Anvil

Replacing a P220G with a Kohler M20?

Anvil

Good evening all WH junkies including myself. I have a '91 520H with a worn out P220G and have an opportunity to get a good running 1993 Kohler M20 out of a Huskee TS2051A. My question is how much of a nightmare am I looking at to make the swap? I do not know the output shaft size of the M20 or it's configuration (straight or tapered) at this point. I was hoping someone out there might have experience/knowledge of this undertaking. I'm open to all thoughts and suggestions. Thank you all. Anvil

kpinnc

I don't know for sure, but can't find any Husky TS2051A.

But, every Husky I do find has a vertical shaft engine, and the 520-H uses a horizontal. If both engines were horizontal shaft and had the same type of PTO shaft, it can be done fairly easy. Things like ignition types and mount position can be worked out. 

Also- even if they are both horizontal, you will lose some of the dash guage functionality. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2

RED-Z06

Most likely a 1⅛" crank, not sure on length, the Huskee would have had an electric clutch up front and a belt that went down off the flywheel side that turned and twisted back to the tranny.

These were AYP produced off brand box store versions of the GT6000 style craftsman tractors.

img (1).jpeg

kpinnc
31 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

These were AYP produced off brand box store versions of the GT6000 style craftsman tractors.

Well then if that is the type of machine, it can be done. 

Anvil

Thank you all for your responses. I've read that Huskee, MTD, and a variety of other "off brand" units were manufactured by AYP. My main hurdle I think would be the crankshaft PTO end. Since I don't have the Huskee yet I won't know exactly what the configuration is and how it will mate up with the WH PTO. I have been unable to find much information on the drive/PTO. I looked through Kohler's website and various sites showing crankshafts for the M20 and seeing a variety of different ends I am still not sure.

RED-Z06, you have the exact machine's photograph on your post. It took me over an hour to find one that looked like my perspective host tractor.

Kpinnic, I must apologize for my misspelling of Husky which might have thrown you off. I did the same thing in my search. The tractor I am attempting to purchase has been painted and there are no decals or names on it.

Thank you both for your assistance in my new venture. Since I won't have the host for a week or two I won't have anything to compare it to.

Anyone out there think this re-power is a bad idea? I feel the Onan's with their valve seat issues might not be as durable as the Kohler cast Iron.

Best regards, Anvil

kpinnc
6 minutes ago, Anvil said:

Kpinnc, I must apologize for my misspelling of Husky which might have thrown you off.

No need for that. It doesn't take much to derail my train. All good now.

So long as your M20 has at least a 2.75 inch long shaft, either 1 or 1.125 diameter, you can make it work. Just measure where the shaft currently is on your 520-H so you can make sure to mount the Kohler in the same spot.

Since it's a Magnum, you likely will be converting ignition type. It's not difficult at all. As I said before, you'll loose some of your dash guages just simply due to a lack of sending units on the Kohler. But all in all it's not an impossible swap. 

953 nut

The electrical portion shouldn't be a problem although as @kpinnc pointed out you may not have all the gauges. The thread below will show you how to convert your battery ignition to magneto. You will want to retain the electric clutch on the Kohler.

RED-Z06
2 hours ago, Anvil said:

Thank you all for your responses. I've read that Huskee, MTD, and a variety of other "off brand" units were manufactured by AYP. My main hurdle I think would be the crankshaft PTO end. Since I don't have the Huskee yet I won't know exactly what the configuration is and how it will mate up with the WH PTO. I have been unable to find much information on the drive/PTO. I looked through Kohler's website and various sites showing crankshafts for the M20 and seeing a variety of different ends I am still not sure.

RED-Z06, you have the exact machine's photograph on your post. It took me over an hour to find one that looked like my perspective host tractor.

Kpinnic, I must apologize for my misspelling of Husky which might have thrown you off. I did the same thing in my search. The tractor I am attempting to purchase has been painted and there are no decals or names on it.

Thank you both for your assistance in my new venture. Since I won't have the host for a week or two I won't have anything to compare it to.

Anyone out there think this re-power is a bad idea? I feel the Onan's with their valve seat issues might not be as durable as the Kohler cast Iron.

Best regards, Anvil

MTD is their own manufacturer, they make or have made Cub Cadet, Bolens, White, Craftsman 258.xxxxx, Yard Man, Yard Machines...and more 

AYP (American Yard Products) was another manufacturer and they produced Craftsman (917.xxxxx) (after Roper did), Huskee, Lowes, Husqvarna, Poulan, Poulan Pro, Dixon..and others.  AYP was acquired by electrolux, which was then acquired by Husqvarna who currently owns them.

16506434373_7675723922_o.jpg

• Like 1

oliver2-44

The Husky your acquiring most likely has an electric PTO. If the Kohler shaft is the wrong length or diameter for the Wheel Horse PTO, you could most likely use the electric PTO that came on the Husky. You would need to verify the electric PTO,s pulley width and diameter matched the WH one. 

RED-Z06
32 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

The Husky your acquiring most likely has an electric PTO. If the Kohler shaft is the wrong length or diameter for the Wheel Horse PTO, you could most likely use the electric PTO that came on the Husky. You would need to verify the electric PTO,s pulley width and diameter matched the WH one. 

Big question would be is there room for the hydro belt pulley behind the clutch?  With no drive up front on the huskee, the clutch is probably flush mounted like the Deere 300/400 series 

kpinnc
6 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

Big question would be is there room for the hydro belt pulley behind the clutch?  With no drive up front on the huskee, the clutch is probably flush mounted like the Deere 300/400 series 

Exactly. That's why I said diameter isn't as important as having at least 2.75 length PTO shaft. 

Wayne0
56 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Exactly. That's why I said diameter isn't as important as having at least 2.75 length PTO shaft. 

That's what she said! :lol:

• Haha 1

Blasterdad

Output shaft looks long enough, it doesn't give the specs on it...

Blasterdad

This one shows the crank specs, you will need the spec numbers off the engine though...

• Like 1

76c12091520h

This low hour ( 340 ) P220 would solve your fitment issues......

20231231_153222[1].jpg

20220918_135234[1].jpg

• Like 4