump was the most cost effective option.