953 nut

TRACTOR TRIVIA and other interesting stuff 2/11/2024

Sailman

In 1924, International Harvester introduced a new row-crop tractor named the "Farmall". Its pioneering tricycle configuration would dominate US farms for the next 30 years. IHC used the Farmall brand for all their tractors with a row-crop front axle until the 1970s. At that point, the name was phased out before finally disappearing completely in 1975. CNH Global has revived the Farmall brand on some of their modern utility tractors.

I grew up on a farm in Iowa. We mainly 295-td3a.jpg.bc054e4f4a18af45c2f0adcb7a6a91be.jpgused the John Deere and Farmall tractors for the heavy work. Ford Jubilee and C Allis Chalmers for the light duty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
6 minutes ago, Sailman said:

used the John Deere and Farmall tractors for the heavy work

We had a Farmall as one of the first tractors on the farm. A few years ago my cousin pulled it out of a fence-row and did a mechanical restoration. The first show he took it to a fellow made him an offer that was too good to turn down, This picture is from about 1949 of me and dad.

h1.jpg.4e96d94cf6548e60da0868aa6b546242.jpg

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

Handy Don

While doing some consulting work at Case IH headquarters in Racine Wisconsin, I learned a lot about the company. In the late 90’s it was expanding by acquiring agricultural equipment makers all over the world.

I visited several of the plants, but one parts manufacturing plant in Canada really stood out. There two operators in shirtsleeves ran a complete computerized line that cut, shaped, treated, prepped, painted, and packaged cultivator and plow discs. They were able to run batches as small as ONE unit. Nearly everything made during a day was shipped out direct to dealers within an hour or so of the end of the workday. Urgent orders were slotted into production immediately often “hitting the dirt” the next day. The only significant inventory was raw materials and packing supplies.

Tractor makers have come a LONG way.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3