Ed Kennell

Punxsutawney Phil Predicts

Pullstart

Now let’s eat!  Phil get back here!

• Haha 8

squonk

Tookie Tookie birds were singing Wed. morning. Blue Jays pitchin a fit yesterday morning. Bella my coonhound rousted a cat out of my wife's garden yesterday afternoon. It's raining all the time. Feels like spring is already here! 

• Like 4
  • Heart 2

Blasterdad
21 minutes ago, Red-Bovine said:

Ground Hog Day is fun, 

:ROTF:

Bill Murray in a scene from "Groundhog Day."

• Haha 8

WHX??

Jimmy the groundhog same thing. Very overcast. 

Sun Prarie @Red-Bovine

They claim Jimmy has 80% accuracy.  :)

• Like 4

WHX??
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

Now let’s eat!  

Mighta figured you to throw Phil in the crock pot. 

'Chuck shanks anyone? :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

JCM

I thought Phil would have been a lot more gray for the amount of years he's been doing this  :confusion-confused:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

pfrederi

Anyone/anything even my weather rock is more accurate than the TV meteorologists.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Ed Kennell

2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

'Chuck shanks anyone? :lol:

Phil  has a line of deserts to go with that entree.

Groundhog Day Cupcake | Desserts, Holiday, Food

• Haha 6

Mickwhitt

We spend literally millions on weather forecasting over here. Some of the most powerful computers on earth crunch numbers to try and predict what nature will do. 

My verdict, its modern day snake oil.... 

Every forecast I see changes minute by minute. That's not forecasting, its just reacting. 

So many forecasts say it might rain, but you could stay dry, it just depends.

I can do that just looking out the window.

Formula 1 teams spend fortunes on weather radar and forecasters. But what is the only thing that works? Guys stationed around the race circuit sticking their paw out and calling up to say "it's raining"

I get the science behind weather recording but I cannot subscribe to the belief that any accurate predictions are possible. But an industry has built up around it and we're stuck with it.

I'd rather ask your groundhog or just poke my head out the window.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

JoeM
5 hours ago, JCM said:

I thought Phil would have been a lot more gray

He is probably using "just for groundhogs"!

A couple years ago the weather guys put out this alert of a mega snow fall coming overnight. Big accumulations predicted of show stopping proportions. 

Got up the next day and there was nothing. Nada Nothing not even a dusting.

Turned on the news and checked the weather and they said there was the phenomenon of a thing called a dry pocket that moved into a three county area causing all the snow to dry up before it hit the ground. 

WTH..... dry pocket, they explained how it did snow but was not on the ground. :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

JCM
9 minutes ago, JoeM said:

He is probably using "just for groundhogs"      

:ROTF:

• Haha 2

Mickwhitt
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

He is probably using "just for groundhogs"!

A couple years ago the weather guys put out this alert of a mega snow fall coming overnight. Big accumulations predicted of show stopping proportions. 

Got up the next day and there was nothing. Nada Nothing not even a dusting.

Turned on the news and checked the weather and they said there was the phenomenon of a thing called a dry pocket that moved into a three county area causing all the snow to dry up before it hit the ground. 

WTH..... dry pocket, they explained how it did snow but was not on the ground. :wacko:

Now that seems a typical weather forecast side step. Instead of saying "we got it wrong, sorry guys" they came up with some cock and bull story about dry pockets. The only dry pocket is mine paying for all these bloody weather men on TV! 

A few years ago someone mentioned we were going to experience a hurricane, they just do not happen over here by the way.

The BBC weather man, Michael Fish, said it was just a silly rumour and 100% would not happen.  It did, lots of damage and destruction.  Not a thing said about it, bloody weather men. Modern day séance practitioners. 

• Like 3

c-series don

I’ve yet to EVER HEAR any weather person say “Well we totally blew this forecast, sorry” They just move on and talk about the next forecast. And what’s with The Weather Channel naming storms? Like someone is going to say “Remember snowstorm Larry back in 2022?” Most people will be like what the heck is this guy talking about “Larry?” That should be left to NOAA naming major hurricanes. 

• Like 3

Mickwhitt

We never had named storms, ever.

Now we have them all the time, literally when one ends the next one pops along.

I know climate is changing, even in my 58 years things have swung toward warmer winters. But this sudden fascination with giving names to Areas of air pressure is ridiculous. Its establishment scare mongering plain and simple...be afraid storm Isha is coming.. keep you worrying about anything but the economy and what the stupid politicians are up to lol.

Weather is weather. Christ this island was once under a mile of ice, and before that was a tropical rain forest,  and at one point a sea floor.

The thing is, we've only been here the blink of a geological eye, so how the hell are we supposed to be able to make sense of this complex machine we live on. It was here long before us and will be here long after we have breathed our last and it has shrugged off this irritating little creature that want to kill everything. Agent Smith was right, humanity is a virus, and the cure may well come along one day. 

Be happy everyone ...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2