JCV

Using a long frame plow on an older tractor

JCV

Hello. I have a 1963 753 tractor and I have a plow with the model # 6-4113-6 on it. From what I can tell it's a "long frame" plow and from a later model tractor. 

I acquired this from a friend who had the tractor but sold it. My question is can I use this set up on my 753? Nothing lines up when I attempted to install it. 

It appears that I could modify it to work but if there is an easier fix I'd prefer that. I have a rear bracket assembly. But the frame does not fit well into it. It looks like I'd need to grind off a bit of the rear of the frame to fit it in so the holes will line up. Also the lift bracket and lever for angling the blade don't line up well either. 

So.. can I use this without modification? Or should I sell it/ trade it for the right frame? 

Thanks for any suggestions.  

Jim. 

Racinbob

That's a bit baffling Jim. All you should have to do is move the rear bar to the forward hole. I have that plow and It's currently mounted to my 2005 Classis (long frame) and before I got a sickle bar I would mount it on the 854 (short). Is something bent? Some pictures likely would help. :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Bob, He may have the older style axle bracket that only works with the short frames.     To use the forward holes in a long frame, I think you must have the later axle bracket that has the slots below the axle and not in front of it.

Oh, :text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Jim.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob
3 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Bob, He may have the older style axle bracket that only works with the short frames.     To use the forward holes in a long frame, I think you must have the later axle bracket that has the slots below the axle and not in front of it.

Good point Ed. I didn't think of that. 

@JCV Pictures should easily get this ironed out. :) 

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Pictures would surely help iron out the details.  If you don’t have what you need, I might have what it takes…

gwest_ca

• Like 1

JCV

Thanks for the responses. I need to figure out how to post pictures. I did download the above file but I still had a fitment and alignment issue. 

I had to move the tractor into storage yesterday as I'm going out of town for an extended trip. I won't be able to post photos until I get back and can regroup everything. 

Appreciate the responses. I should have posted photos..  I'll revisit this when I get back. 

Jim. 

JCV

I took a second look at the file above and have a question about using the bracket. It doesn't show a rear bracket in that file. Just the pin for the holes on the back of the frame. Would that pin pass through the hole on the tractor frame where the hitch usually mounts? It seems that without a bracket it would allow side to side movement of the frame?  I even tried using my bracket and passing the pin through the hitch mount but it didn't quite line up. 

There are many good pictures on this site but I couldn't find any good pictures of the rear bracket or mounting. 

As I said above I'll get pictures posted and revisit this when I get back home..  Thanks again,

Jim.

Ed Kennell
5 minutes ago, JCV said:

Would that pin pass through the hole on the tractor frame

JC, what holes in the tractor frame are referring to?

Racinbob

Here's a couple of the style bracket you need.

985817547_AxleBrackets.jpg.6693c661bb474a4f4d82aa38c2b3a5e2.jpg

Here's the older style that Ed was referring to. 

Early-Snow-Plow-Bracket-300x300.jpg.26dea70802e3021f8e785c7df8e5e4c6.jpg

Ed Kennell

Thanks Bob.  Here are a couple pics of a long plow frame on a long frame tractor.  With this axle bracket on a short frame tractor, the plow frame could be moved back and use the forward holes in the plow frame.

104_2888.JPG.fecbd56b7e6bfb909eda19adf10e8d5b.JPG104_2890.JPG.5b202e84fc60c833cadce31468f80aa9.JPG

• Like 1