OoPEZoO

522xi 2-stage thrower PTO shutting off

OoPEZoO

We finally got enough snow to potentially play with my new to me 522xi and 2-stage snow thrower, but I'm having some issues.  Everything seemed fine until I attempted to drive it into some snow.  Then the PTO shuts off.  I could stop, back up, and recycle the PTO to get the auger spinning again.  Then as soon as I tried to actually blow snow, the PTO would shut off again.  I didn't have much time to fiddle with it as I was running out of daylight and needed to get things cleared.  I just backed it into the garage and shut it down.  The trusty old 314 with the plow bailed me out again.  I have all of the manuals and have been reading and searching since I got done, but haven't come up with a good place to start looking yet.  This is also the first time I've tried to use it for anything productive, as I've only had it a few weeks and have only really driven it around the driveway and flipped switches.  Everything appeared to work properly, so I didn't suspect anything until now.

One thing to note......

-I know the seat switch is bypassed by a wire shoved into the connector and wrapped in electrical tape under the seat and these tractors seem to all have seat switch issues.  I haven't looked at the handy work yet but this is the top of my list to investigate

-I've also read a few places about the PTO shutting off when in reverse, but I don't think this applies to my tractor as its a 1998 model, and i believe that was only standard on the '99+ models.  Can someone confirm?

Any other ideas, or something I may be overlooking before I attempt a legitimate troubleshooting adventure?  

gwest_ca

The seat wiring may be the problem. NMIR started with 1999 models.

Download this file as the pto has it's own diagram

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I was wrong.

Seat switch does not control the pto. It controls the ignition.

• Like 1

OoPEZoO

Correct......pretty much all safety related things kill the ignition, and this model does not disable the PTO on reversing.  I've dug through the diagrams and can't come up with a safety switch scenario that could be causing the issue.  It could easily be a connection issue somewhere.  I did come up with the possibility of a weak battery, charging system, or loose battery connection that could cause it.  Essentially, as soon as you start putting a load on the engine, the system voltage drops, and the electric PTO releases.  The tractor starts easily, but we know that doesn't mean the battery isn't weak.  I have zero history on its age or care, so its on my list to check out.  I did toss a battery tender on it this evening to top it off as its been sitting for month+.  I also messed with the PTO button itself and it seems to be working correctly and will reliably engage/disengage the PTO while the engine is off.  

I need to play with it some more, but I'm not keen on running the engine in the garage, and the weather isn't exactly ideal for outdoor troubleshooting.  

I'm already very much looking forward to stripping this tractor down in the spring and giving it a proper check out and cleaning.  

gwest_ca

This should take you to a thumbnail drawing of the wiring in color. Click on the fuzzy part of the link.

• Like 1

Wayne0

The PTO on my '84 Work Horse started popping out last year while mowing. It turned out the clutch facing was totally gone. Something to look at.

OoPEZoO
20 minutes ago, Wayne0 said:

The PTO on my '84 Work Horse started popping out last year while mowing. It turned out the clutch facing was totally gone. Something to look at.

Tractor only has 220ish hrs on it, so hopefully that is not the case.....but I will certainly add it to the list and get eyeballs on it.  appreciate the input

JoeM

Your right not much there to go wrong.

If the battery checks out take a closer look at these things maybe twice.

Check charging voltage should be 13 with the clutch on. 

I have had some electrical issues with the connection to the ignition switch. Sometimes the plug will melt a bit. Also, make sure the 30 amp and 10 amp fuses are making up good. They I have found those melted and not making good contact. The solenoid plug in on the right side of the engine. check that connection as well as the ground. It hooks up at he base of the engine mounting bolt.

image.png.b3a54035d09253a9b080163894adf6bb.png

OoPEZoO

Connections is my #1 suspect. I know the previous owner parked it outside.  When going to look at it, I pulled the house up on google maps and looked at street view and saw it parked next to the garage.  I’ve pulled a few easily accessible connectors apart and every single one of them has some blueish/greenish surface corrosion going on……nothing that can’t be easily fixed, just a lot of time consuming busy work that would be better if the temp in the shop was about 50 degrees warmer 😜

I don’t expect I’ll have time to tear into it until at least next weekend

JoeM

Yeah that is an issue not being inside, especially when they get older. Do take a good look at that ignition sw and fuse connects knowing it has been left out.

Hope this helped.

Just a little bit more info. Here is the service manual for the clutch. It is a Warner 5218-23 (Toro Part #94-2190)

p-1177-we Warner xi electric clutch manual.pdf

467768502_Capture942190xielectricclutchspecfromwarner.JPG.3f7b67e89cc5487be3144f83a676760f.JPG

OoPEZoO

Ahh…sweet.  I hadn’t dug that up yet. Thank you