HorseFixer

Sheared Key On Tall Chute

HorseFixer

Well it was fun while it lasted!! We finally got a Snow That was worth getting the Snow Chucker out and the fun lasted all of about 15 minutes.  ;) I was in the front of the drive and musta got close to some rocks I had along the front porch and I heard a rattle and noticed the blower NO WORKEY. After pulling it into the garage and taking the cover off. I discovered a Key part # 30 which Toro calls it 937221 KEY-HI PRO must have sheared cause MR. SPROKET spins freely on the GEARBOX Shaft when turning the belt. I came into get some coffee and to think about it a minute so OLE HORSEFIXER will get his GAME face on and see if i can go fix it. Has anyone had this problem before? I know there is a shearpin somewhere I just never have run into it. Anyway ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?   ~Duke

MASTER PART VIEWER2.jpg

PARTS LIST2.jpg

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Sad 2

WHX??

Yep been down this road. Well kinda ... when I went through my deuce that key was battered up good.  I just replaced it then and there. 

Does yours have little ears on the end like this? 

That's what the hi-pro means.  High profile. 

McMaster has them. I ground one out of key stock. 

20240114_111437.jpg

• Like 1

HorseFixer

I think so. what I did was take off the master link on the chain loosened the gear box pried it back and slid the sproket twd the front exposing the shaft keyway.  I don't see any key material left in there? Huh it EVAPORATED :D  I am on my way to Harbor Freight to see if they have an assortment if not ill go to TSC and see if I can get a chunk of it no doubt I will need to grind it down. I will get some pictures later to show what I did if anyone wants to add to this go ahead and BRING IT!    ~DUKE of KEYWAY.........  ;)

HorseFixer

Yes it does mean HIGH PROFILE but Ole Hillbillys like me call them WOODRUFF KEYS guess they have HILLBILLYS at Harbor Freight too!  :D  Well anyways Got the groceries now I can go fix it! I will post pics later..  ~Duke of WOODRUFF KEYS!  B)

woodruff keys.jpg

McMaster Carr.jpg

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

wallfish
11 minutes ago, HorseFixer said:

Yes it does mean HIGH PROFILE but Ole Hillbillys like me call them WOODRUFF KEYS

The HP (high profile) on the woodruff key is the little extra flat on the top edges that extends past the curve. You can see it on the second illustration, the side view you posted for McMaster Carr.

Also don't know if those metric ones you got will fit as tight but maybe file a bigger one down to cover both bases.

• Like 3

HorseFixer

Well I ended up having to remove the chain because the larger sprocket was out of alignment. After I loosened the square head bolts i drove the sprocket over to the right, to put it back in alignment. This all took way too much time prolly 8 hrs (after the STROKE I had 6 years ago, I aint as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!)  The MASTER LINK I had to take out took out had it had a TINY PIN that had a half moon on one end then had a TINY COTTER KEY to afix the pin. ( IT ALL WAS A REAL POOTA!) I finally finished up and chucked the drive. All went well after that with no further surprises. I found a Woodruff Key in that metric kit that fit like a glove. I think being the larger pulley was out of Alignment it tended to pull the smaller pulley over in that direction which MUCKED UP the Woodruff Key.  ~Duke of SPROCKET ALIGNMENT

20240114_150120,2.jpg

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 2