wallfish
42 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

867s have a 6 speed with Limited Slip. 

857 has the 3 speed. 

OH, maybe that's where I'm confused.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

So..........if the 867 exists from the factory, it would have the LS #5060 transmission.  My 857 has the #5053 3 speed.  Problem solved...I think.  Hey, it has been nice typing with you guys.  :occasion-xmas:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

So..........if the 867 exists from the factory, it would have the LS #5060 transmission.  My 857 has the #5053 3 speed.  Problem solved...I 

Yessir that's correct. 

Trina has one of each.  

And the Military Tribute which is an 856 with a BBT/ EB added 6 speed. 

1966 there were no 6 speeds.  

• Like 2

ebinmaine

20240218_110645.jpg.be056bae473ad4bbfbe7015eb519c5c3.jpg

• Like 1

squonk

Eric's "Final Four" brackets! :hilarious:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

stevasaurus

You know squonk...that last comment is PRICLESS !!!  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Spent a few hours in the basement workshop today working on several projects. 

The BBT's 867 Pigpen was the main focus. 

Trina the tire changer was busy this afternoon. 

One rear is swapped and ready to be fluid filled with Rimguard. The other rear tire is refusing to budge using every tool trick and tip we know. 

We're trying to reuse the tire but it's stuck hard. She's going to call our local auto mechanic tomorrow to see if they do 12" rims.  

She swapped the two fronts and installed tubes. They will also be fluid filled.  

20240218_151117.jpg.5a5930b08906e9208adfbe1242370f4a.jpg

IMG_20240218_172909.jpg.27cce436af7ca79ad21755e045a6622d.jpg

I got the differential torqued down with Trina's help holding it. 

Also got the transmission case all cleaned up,  ready for reinstallation. 

IMG_20240218_172914.jpg.c85004b23c926b618d37165d6ba8913e.jpg

IMG_20240218_172919.jpg.81abe8c863cf3f76cd7a959e31e33e02.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Sparky
22 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Trina the tire changer was busy this afternoon. 

One rear is swapped and ready to be fluid filled with Rimguard. The other rear tire is refusing to budge using every tool trick and tip we know. 

We're trying to reuse the tire but it's stuck hard. She's going to call our local auto mechanic tomorrow to see if they do 12" rims.  

She swapped the two fronts and installed tubes. They will also be fluid filled.  

20240218_151117.jpg.5a5930b08906e9208adfbe1242370f4a.jpg

What do you guys use for the dismounting and mounting of tires? 
  I had the manual tire changer from Harbor Freight for like 20 years now and it’s been great! 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Sparky said:

What do you guys use for the dismounting and mounting of tires? 
  I had the manual tire changer from Harbor Freight for like 20 years now and it’s been great! 

We have the larger HF Manual Tire Changer. 

Another of the great recommendations by fellow Redsquare crazy tractor folk. 

An EXCELLENT investment that payed for itself within the first few uses.  

For the fronts we only use it to break the beads, then use home made dulled screwdriver 🪛 tire "spoons" as levers. 

For the rears we use all the capability of the HF machine.  

One of the rears on this project is still stuck HARD at the bead.  

Looks like we'll have to cut it off with a Sawzall and use another set.  

rjg854

@ebinmaine

Put a board on the tire perpendicular to the rim and drive your truck up on the board. Has worked well for me. 

Edited by rjg854
Add
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

@ebinmaine

Put a board on the tire perpendicular to the rim and drive your truck up on the board. Has worked well for me. 

Problem we're having with this tire is that it has a VERY flexible sidewall along with the stuck bead. I believe the bead has been glued/cemented.  These tires are a little old and did leak.  

They're not worth trying as hard as we already have to save them. I just was hoping to keep them usable.  

We've decided to switch gears a bit and upgrade to a set of Carlisle Turf Master. 

We have one new one here and are ordering another.  

• Like 1

rjg854
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

They're not worth trying as hard as we already have to save them. I just was hoping to keep them usable. 

I've done this a few times with stubborn tires like yours and was able to reuse them.  But...  New tires are always better.

• Like 2

Sailman

If you want to save the tire to use with a tube just take it to a local indy tire shop. They can pop that thing off so easy with the power changers they use. Had to do that with one of my GT 14 rears. I have both HF tire tools and use them both but sometimes it just makes sense to let the pro's make quick easy work of it.

• Like 4

Sparky
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

We have the larger HF Manual Tire Changer. 

Another of the great recommendations by fellow Redsquare crazy tractor folk. 

An EXCELLENT investment that payed for itself within the first few uses.  

For the fronts we only use it to break the beads, then use home made dulled screwdriver 🪛 tire "spoons" as levers. 

For the rears we use all the capability of the HF machine.  

