paulyv56

dayton/16/42

paulyv56

This tractor has followed me for 15 years. rescued form a field, infested with mice/ nest/ etc. It had the original 16hp B/S. 

I purchased a rebuilt 18hp opposed twin to install. (it was at one point) but i never put belts , pulleys, etc..etc...etc... so the chassis has been sitting..

I think i will now try my hand at making it a runner, cart hauler, push/puller. its built like a tank, rear drive train is stout. i believe its an 80-84 MTD 800 series made for Grainger/Dayton.

i1jt8p3e.png

IMG_6312.jpg

IMG_6315 (1).jpeg

IMG_6318.jpeg

IMG_6316.jpeg

IMG_6319.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Looks like one of the better built MTD products, it bears a strong resemblance to some of the better Craftsman products.      :handgestures-thumbupright:

Dayton was one of the Private Label garden tractors built by MTD. They built units for several dozen other companies and some were very good quality depending on the desires of the customers. About thirty years ago I had an MTD riding mower from the early 1960s that was every bit as tough as the Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger. It had a cast iron front axle and a cast iron three speed transaxle.

• Like 3

ri702bill

Was Dayton not a product line from Graingers??

• Like 3

Handy Don

We had a similar MTD as our camp tractor. The weak point was the front spindles. The steering arms would bend whenever a wheel hit a hole or a big root. A newbie visitor forced it into gear without clutching and we could hear the transmission gears strip. It lives on with a neighbor who swapped in a transmission from a parts tractor while we’ve moved on to a 500-series WH.

• Like 4

D_Mac

Looks a little like this Dynamark I got for free this fall. I got it running but I believe the drive belt on. It is to small as it dosnt disengage when stepping on the clutch. I will get a longer belt for it this spring. Hope you can find information on yours easier then I have had with this. I can't find any info on mine. I'll be guessing at the length of the belt. I also have the deck but is missing the front hanger. You get what you pay for I guess ! Good luck with the Dayton. Hope to see it running again soon. 

20231024_124733.jpg

20231023_175436.jpg

20231021_155017.jpg

• Like 2

paulyv56

I just brought the Dayton inside my work area. It has the stout 2337 transaxle and I found interesting Hurst caliper brake. I am by no means a wrencher/ so I don't know much about tractors, I learn as I go along.

In the second picture there is mount, bolted to the frame in 2 spots. There is a sleeve for a pin? Is that for a plow blade mount?

I just made a motor mount on a wooden bench so I can work on the 18HP oppy before I mount to the frame. baby steps.

IMG_6435.jpg

IMG_6440.jpg

IMG_6439.jpg

IMG_6438.jpg

IMG_6434.jpg

• Like 2

paulyv56

Looks a little like this Dynamark I got for free this fall:

Thats in great shape. Good Luck with that. They always looked like a racecar to me.

• Thanks 1

sjoemie himself
On 2/4/2024 at 7:44 PM, paulyv56 said:

IMG_6435.jpg

IMG_6439.jpg

IMG_6434.jpg

That looks very similar to my mini International 1468 rearend. Does it have the (very) low first gear and a 'H' gearshift pattern? 

• Like 1

paulyv56

well looks like I'll be a 1 owner Wheel Horse kinda guy now. Sold the Dayton and the 18 HP Briggs today. Sold to a gentleman whose son is a mud mower fanatic. Good Home for sure.

Edited by paulyv56
  • Like 1

D_Mac

Lol see if he wants a Dynamark !

sjoemie himself

Tractor followed you for 15 years and now you've sold it within three weeks? I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere :P

Also, 'mud mowing' and 'good home' is a combination I would'nt have thought up :snooty: 

All joking aside, atleast he's not mudding with a WH.. I.. hope?