Sailman

Ring size in oversized piston?

RED-Z06
4 minutes ago, Sailman said:

Wow, the response has been amazing...what a great community! @WHX?? what a generous offer. I will plan to pull the engine when it warms up a bit here and like @Achto said see what I have got to deal with. If there is no damage other than the broken rod I will take it to the local machine shop to check the bore and crank shaft. If they are in spec I will have them do the cylinder work and can probably install the piston and rod myself. If the engine is worn out of spec I will be reaching out and take advantage of the offers here!

I rescued this 'ol 701 with hopes of restoring it to running condition. I probably could handle a tear down and rebuild as I have the tools but I just don't have a good dedicated space to keep things. Thanks again for all the good advice.

This one will make you chuckle...the small engine guy I mentioned stated that he was told by the EPA to punch a hole in any worn out Kohler K engine.....reason being they were so "dirty" the EPA did not want them rebuilt...:scared-eek:...hope I don't trigger any heart attacks!

Your small engine guy has been in the fumes too long, EPA has given no such order to destroy legacy engines.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Wow that 701 is in great shape! 

Sure not what I started out with! 

23 minutes ago, Sailman said:

.the small engine guy I mentioned stated that he was told by the EPA to punch a hole in any worn out Kohler K engine.....reason being they were so "dirty" the EPA did not want them rebuilt...

Stay away from him. 

20200823_080133.jpg

20231221_150051.jpg

Edited by WHX??
Pic
  • Excellent 2

Achto
37 minutes ago, Sailman said:

This one will make you chuckle...the small engine guy I mentioned stated that he was told by the EPA to punch a hole in any worn out Kohler K engine.....reason being they were so "dirty" the EPA did not want them rebuilt

At work we had about 75 Honda small engines (5.5 - 13hp) that were out of date & did not meet EPA standards. We had to disassemble them and knock a hole in the block as they could not be sold to the public as new.

Never heard of the EPA banning the rebuild of vintage engines though.

• Like 1

richmondred01
36 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

Your small engine guy has been in the fumes too long, EPA has given no such order to destroy legacy engines.

He’s delusional. This guy has no idea what he’s talking about. Run and don’t look back. I can do the machine work for you, I just no longer have the dexterity in my left hand to install the two part cam for those models. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

I don't have much of an Internet presence but I would go so far as creating accounts on any kind of sites that might review this other business.

I agree with the statement above about being delusional. People like that should not be left to their own devices.

• Like 1

Sailman

I am going to deviate from the original thread. Still dealing with a K-161 but this one is from my 704. I was tinkering with this one as a prelude to tackling the 701. K-161 has similar issue, turn over by hand but no movement on the piston...soooo I have stripped the engine and removed it from tractor and cleaned it. Question is, can I remove the oil pan and head as is and see what I have to deal with or do I have to remove flywheel first?IMG_4208.jpg.d3e79b1461d48cdccd148d3770c92341.jpgIMG_4209.jpg.43b0e90e0e6b5c0f06042bcf3941535b.jpg

If it needs bore and rebuild it will have to be stripped all the way but just wondering if I can investigate as is with oil pan and head removed. Guess I will have to lay it on its side to access both ends. What say you re-builders?

Edited by Sailman
  • Like 1

RED-Z06
16 minutes ago, Sailman said:

I am going to deviate from the original thread. Still dealing with a K-161 but this one is from my 704. I was tinkering with this one as a prelude to tackling the 701. K-161 has similar issue, turn over by hand but no movement on the piston...soooo I have stripped the engine and removed it from tractor and cleaned it. Question is, can I remove the oil pan and head as is and see what I have to deal with or do I have to remove flywheel first?IMG_4208.jpg.d3e79b1461d48cdccd148d3770c92341.jpgIMG_4209.jpg.43b0e90e0e6b5c0f06042bcf3941535b.jpg

If it needs bore and rebuild it will have to be stripped all the way but just wondering if I can investigate as is with oil pan and head removed. Guess I will have to lay it on its side to access both ends. What say you re-builders?

I normally leave the oil pan on the frame and just lift the half stripped engine off the pan.  So yes, you can, the flywheel can stay in place until you have to pull the bearing plate.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc
On 2/7/2024 at 9:11 AM, WHX?? said:

Stay away from him

Someone punches a hole in my engine risks having one punched into them... :thumbs:

I would never step foot back on that property. The very attitude says all you need to know. He thinks you are too stupid to breathe the same atmosphere as him. There aren't enough old flatheads left on earth to still create this issue. Maybe 40 years ago, but not now. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1