Chris-laf

I need help

Chris-laf

Looking for some ignition parts for 1969 wheel horse gt 14 I'm in search of an ignition coil as well as a pickup anything would be appreciated information on where I can find them or if you have one for purchase - thank you 

20240221_170026.jpg

20240221_170032.jpg

rjg854

You can post in our wanted section if the classifieds and that will get you. Maybe what you're looking for.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Chris-laf said:

Looking for some ignition parts for 1969 wheel horse gt 14 I'm in search of an ignition coil as well as a pickup anything would be appreciated information on where I can find them or if you have one for purchase - thank you 

Unless you're specifically trying to keep original form you could likely change over to points for less money. 

• Like 4

WHX??
1 hour ago, rjg854 said:

You can post in our wanted section if the classifieds and that will get you. Maybe what you're looking for.

:text-yeahthat:

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds/wanted/

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

The breakerless ignition is wonderful until it quits working, then it has to go. I wouldn't want to spend money and time on a half century old electronic part when I could convert the engine to reliable battery powered ignition with a coil. Check out this post.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

:text-goodpost:

Chris-laf
56 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Unless you're specifically trying to keep original form you could likely change over to points for less money. 

What would be necessary to switch to points I'm doing my best to learn just recently got into tractors more specifically wheel horses anything helps thank you 

WHX??
2 minutes ago, Chris-laf said:

What would be necessary to switch to points 

Not sure as I have never done this conversion but I can :WRS:.

You came to the right place to get answers. 

Chris-laf
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

Not sure as I have never done this conversion but I can :WRS:.

You came to the right place to get answers. 

So far I have definetly found great information just wish parts were easier lol

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Chris-laf said:

So far I have definetly found great information just wish parts were easier lol

No worries on the parts really.  

Just need to get accustomed to looking at the right place.  

Take a look at the thread posted above. That'll show you what needs doing.  

pfrederi

Have you tested the components.  Coils are easier to find if that is the problem

The tester is a couple of D cell batteries  and old school flashlight bulb

trigger.JPG

coil.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Chris-laf

Haven't tested it quite yet what how would I need to run the batteries and flashlight bulb in order to check 

953 nut
12 hours ago, Chris-laf said:

What would be necessary to switch to points I'm doing my best to learn just recently got into tractors more specifically wheel horses anything helps thank you 

First you should test the system you have to confirm it is in need of replacement as @pfrederi suggested. Follow the steps outlined in the attached information he gave you. You won't know what is good or bad without TESTING IT.

If you need to replace the ignition system you would need an internally resisted ignition coil, ignition points, points push rod and a condenser.

The post I attached to reply #5 covers the process step by step, take a couple of minutes and read it.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Tape a wire (blueline) to the batt + use the other end of it and the end of the black wire from the bulb as probes for the tests.

IMG_0944.JPG

• Like 1

kpinnc

I have that same breakerless system on my Bronco 14. The only time I had issues with it were when the very tiny tab on the bottom of the coil got corroded, weakening the contact from the trigger. A brass brush cleaned it up, and some CRC (or contact grease) kept it from coming back. That was several years ago.

That tiny trigger contact on the bottom of the coil seems to be the weak point on these things. Make sure it's clean and the wire terminal is crimped so it fits snug. 

Good luck! 

Edited by kpinnc

Chris-laf
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Tape a wire (blueline) to the batt + use the other end of it and the end of the black wire from the bulb as probes for the tests.

IMG_0944.JPG

Turn the engine over after connecting the blue wire and black wire to the coild correct and hope for the light to turn on?

pfrederi

Please read the directions this is done with everything disconnected and off the engine.  You can damage the trigger if you do it incorrectly

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1