Pullstart

Vortec 4200 - the new Chevy LS?

Pullstart

• Like 3

Pullstart

I found Calvin, or Nivlac57 on YouTube a few months back.  What he is doing with the 4200 Vortec platform is amazing!  I was just telling Mrs. P a month or two ago about it and how fun it would be to play with one.  Seeing people play with boost and make 1,000 hp with stock internals is crazy! I don’t see me getting there any time soon, but it’s interesting.

Then this comes along for $100 yesterday as mentioned in my Shop Project thread.  Mix this, with my buddy who I learned has HP Tuners, and I think we just got a fun new toy!  

7D58861A-5FF8-4E47-937D-8FFF5C92E9B9.jpeg

• Like 3

JCM

O boy, time to install Recaro Racing Seats in ALL of the Pullstart families Automobiles.     :ROTF:    :auto-layrubber:

• Haha 3

ri702bill

Don't forget the Band-Aid dispenser...........:laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

JCM

If they work out maybe I'll ship this 86 & 2013 out and you can '' warm them up'' a bit for me. If, you promise to go easy on the 1st test run.

IMG_1216.JPG

20211029_144747.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

8ntruck

Interesting.  Guess Jaguar was onto something with their XK series.  Just limited by the technology of the time.

• Like 2

buckeyes

That is one beautiful 86!

IMG_1216.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
16 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Interesting.  Guess Jaguar was onto something with their XK series.  Just limited by the technology of the time.

It's been well known for decades that the inline engines are often quite durable and produce absolute gobs of torque. 

Some are also built to an extreme level of toughness because the ratio of main bearings to cylinders. 

The biggest disadvantage to performance in comparison to a V configuration is that the crankshaft can become  "whippy"  for lack of a better word.  

The main reasons for not seeing an inline in many production vehicles nowadays is the long size. Tough to cram into a small modern chassis.  

Another is that the fuel mixture requirements for the middle two cylinders are different from the outer set.  

Before individually controlled injection that was a challenge.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

It's been well known for decades that the inline engines are often quite durable and produce absolute gobs of torque. 

Some are also built to an extreme level of toughness because the ratio of main bearings to cylinders. 

The biggest disadvantage to performance in comparison to a V configuration is that the crankshaft can become  "whippy"  for lack of a better word.  

The main reasons for not seeing an inline in many production vehicles nowadays is the long size. Tough to cram into a small modern chassis.  

Another is that the fuel mixture requirements for the middle two cylinders are different from the outer set.  

Before individually controlled injection that was a challenge.  

An inline six is better balanced than a V8 with the weight of the moving parts opposing each other.  Many I6 engines now have 7 main bearings so the crankshaft is very stable.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

OutdoorEnvy

I'll be interested to see how this goes.  I've heard good things on that engine so always thought it's odd it isn't used more.  Especially just for daily driver type vehicles or older user trucks.  Looking forward to updates!

• Like 3

8ntruck

The torsional vibrations frequencies in longer crankshaft and camshafts can also affect inline engines.  Not sure how much, but they are a design consideration.

Several years ago, I found a series on old F1 race cars.  30's through 50's age.  Each episode was a short history of the company and a car.  Some episodes featured the old cars being run on a road course.  An Alfa Romero with a straight 8 was features in one episode.  It's exhaust note was music - to me, anyhow.  Kind of got me thinking about building a Buick straight 8 someday.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1

Pullstart

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

It's exhaust note was music - to me, anyhow

Definitely unique.  

Some inlines sound great when the front 3 or 4 cylinders are split from the other half. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

In the mid 1960's I attended short circle track races in Potter County, PA.  Some of the racers had new cars with the latest and greatest V8 power.  There were some old timers with Twin H Power Hudson flat head straight sixes that won more than their share of races.  Google Hudson Twin H Power for some good reading.  The Hudson's at these races were a pleasure to watch with short exhaust stacks right thru the hood and radiators poking thru the roof behind the driver.  They sounded like a locomotive pulling at full throttle.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

• Like 1