I have the mini…claims it does 4” to 12” wheels. I haven’t done any smaller than 6”. Ya still gotta put in some grunt to get it done but I have swapped out 100’s of tires over the years with this one.  
 Pretty sure I paid $24.99 for it brand new 

IMG_1832.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Sailman said:

If you want to save the tire to use with a tube just take it to a local indy tire shop. They can pop that thing off so easy with the power changers they use. Had to do that with one of my GT 14 rears. I have both HF tire tools and use them both but sometimes it just makes sense to let the pro's make quick easy work of it.

We thought about it. 

Given the weather cracking on this existing tire it wouldn't be worth the $20 to have it done.  

I've had the pros do a few sets but only when the value of the tire is good.  

• Like 2

ebinmaine
56 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I have the mini…claims it does 4” to 12” wheels. I haven’t done any smaller than 6”. Ya still gotta put in some grunt to get it done but I have swapped out 100’s of tires over the years with this one.  
 Pretty sure I paid $24.99 for it brand new 

That may be another tool purchase for us.  

• Like 4

ebinmaine

20240219_195939.jpg.751b73b170747411e1cf894ac4704554.jpg

• Excellent 3

kpinnc
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

I have one. There is a trick to using it, but it's worth far more than I paid for it. Smaller tires can still be a pain, and I still have to use a tire tool sometimes to help- but it does work and makes changing tires far easier. 

• Thanks 1

Sailman

I have the mini and took the advice from Norman at I Save Tractors and mounted it on an extension to my tow hitch receiver on my truck. Still takes some heft to get it done but works really well. The larger one I have bolted to the concrete. Just got to lube the bead good.

12 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Given the weather cracking on this existing tire it wouldn't be worth the $20 to have it done. 

Ouch!....my indy shop charged me $5 to pop the old one off.

Edited by Sailman
  • Like 2

Handy Don
On 2/20/2024 at 8:44 AM, Sailman said:

I have the mini and took the advice from Norman at I Save Tractors and mounted it on an extension to my tow hitch receiver on my truck. Still takes some heft to get it done but works really well. The larger one I have bolted to the concrete. Just got to lube the bead good.

Ouch!....my indy shop charged me $5 to pop the old one off.

The tech at my regular shop (where I’ve brought 000’s in business over the years) laughed when I brought them my two 6.00x12 rears that were very stuck, and then did them in less than 5 minutes for free.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

Tire removal with the appropriately sized tool:

Front end loader

Edge of bucket down on tire

Lift front end off ground

Tire go boom

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Tire removal with the appropriately sized tool:

Front end loader

Edge of bucket down on tire

Lift front end off ground

Tire go boom

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Nope. 

We tried every tool we have and we tried them Seven Ways to Sunday and we tried the board on the tire trick.

IMG_20240220_130427.jpg.78cf8d07c4b1c945c9d6b3356e26278e.jpg

IMG_20240220_130436.jpg.a44ed57cabe9f1789f1e57943408aa31.jpg

I even got out the big framing crowbar and 8 lb sledge. No movement.

This one is stuck.

You folks with good access to local available tire removal sources should thank your lucky stars. I've made a few phone calls and everybody that used to do it no longer has the machinery for small wheels or, charges by the hour to do the work by hand and does not have hydraulic machines anymore.

At this particular point in time our bare minimum travel would be 1/2 hour each way and somewhere between $45 and who knows how much, to get that tire off that rim. Sawzall will do it.

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

You folks with good access to local available tire removal sources should thank your lucky stars

I throw as much business as possible to my local (~½ mile away) auto shop and have worked to have a good “knows my name” relationship and to respect his time/schedule.

What the owner still talks about is when I got an invoice for $00’s less than I thought was correct and asked him to recheck. Yep, accidental undercharge.

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

I throw as much business as possible to my local (~½ mile away) auto shop and have worked to have a good “knows my name” relationship and to respect his time/schedule.

We have a great Auto Repair shop about 10 minutes away.  

We use them for most everything bigger than a  WH. 

They've been very honest and upfront with us. Much appreciated. 

There's 2 other shops local. All fine folks.  

NONE have a tire machine capable of less than 14" and that's dependent on the shape of the rim. 

On the plus side ... I called the place that installed and loaded the tires for Colossus a few years ago. Different owner. Gone corporate.  But dame management.  

He said they'd peel the tire off.. for free.. but they're 50 minutes out of my general pathways.  

• Sad 2

Darrenw85

I'm fortunate that I have a tire shop about 7 miles from the house. I have them mount and dismount all my tires. Just had 6 tires dismounted for $20.  Now the wheels go to powder coat. The guys at powder coat have a tire machine but they can't do small rims or it would be a little more convenient.  Good luck Eric...  

• Thanks 1