conehead

Plow Blade Question(s)

conehead

Good morning Wheel Horse World.

I recently obtained a 42" plow blade that is missing the angle adjustment lever. The seriel number on the blade frame is 06-42BC01-11756 the four digits below the seriel number are 9095.

I have a circa mid-1980 312-8. Does anyone know if this blade will work my tractor? And do I need to be searching for a specific lever or will any WH lever work that I find out on the WWW?

Thanks!

Conehead

Blasterdad

ri702bill

Well, looks like that 42" plow is a "long frame" design, according to the manual (did you download it??). The angling lever, for the most part, all would work - but - some tractors need an extra bend in it to clear an obstruction.

The angling rods are NOT the same in short frame and long frame plows. They look the same; the longer rod is for a long frame plow. (easy enough to fabricate if it is missing.)

Good news - a 48" blade interchanges too....

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

ri702bill

One good upgrade is to replace the bent ends of the angling rod with a pair of spherical Heim joints. Smooooth action.

P4030166.JPG

P4030167.JPG

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 2

peter lena

@conehead  suggest  you set this up on milk grates , one at rear of frame , the other just behind the front end steering quadrant , swing point ,  then use a roller stool  around it for function checks , have washer firmed up connection areas , like red aerosol grease , on / in the lever squeeze lever linkage , especially at the quadrant slide pin , spring area , another sloppy spot is the light lever pull rod , firm up the end connections , small channel locks , lubricate , make it move everywhere with total ease , might have a helper , swing blade so you can verify what's going on , while you are looking at it . what ever you build in / set up , is exactly  how it will work on the  tractor , like 1/8 "  spring clips on the rear frame levers , push thru to last big hole , they will not fall off . pete

• Like 1

conehead

Okay Pete, thanks for the wisdom. I will get working on it, I may have some followup questions for you.... please stay tuned. Any suggestions on the Index Lever and Release Handle?

Thanks again!

Conehead

conehead

Also, thanks Blasterdad and ri702bill for the photos and prints. I have downloaded the prints and reviewed the photos. I like the idea of changing out the ends. I iwll upload some photos so those interested can see what I'm dealing with.

Thanks again gang!

Conehead

peter lena

@conehead  that index lever / release handle is easy , once you free up and lubricated the slide pin for the steering quadrant , agree with @ri702bill on the HEIM JOINTS , and related detailing . that slide pin sounds like a rifle bolt  the roller stool build , lets you adjust / change and try out , that lever pull rod , should have little play in it , that details response . also notice the pull rod  end, both of those end curves help hold the movement swing in play , the detail difference in blade movement , is very easy / smooth , red aerosol grease . verify as you go . glad you are on it , your not one of the cone heads from Saturday night live  , are you ?  Pete 

• Haha 1

daveoman1966

This is the Index Lever you want...  Make one from flat stock...easy to do (if you have the right tools).  504967268_091011-010.jpg.4b02e84dfbeee4f5b4e2afbe5d4a3252.jpg1663245366_INDEXLEVER-Copy.jpg.f5a7ed8bffc0528ca78bc3eab0638ae2.jpg265115317_091011-011.jpg.f042285ab698bc6ebd9da307bb127403.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill
2 hours ago, conehead said:

I like the idea of changing out the ends

Actuallt, it is NOT an exactly easy thing to do!! PM me when you are ready..... Got a couple of tricks to make it easier.....

conehead

Good morning Pete, Dave and 702Bill.. Thanks to Dave for the photos and specs to fabricate the handle. As luck would have it, I don't have the tools but I might know someone who does. 702 Bill, thanks for volunteering to help out with the changing out the ends when I get there, much appreciated! And finally, Pete. Thanks for the guidance on the overall operation of the mechanism, I'll make sure to keep these details in mind. I wish I had some time on SNL from that era, those were good times. Sadly, I was cursed with a first name that afforded me the nickname that I've grown to love. Thanks again for all the help. I'll update as I progress.

Cheers.

Conehead!  

• Thanks 1