goldeagle

Carb leaking on K341

goldeagle

Thought I would start a separate topic now I've addressed my original engine problem (bent exhaust valve) and got the engine running again.

I've managed to sort the throttle connection out and engine seems to be running fine now, but I've noticed the carb is leaking quite a bit of gas, seems to be leaking through the gaskets between the bowl and body. I've had the carb off a couple of times now to check everything is in the right position, I also put the original needle back in, in case the new non-OEM needle was causing the problem (it was square shape rather than triangle shape). I did check the float levels were as per the service manual.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be? I will get another set of gaskets as I will have to take it apart again, but is there anything obvious I should check for?

ebinmaine

There's a fair chance the bottom of the bowl is no longer flat.

I've also had a few come across my bench that had two gaskets instead of one. Definitely only want one. And it goes against the head of the bolt. Not between the bowl and the pickup tube.

There's a replacement bowl available that's actually a Briggs & Stratton number. I keep a few in stock. It's steel instead of aluminum.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

You'll also want to take a very close look at the bowl to make sure it's not pitted anywhere.  

• Like 1

squonk

I've had many of those carb leak with new gaskets and new Briggs bowl. The seal for the bowl nut never seems to like to seal completely. I've gone to coating the bottom of the bowl with Permatex Aviation sealant as well as the sealing washer

• Like 2

ebinmaine
42 minutes ago, squonk said:

I've gone to coating the bottom of the bowl with Permatex Aviation sealant as well as the sealing washer

Looks like that stuff has a bunch of uses.