paulyv56

Sad day, But.....

paulyv56

I had to tow the Bolens out, looks like it's going to another home. I always wanted a Bolens. I've had more trouble with that oh-160- techy and the solid state ignition. Spent a good amount of money chasing the no spark issue, finally fixed it.($300) Then the rings went on the motor. 

I fixed that by purchasing 'Bug Tussle", my 312-8 .  Sad day, but not really, frees up space for another Wheel Horse.  sshhhhh, don't tell my wife.

20240117_142114.jpg

20240117_142153.jpg

20240117_143733.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Joe Shmo

Bottom pic looks a lot like what I would think heaven looks like 🙂

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

TractorEd

Sounds like a win-win.  I hope you fill the empty space with something neat!

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, paulyv56 said:

Spent a good amount of money chasing the no spark issue, finally fixed it.($300) Then the rings went

There's a few aftermarket ways to get the spark back but the engine needing a rebuild... well there's a line to drawn somewhere.  

I have an appreciation for several brands and models of Garden Tractors.  

The older Bolens is a well known and liked machine. 

Wheelhorse though...

They're tough, easy to build and maintain, parts availability is excellent,  overall I'd be hard pressed to point out a better purchase for a good hard working machine with ease of ownership.  

2 hours ago, paulyv56 said:

sshhhhh, don't tell my wife.

Don't worry about the Wife. 

We won't tell. 

We may in fact be capable of feeding your addiction to Horses. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Moonshine*Connoisseur

One feature of some of the bolens that I did like was on the left wheel hub,  it has a posi lock that you could turn. I have fond memories of those tube frame bolens and wheel horses that my father had when I was a kid. I still remember the day that the dealer delivered a brand new 312-8 to the house, it was raining that day in 1993 but that didn't stop us from driving it around. I always wanted to cut the grass with it, maybe that's why I still love to cut grass to this day....with a wheel horse of course. Thank you for sharing your story, sure sparks memories for us. 

• Like 2

paulyv56
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

There's a few aftermarket ways to get the spark back but the engine needing a rebuild

I did install an exicter from Dale at Overnight Solutions  It ran great, Then the motor issues 3 months later.

Your right, have to draw the line.  Looking forward to future Wheel Horse purchases.

• Like 1

paulyv56
57 minutes ago, Moonshine*Connoisseur said:

One feature of some of the bolens that I did like was on the left wheel hub,  it has a posi lock that you could turn

Yes, you could lock it for plowing and pulling, and 3 turns it was able to free wheel for mowing. i did not mow with the 1556 was a wagon puller, wood chip spreader. 

shes gone, guy came this evening and took it away. his son has a shop project now. He will rebuild the motor and get class credit as well. It is in good hands.

• Excellent 4