formariz

A better throttle cable?

formariz

So I have grown tired of the throttle cable woes on my plow tractor the Electro 12. Got tired of losing clothes pins and readjusting the needle nosed vise-grips. 
 I am going to try this new type. It has everything I need , vernier adjustment, automatic locking steps every 1/16” of travel, locking feature for all adjustments and a quick release bypassing all of the previously mentioned features. Big easy to adjust knobs while wearing heavy gloves. Engine end connections is identical and perfect for the big Kohler. Cable instead of a wire will also tolerate tight turns easier and operate smoother. The only difficulty will be fitting the large mechanism next to tank but I am sure I’ll conquer that. Substantially costlier than a regular one but I believe it will be much superior and last longer.

IMG_4849.jpeg.6911a67a4a22f842260796ed5d544fae.jpeg

IMG_4850.jpeg.b6ffb68e888e0f917aaf18cbcc51de3c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

@formariz  https://www.grainger.com/product/44N750?gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA5L2tBhBTEiwAdSxJX1xROSbMiAXtPqJHzJCNuPafKHVC0TDnwxmNVTkigvucvbdex_zeghoCvd8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds , been using super lube for years , temp range 450 plus / - 60  , hardware stores have it on shelf for about $ 7 . makes cables work consistently easy  , Pete

formariz
Just now, peter lena said:

@formariz  https://www.grainger.com/product/44N750?gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA5L2tBhBTEiwAdSxJX1xROSbMiAXtPqJHzJCNuPafKHVC0TDnwxmNVTkigvucvbdex_zeghoCvd8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds , been using super lube for years , temp range 450 plus / - 60  , hardware stores have it on shelf for about $ 7 . makes cables work consistently easy  , Pete

My biggest issue is the locking feature stopping to function eventually all the time. I want to be able to precisely control throttle depending on what area I am cleaning since my property varies greatly in inclination. I don’t have issues with cable freezing since tractor is stored indoors. 

• Like 5

peter lena

@formariz  added very light extension springs to my throttle linkage levers , numerous extra holes . has really made a difference in response / setting detail , have the spring pulling to assist closed throttle , think about that , with every setting you will have a spring assisting movement . also added a perforated , steel spring go to spot , for spring pull point . have it on my 3 horses , works every time . Pete  

pfrederi
1 hour ago, formariz said:

So I have grown tired of the throttle cable woes on my plow tractor the Electro 12. Got tired of losing clothes pins and readjusting the needle nosed vise-grips. 
 I am going to try this new type. It has everything I need , vernier adjustment, automatic locking steps every 1/16” of travel, locking feature for all adjustments and a quick release bypassing all of the previously mentioned features. Big easy to adjust knobs while wearing heavy gloves. Engine end connections is identical and perfect for the big Kohler. Cable instead of a wire will also tolerate tight turns easier and operate smoother. The only difficulty will be fitting the large mechanism next to tank but I am sure I’ll conquer that. Substantially costlier than a regular one but I believe it will be much superior and last longer.

IMG_4850.jpeg.b6ffb68e888e0f917aaf18cbcc51de3c.jpeg

If it works please share the source.  I am running short of clothes pins:P

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

squonk

Springs don't work.  If you having trouble with cable being hard to move making the cable longer so it "gives/ deflects"  helps a lot. Biggest issue with cables is getting them to stay locked. 

Please let us know the source @formariz

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

ebinmaine

Yep. 

Locked is locked until they ain't locked. 

I'd be interested in the source too. 

• Like 1

ri702bill
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Yep. 

Locked is locked until they ain't locked. 

I'd be interested in the source too. 

As long as it ain't a JD product !!! :scared-eek:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, formariz said:

I want to be able to precisely control throttle depending on what area I am cleaning

I set all my engine RPM around 3K then use the motion control foot pedal to adjust the tractor movement.   

• Like 3

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

As long as it ain't a JD product !!! :scared-eek:

I got paint.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 1

J854D

The picture of that cable reminds me of what was called a PTO control cable that we had access to when I was in the parts  business some years back. I think they were used in trucks that had dump beds and such. -JD-

• Like 3

Rick3478

A lot of the old Bolens Husky tractors had a twist lock throttle IIRC.  Don't know if that part is available, but might be worth investigating?

formariz
On 1/23/2024 at 7:48 PM, J854D said:

The picture of that cable reminds me of what was called a PTO control cable that we had access to when I was in the parts  business some years back. I think they were used in trucks that had dump beds and such. -JD-

It is also advertised as a PTO cable. Seen them also referred to as aircraft throttle cables. 

formariz
On 1/23/2024 at 4:11 PM, squonk said:

Please let us know the source @formariz

IMG_4863.png.6bfd4447336518d91deb53c320acc588.png

squonk

10 feet seems long enough! :)

A standard locking cable at the show is $30 so not a bad deal if it works.

Edited by squonk

formariz
2 hours ago, squonk said:

10 feet seems long enough! :)

A standard locking cable at the show is $30 so not a bad deal if it works.

Once you click on one, different options as to length come up. I got six feet. It’s also a few dollars less. 

• Like 1