horseman with no horse

k181 runs ungoverned

horseman with no horse

my little k181 has some bypass setup on it. i would like to re-enable the govennor but i dont have any idea what its even supposed to look like. i know there are springs missing and it looks like the throttle cable is hooked up wrong? any suggestions?

Edited by horseman with no horse

wallfish

It would be easier if you could post a couple of pics of your set up now so we can see if anything is missing.

And I'll try and grab a pic of what it's supposed to look like

There's good pics of it in this thread

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1

ri702bill
2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

if you could post a couple of pics of your set up

:text-yeahthat:

squonk

rotate the gov shaft and see if it hits the stop. I had a run on broken gov. shaft tabs a couple of years ago

p4.jpg.510dcc13a44e644ceccd858dfcea3c2e.jpg

w5.jpg.387607347676277f6c5900eb1548e942.jpg

• Excellent 1

horseman with no horse

ill get some pictures tonight for sure

horseman with no horse

heres what my setup looks like

IMG_0634.jpg

wallfish
29 minutes ago, horseman with no horse said:

That set up looks correct. (except for the cable is typically connected to that throttle arm instead of a bracket made on the exhaust) That shouldn't affect performance of the governor.

Remove the governor arm from the shaft and try to spin the shaft. There's supposed to be a tab on the shaft that would stop it from spinning. If it spins all the way around that tab has broken off.

If you can not spin it all the way around that's good. Put the arm back on and set the governor.  With the cinch bolt loose use pliers to turn the shaft all the way counter clockwise, then move the governor to the left so the carb is all the way open. Lock the arm bolt.

Try starting it up in idle position and push on the governor arm with your fingers to increase RPM. You should feel it push back to try and close the carb. It won't be a guess either, it pushes pretty hard.

Sometimes when the governor has been worked on a lot, that shaft still spins in the arm's hole when you think it's tight so watch for that too.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 3

Handy Don
2 hours ago, horseman with no horse said:

IMG_0634.jpg

You can see that the sheathing on the throttle cable is being melted by the heat of the exhaust. Finding a way to re-mount it will help it live longer!

wallfish
2 hours ago, horseman with no horse said:

It does look like the spring is missing too and the screw head that holds it is broken off.

Click through the pics in that thread I posted earlier. On pg2 there's a clear view of the governor spring

• Like 1

horseman with no horse

I have a spare short block with a complete governor assembly. I just don’t know how to disassemble and reassemble the governor externally. Also as far as the broken tab thing goes, is that internal?

horseman with no horse

A step by step would be super useful as I’m being stupid clearly. 

squonk
32 minutes ago, horseman with no horse said:

I have a spare short block with a complete governor assembly. I just don’t know how to disassemble and reassemble the governor externally. Also as far as the broken tab thing goes, is that internal?

If the tab is broken, you have to disassemble almost the entire engine to replace it.

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

Governor internals last thing out in a tear down first back in rebuild...:(

Edited by pfrederi

horseman with no horse
On 2/15/2024 at 3:34 PM, squonk said:

If the tab is broken, you have to disassemble almost the entire engine to replace it.

so i just loosen the nut and rotate the shaft back and forth and if it stops in each direction, then odds are the internals are fine?

RED-Z06
6 minutes ago, horseman with no horse said:

so i just loosen the nut and rotate the shaft back and forth and if it stops in each direction, then odds are the internals are fine?

It means the cross shaft is intact? But the gear or flyweights could be bad.

wallfish

Follow the instructions in post #7 to verify governor opertion

horseman with no horse

alright im gonna take the arm off the shaft and rotate the shaft back and forth. im also gonna try to put my spare assembly on it, mostly just the spring and set the govenor.

horseman with no horse
On 2/13/2024 at 4:52 PM, wallfish said:

It does look like the spring is missing too and the screw head that holds it is broken off.

i think the screw head is there

but the spring is gone for sure

horseman with no horse

unless im looking at the wrong screw head? it looks like its sitting to the right of the tab on the rotating control disk thing. or is that not the right screw head?