Sign in to follow this  
Crow Horse

Liquid Ballast In Front Tires??........

Crow Horse

Any thoughts on loading the front tires with liquid ballast?

Sparky

I wonder if it would make steering at slow speeds difficult :thumbs2: ? Maybe you should have two sets of fronts, one filled and one not filled.

Mike............

Rollerman

Crow the RJ actually came with the front tires loaded.....they are pretty light in front haveing the engines set back so far.

Are you looking for more steering traction or trying to counter weight a heavy implement on the back of your Horse.

Nothing wrong with loading the front tires, but it will make the steering heavier like Mike mentioned.

Sarge

Despite using 16x6.50 V treads on the C-160 and loading them with 1.5 gallons each of RV antifreeze, can't say it steers any harder except on asphalt or concrete. Never really sees much of it, but sure does help it steer when it's wet , muddy or plowing the garden...and helps keep the front tires planted nicely too.

Sarge

eagle854

I used to snowplow my driveway with a rj58 and loaded the front tubes with auto antifreeze and the steering wasn't that bad

Crow Horse

My goal is to add steering traction. Because of the hilly terrain on my property, I'm either going up or down in some manner. On occasions, the front wheels seem to "skid" and ballast might provide some traction/steering........

Crow Horse

Thanks Sarge! Sounds like I'll be loading the fronts as well as the rears. My Horse doesn't see any pavement so I should be good to go.........

MikesRJ

Here's my dumb question for the day. Say you want to load the tires with antifreeze. How does one go about it?

GlenPettit

(1) Auto Stores sell a special filling tool for about $10

MikesRJ

Thanks Glen.

I'll give it a try when I get to that stage.

Mike

CasualObserver

Here's my dumb question for the day. Say you want to load the tires with antifreeze. How does one go about it?

Mike... since I've gleaned from your postings that you're a man of knowledge, documentation and studying... here's a link to study that covers just that subject.

http://www.gemplers.com/tech/tire-liquid.htm

MikesRJ

Thank you Jason, VERY helpful reading. Understanding goes a long way in preventing mistakes, and insuring a successful outcome the first time around. Experience only adds to the value of the knowledge gained in study.

kpinnc

Understanding goes a long way in preventing mistakes, and insuring a successful outcome the first time around. Experience only adds to the value of the knowledge gained in study.

Uhhh,...... yeah- What he said! :thumbs2::thumbs:

Kevin

Crow Horse

Understanding goes a long way in preventing mistakes, and insuring a successful outcome the first time around. Experience only adds to the value of the knowledge gained in study.

Very well stated....... :thumbs2:

wheelhorse101

i loaded my tires on my tractor and uses a drill powered water pump with 1/4 inch hose going into the vale stem and 5 gallon bucket and it worked awesome

linen beige

Experience only adds to the value of the knowledge gained in study.

I've tried that line on a few girls. :thumbs:

It's even worked a time or two. :thumbs2: