ML3

Wheel Horse hunting/shopping

ML3

Drove this morning to look at a few Horses. Guy is 87yrs old & recently had a leg amputated.  His health isn't good & is unable to live at home anymore. Tractors are buried in junk! Has two 312A, C120, 520H, 1257. He has some snow plows, short chute snowblower, & looks like some misc parts. Probably a few more things buried in the mess. 

Interested in the 520. It cranked but battery was weak. Might be interested in the C120 & 1257. His neighbor said they all ran about 2-3yrs ago. It will be a huge ordeal just to get to them. 

20240210_093807.jpg

20240210_093703.jpg

20240210_094626.jpg

20240210_094605.jpg

20240210_093642.jpg

20240210_093449.jpg

20240210_094333.jpg

20240210_094230.jpg

• Like 7

ebinmaine

Quite the collection! 

3 minutes ago, ML3 said:

It will be a huge ordeal just to get to them. 

That'd be a great adventure.  Not necessarily a negative. 

Just be sure the current owner and yourself agree to a price keeping your extra effort in mind.  

Any one of them would be great workers.  

• Like 7

Sparky

I would settle on a number for all of it. Then systematically get each out. 

• Like 7

D_Mac

" The Harder The Struggle, The Greater The Victory " 

Get them all. If you leave any behind you will only regret it later.

• Like 5

Ed Kennell
12 minutes ago, Sparky said:

number for all of it.

For sure, take it all ...never know what you may find.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 5

Treepep

No hill for a climber as they say.  Very nice find.  Hate the thought of getting to a point where my equipment needs to go!  Poor guy. I am pretty used to both legs!

• Like 1

Wayne0
40 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

" The Harder The Struggle, The Greater The Victory " 

Get them all. If you leave any behind you will only regret it later.

I would take all I could in a heartbeat! If you can get a decent price, it's a no brainer. Granted, transport is an issue. Take everything even if you have to take out a loan. You can make it back on the other end!

Edited by Wayne0
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill
18 minutes ago, Wayne0 said:

Granted, transport is an issue.

Not if you load 'em up @Pullstart style - 8 is easy, with room to spare!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Sparky

Looked a bit closer, both of those 312,s have hydraulic lift so they both have the better Eaton hydro! 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, ML3 said:

. It will be a huge ordeal just to get to them. 

I have bought several estates requiring several trailer loads.    It does require some work, but it is a win for both the buyer and the heirs that are happy to unload it in one sale and not have to deal with many lookers.

• Like 5

ML3

He thinks he's sitting on gold with the tractors. Wants $500 for the 1257. Wants $1500 for 520H- way too much. $300 for the C120- that's a maybe....

I didn't ask about the 312s as I need more hp for running 2stage snowblower. 

• Sad 1

Bill D
44 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Looked a bit closer, both of those 312,s have hydraulic lift so they both have the better Eaton hydro! 

That should make them 312H's not 312A's?  Much stronger tractor.

ML3

If I remember one of the 312s said hydro & the other was an A. Neighbor was person who let me in. He said there was a guy that was gonna pay $5k for everything in the garage. I'd say 1/2 the stuff needs thrown out- old paint, chemicals, etc. Tools looked scattered so hard to say. I dont have the room to store or time to try & sell it

Retired Wrencher

ML3: That happens sometimes. I would ask if any one he knows close buy would help. Or some of your friends buy them dinner afterwords.I think he would appreciate cleaning up the mess.  And maybe would come down on the price.

• Like 1

leabassett@sbcglobal.net

You also have to remember why he has so many. I bet one would die and he would just get another one. So the older ones probably have little thing wrong with them.

JoeM

Or you buy it all an then don't want to sell it! :D

You know..... collector style.

I have not had to much luck flipping tractors. Only do well on the ones that are very low cost or free. Just the cost of parts and service stuff now puts it way out there.

• Like 1

rjg854

Another bonus for this lot is everything is inside, not just left out in a field.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

ML3

From what neighbor said the guy has owned over 350 Wheel Horses over about 50yrs. I guess he used to stamp his initials in the frames to see if the tractors would make their way back to him. Seems like what he has now isn't really collectible but he still thinks they are valuable. Talked to the old guy a few times.  Seems like a nice guy & is extremely knowledgeable about Wheel Horses. Seeing his garage I'd definitely say he's a hoarder. 

• Like 2

TractorEd

If you want them, tell him what you plan on doing with them, that the market wouldn’t allow paying that much to buy and fix them up.  Say how much you like them and throw out a price you’re comfortable with.  The worst he can say is get out.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Make your offer for the whole lot and walk away if no go. May just get a call down the road when things don't sell... :twocents-twocents:

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
7 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Make your offer for the whole lot and walk away if no go. May just get a call down the road when things don't sell... :twocents-twocents:

:text-yeahthat:

Having purchased entire collections and liquidated one for a friend, I understand it does require  time and effort.    Eventually when those responsible for the liquidation realize the amount of work involved, your offer may become attractive.            Make an offer based on the value of the items you can see.  Your rewards may come from the unseen treasures that are eventually uncovered.

• Like 6

RED-Z06

His prices arent in line with whats presented, as presented.  Id be in at 1500 for the lot with me doing all the labor to remove them.  If someone wants to give him 5k for mostly trash...go for it

• Like 2

ML3
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-yeahthat:

Having purchased entire collections and liquidated one for a friend, I understand it does require  time and effort.    Eventually when those responsible for the liquidation realize the amount of work involved, your offer may become attractive.            Make an offer based on the value of the items you can see.  Your rewards may come from the unseen treasures that are eventually uncovered.

I don't have the time or space to deal with all that. I think he realizes he needs to sell but he doesn't want to. His neighbor has been trying to tell him to let the stuff go so after he's gone his family doesn't have to deal with it. 

• Like 3

ML3
32 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

His prices arent in line with whats presented, as presented.  Id be in at 1500 for the lot with me doing all the labor to remove them.  If someone wants to give him 5k for mostly trash...go for it

Agree! His price for tractors are in line with running/operating tractors. Nothing he has is super rare, really desirable, or really nice. 

slim67

what about that gravely rider in the background?