76c12091520h

The things that people throw away (part 7 or8)

ebinmaine

Excellent save.  The top of that mowing deck looks fantastic.  

• Like 6

peter lena

@76c12091520h  yes in todays world , even the most basic form of maintenance  is non existent , to me looks like a thorough functional check , and related service , oils /  electrical , maybe even a  penetrating oil wipe down , could easily turn that into , dollars , seat would be very easy , Pete   

• Like 2

ri702bill

I have run into "similar" at one of the local metal recyclers. I never give the vertical shaft ones a second look, but any WH or other brand, with a horizontal Kohler engine gets a thorough look over before I leave....

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

:clap:

• Like 3

kpinnc

I tried to save a 314-8 once at the scrap yard, but someone beat me to it. As of to make me feel better that I didn't get it, the scrap guy said the engine was blown up. He said he proved it by sticking a screwdriver in the spark plug hole, and nothing moved when he rotated the flywheel. That particular engine had the plug between the valves, but oh well. At least someone took it home. 

Congratulations on saving another one! :thumbs:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

JoeM

It's a keeper .

"the lucky horse" 

never get rid of it. it was meant to be!

• Like 3

peter lena

@JoeM  local bone always has , the newer plastic / die cast junk , lots of vertical engines , even the wheels fail on those .  that horse I  got last summer , was total neglect , spent about 3 weeks on it , looked like it was sitting in a mulch pit , once running , woke it up with heavily treated gas in a gallon jug , dropped the " oil  " that was in it , got it  hot for a flush with 5-30 Castrol , fast idle , refill with 4 oz of rislone zinc  , 5-30 castrol , no smoke or noise , carb bowl was grunge city , new lines , 2 filters , clean out tank . trans was nasty , refill with ATF fluid , road miles , new boot , flush was clean / clear , lucas , climbing gear oil , electrical , mess. sold it to a lawn maintenance  guy , wanted it to tow boat trailers around , gave him the info on the better W/H bolt on hitches , he was amazed ! like living in a closet , looking thru a straw  ! Pete  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

grinchsr

I love how someone kept the seat safety switch in the correct position.

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, grinchsr said:

I love how someone kept the seat safety switch in the correct position.

So that's what it is!

I wondered... we have one here from a parts pile. 

I hadn't taken the time to run the nu.bers yet.  

Thanks Ray.  

• Like 1

JoeM
19 hours ago, peter lena said:

local bone always has , the newer plastic / die cast junk

to two local ones here don't let you in and once you drop something it goes to the recycle shredder. done deal

One unique thing for trash is they have a huge building and it is a waste transfer station. like a drive through. Sure beats going to that muddy smelly dump. 

• Like 1

76c12091520h

Update: I can only guess why someone scrapped it, however , both the PTO belt and the drive belt were seized fast to the pulleys (  PTO belt was in the wrong groove too ) and would not let the engine turn over. Cut the belts, checked the oil, rigged up a can of gas, put a jump pack on it.....purrs like a kitten. 

• Excellent 8