Jason Miller

Carburator

Jason Miller

Put a new carb (refurb) on my 861 the other carb was corroded and totally shot. Now i cant get it to fire. The old one was dumping fuel into engine. I ordered a new plug the old one was swimming in gas. Hopefully this will work. Any suggestions?

ri702bill

YES! Do check the oil level and see if it is overfilled with gasoline diluted oil - before you try to start it. An IMMEDIATE oil change may be in order.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Jason Miller

I'll change oil. Thanks.  I'll keep you posted on it starting.  Trying to avoid taking it somewhere. 

Jason

• Like 1

953 nut

The Kohler service manual has a lot of good information in it including carb adjustments. The problem could be a lack of spark, check that first. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

wallfish

What is a 861 ?  And what engine model is this? Did it run before the carb swap? Is the ignition actually working?

The more accurate information you can provide the better, otherwise the only answers or suggestions you can receive are simple guesses.

On a horizontal Kohler, the carb will not dump fuel into the crank case, it will spill out of the front. If you have fuel in the crankcase of one then it's most likely the fuel pump diaphragm is damaged. Which could also explain the non start.

Or, when you say "dumping fuel into the engine" does this mean flooding the combustion chamber? Since you mention the plug is wet.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Jason Miller

Sorry mistyped. 

It's a 856 wheelhorse. 

Fuel was coming out front of carb. Also plug was wet with fuel. Took plug out turned it over to get excess out of chamber still no fire.  Took carb to shop for clean they said the internals were corroded. It's a walbro.  Got a new carb aftermarket. Tried yesterday have spark but no fire yet plug is wet and black. Waiting on new plug. That's where I'm at.

20200826_152458.jpg

Jason Miller

20210308_150322.jpg

Jason Miller

Another thing when I took old carb off I lost the piece that connects throttle to carb. Little z wire connector so had to order one if these. Not a good day

pfrederi

How are you testing for spark?

Jason Miller

I just left plug on and held it to engine

Jason Miller

I just changed oil it was runny and gas smelling definitely had gas in it. That’s  where im at now.

• Like 1

wallfish

Have you ever had this engine running before?

If you put a spring on the carb you could try starting it. The spring will keep it from reving too high.

You could try disconnecting the fuel line to prevent any guessing on flooding and just spay a little carb cleaner or WD 40 directly into the carb to see if she fires off that way

pfrederi

Some spark plugs will spark laying on the head but not under compression dry out the plug put it back in spray a bit of carb cleaner (or gas) into the carb and crank.  She should pop if not plug is bad or spark is weak..

Jason Miller

Yes it’s been running like a champ for about the past 8 months. My dad moved it and when he did he kept stalling it out and was flooding it. I had it started for a few minutes but he really had it messed up. The fuel was running out the front of carb. I cleaned everything the best i could got to the. Point where i took carb off and that’s when i replaced it. Also put new fuel filter on and new fuel lines. I’ll do the carb cleaner try. Should i spray that in the intake? 

RED-Z06

That filter housing to carb mount seems kinda funky

wallfish
2 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

That filter housing to carb mount seems kinda funky

Are you referring to this bracket?

20210308_150322.jpg.136d5bf30e4b51fc9157b11319d72828.jpg.4e1a01b2270f6cc05fe29040a00684ce.jpg

RED-Z06
Just now, wallfish said:

Are you referring to this bracket?

20210308_150322.jpg.136d5bf30e4b51fc9157b11319d72828.jpg.4e1a01b2270f6cc05fe29040a00684ce.jpg

No, the weird placement of the housing at the throat, looks like its pitched down and sitting low.

Jason Miller

That’s the old carb same bracket

Jason Miller

Hey guys I drained the oil, put a spring on the carb like you said and put the new plug in. It fired right up! Waiting on the carb link that connects the idle to the throttle cable. 

2 questions can I replace the metal gas line and 2 connectors? Looks like from the pump to the carb its a metal gas line about 6 inches?

Also when is the wheelhorse show in Ardentsville PA? Can I buy a tractor there?

Jason Miller

This is the fuel line that needs replaced also the 2 nuts that connect it

20210308_150303.jpg

Jason Miller

20210308_150307.jpg

RED-Z06

You would have to get something like steel brake line, a flairing tool, bender, ferrules and nuts.  Id ne inclined to try and thread in barbed fittings and use rubber hose and clamps 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Why do you want/need to replace that metal line. 

PS save your old carb and show us pictures of the corrosion. Shop are quick to throw a new part at it due to labor cost. Manny repop carbs are a 50/50 success/fail quality. 

Jason Miller

Sure will. I'll definitely keep it regardless. I'm hoping this refurbished carb continues to work good.

Jason Miller

What is the easiest way to put this linkage on?

20240228_094435.jpg